Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Just stayed here over Easter. Loved this hotel for 7k points a night. Staff could use slightly better training though.

One thing I couldn't figure out; I had the Make a Green Choice card up the entire time but they still made my room up (and gave me the points). Anyone know why? Normally on a short stay I prefer not having my room entered or cleaned - I didn't mind this time though as I got sand all over the place fairly quickly.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I think so. I am Platinum and paid an extra 6000 pts to be in the Royal Beach Club wing (for 5 nights). See my post 2 above yours. As a Plat, I would have been entitled to breakfast anyhow which I don't think you get. Plus free cocktails and appetizers in the evening.
Is this something offered online or did you call reservations or the hotel directly to get this?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Called the Plat desk.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:39 am

Kids Club Cancun

Can anyone provide any info on this at this resort? Activities? What cost? Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by horns78232
Can anyone provide any info on this at this resort? Activities? What cost? Thanks
Kids club is great here. No charge most of the time. If I remember correctly, there may be the occasional charge for certain activities (cooking, maybe?). Check the schedule - I think they're closed on Mondays. Took our 5 year olds last summer and they loved it (but they love kids clubs at hotels in general).

The kids club is its own building at the back of the hotel. There's also a fenced in yard with an outdoor play area.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:26 am

RBC Upgrade Question:

We stayed here in April as SPG Preferred Guests and upgraded to RBC with points and LOVED it so much that we booked a trip for February '17. Recently we qualified for SPG Gold and am wondering if Gold status gets free upgrades to the Royal Beach Club or is that just for Platinums? If not we'll use points to upgrade again because it was well worth it!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:43 am

Past practice would say just for Plats.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a Plat, I used points to upgrade to RBC.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold
How many points did you pay to upgrade RBC and what are the benefits?

Originally Posted by margarita girl
As a Plat, I used points to upgrade to RBC.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unrdchi
Go back a few pages to post #243.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by unrdchi
1500/night

You need to call SPG to upgrade. It is WELL worth it and practically makes it an all-inclusive:

Nicer building, less crowded, more upscale crowd, private pool, free breakfasts (main breakfast is much better, but RBC includes Sparkling wine), 2 hour Happy Hour with food & drinks! We made sandwiches at breakfast and brought them to the beach!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Westin Cancun or Punta Cana?

Am planning a 5-night caribbean trip around May/June next year. I was considering the Westin Punta Cana, which looks lovely at 10k/night, but I'm worried I'll feel trapped because there's nothing much outside the resort... Cancun feels like it has more options. Has anyone been to both and can offer a comparison?

Cancun would be a great plus in terms of food options outside of the resort, although I would be looking at using an extra 1.5k points for RBC. I’m worried that the physical property in Cancun might be a bit rundown, whereas the Punta Cana looks sumptuous. Is that a fair assessment?

Will be travelling with a 1.5 year old, but we like enjoying the beach as well as being out and about for dinner, etc.

Also, how many points do you get for attending a timeshare pitch at the Lagunamar?

Last edited by RafKa; Jul 15, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
How close to the first bus stop?

From what I can tell, it looks like the Westin is just south of where the southernmost end of the R1/R2 bus route runs. At a point north of the resort, it appears that the southbound buses take the last uturn before the road heads to the mainland.

That said, can anyone confirm how far the nearest bus stop is? I assume that on the northbound side, it is the first stop, but from what I can tell it is not in front of the resort. We stayed at Lagunamar and there were bus stops in both directions almost directly in front. I'd want to confirm that it would be a reasonable walk from this property. Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LPCJr
From what I can tell, it looks like the Westin is just south of where the southernmost end of the R1/R2 bus route runs. At a point north of the resort, it appears that the southbound buses take the last uturn before the road heads to the mainland.

That said, can anyone confirm how far the nearest bus stop is? I assume that on the northbound side, it is the first stop, but from what I can tell it is not in front of the resort. We stayed at Lagunamar and there were bus stops in both directions almost directly in front. I'd want to confirm that it would be a reasonable walk from this property. Thanks.
Bus stop is just outside the gates of the hotel. Well, almost just outside -- maybe 50 feet away. You should have no problem.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:32 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Sean Hanley
1500/night

You need to call SPG to upgrade. It is WELL worth it and practically makes it an all-inclusive:

Nicer building, less crowded, more upscale crowd, private pool, free breakfasts (main breakfast is much better, but RBC includes Sparkling wine), 2 hour Happy Hour with food & drinks! We made sandwiches at breakfast and brought them to the beach!
Upscale?! I think not. Never seen so many greedy overweight individuals grabbing as much free food and drink as they could carry. Horrible place and horrible property. Staff were ok though. They need to close down and do total refurbishment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.