Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by wildeflowers
Hi, all, new here. I just booked a stay at the Westin Ka'anapali for December using SPG point and requesting a suite upgrade with our Suite Night Awards. We've used points before, but I've never done the suite upgrade thing. Does anyone know how likely or unlikely it is that we will be able to use those/get upgraded? Since we're going to be there over Christmas, I am hoping to have a little extra space for our family and since we continue to celebrate our son's win over cancer.

We are platinum members, and I'm interested in how nice the suites are, as how we are treated on this trip will help my husband decide which hotel group he uses fairly exclusively next year. He had been using Hyatt quite a lot, but I found out that they have all but 2 days of our trip blacked out currently at the Hyatt Maui resorts and that's the reason we are using spg points instead! The points don't do us any good if we can't use them. He can choose nearly any chain as he spends a great deal of time in Hong Kong, so much that he nearly had to pay income taxes in Hong Kong last year. We want to make sure that if he's spending that much time at a hotel, that the rewards are worth it.
Hi Wildeflowers,
I'm sorry I can't answer your question since I am about to take my first trip to this property. But I wanted to say a belated welcome to FT, and wish you and your family congratulations and best wishes for your son's continued good health!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:11 pm

Hi, all, new here. I just booked a stay at the Westin Ka'anapali for December using SPG point and requesting a suite upgrade with our Suite Night Awards. We've used points before, but I've never done the suite upgrade thing. Does anyone know how likely or unlikely it is that we will be able to use those/get upgraded?
I already have a suite booked there for over Christmas... one down. I am not sure how many they have. But that is a very popular time of the year. I would be surprised if any suites were available.

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: United Gold, Starwood Plat
I've been lurking here for a while and found the reviews helpful so I thought I'd pass along what I've learned.

Just got back from two weeks in Hawaii. First week was at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa and second week was at the Sheraton Waikiki. I used points for both hotels and used 14 Suite Night awards. This was a shoulder-season trip so I was optimistic about the possibility of upgrades, but because I was traveling with my wife and toddler I wanted to up my chances. I received an email 5 days prior to checkin letting me know that the upgrade cleared. At the Westin the suite we received was underwhelming (the bedroom and bathroom were dated and cramped), but it did have the extra room so oh well. At the Sheraton Waikiki I received an additional upgrade on top of what had been confirmed through the Suite Nights.

Quick review of the Westin: My suite (391) was in the tower closest to the ocean and had views in two directions (straight out over the beach and looking up the beach towards Black Rock and the Sheraton). Being on a low floor we did have some noise and light pollution from the neighboring restaurants and parking. The suite seemed really tired. Barely up to Westin standards. The bed was comfy, but the covers belonged in Colorado, not Maui. The suite had a standard sized closet in the bedroom which was not big enough to fit all our luggage. The bathroom had a really tiny (less than 9 sq. ft.) shower stall, a separate tub (standard, not jacuzzi), and a tiny toilet room. The AC never cooled the room as much as it should (could have been all the afternoon sun) and the black-out shades let in lots of light around the edges. All that said, we were in Maui and really enjoyed ourselves. The Westin is in a great location so all the little nits weren't that big of a deal. My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Maui 3 years ago and I think the room quality there may have been better (we weren't in a suite there though). The Westin is closer to the shopping and dining options though and its water slide is pretty fun.

-Brandon
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Suite Not Likely...

I just booked a stay at the Westin Ka'anapali for December using SPG point and requesting a suite upgrade with our Suite Night Awards. Does anyone know how likely or unlikely it is that we will be able to use those/get upgraded?
This place is notorious for not being very generous when it comes to upgrades... at ANY time of the year. On my last visit, as a Platinum, they first gave me a dowdy room overlooking the parking lot. Requested a room change, and only after a lot of waiting and "lets see what we can do"-ing did they come up with a better room... not great... but I took it.

Still enjoyed my stay... as I factor the SPG angle and pricing into my decision to stay here... and go with little expectation of great service. When you do that you'll enjoy the amazing location of the hotel in this island paradise. I've always thought of how great this place could be with some effort from management, but I'm now over that thought as I realize they have no interest in being that kind of place.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:27 pm

Westin Maui Construction

I was told the Ocean Tower at the Westin Maui is undergoing construction. Has anyone been there during this or know any more details? Are there any interruptions in any of the public areas?

Mahalo
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Premier
I am staying here in January so I am very intrigued/concerned about this. From a very reliable source...

http://blog.saveonaloha.com/2012/08/...t-remodel.html

Westin Maui is getting ready for a facelift! Get ready for some reduced construction rates!

A multi-million-dollar room refurbishment at the Westin, which will cover 553 guest rooms and suites in the Ocean Tower. The rooms will have new furniture, carpeting and décor as well as a new “spa-like” glass-enclosed shower in place of the former bathtub. Vanity units will also be moved to make way for ...
larger closet space.

Construction will begin on September 10 and continue through early spring. Guests will still be able to use both the Ocean and Beach Towers, and the spa, restaurants bars and “aquatic playground” will all remain open. In order to minimize guest impact, Torres says that only one floor will be renovated at a time, and the floors above and below the construction will be taken out of service
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:16 pm

Review from our stay

This is a review from our September stay. I hope it helps.

http://freetravelguys.com/hotel/the-...napali-review/
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:49 am

construction rates? not that i see, not a word about it on the site i was on
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, SQ Gold
Starpoints for Villas Presentation

Does anyone one know what the desk at the Westin is currently offering as an incentive to visit the Villas and sit through the timeshare presentation? How many starpoints are on offer?

Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I am still tossing up between booking this property on SPG points or P&C if they ever release space; or booking Maui Hyatt next door. I am more concerned with having lush, tropical grounds and being on the beach than the moderness of the rooms. If I did book this on points, would they be likely to upgrade me as a Gold member? We don't need a suite but ocean view would be nice!

The other option is try my luck on Priceline, it's usually either the Westin, Sheraton or Hyatt that people win.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:01 pm

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Westin Maui. The rooms were a little dated (think carpets fraying) but we loved the grounds and being right on the beach. You will get an upgrade if one is available, but doubt you’ll get an ocean view. I was only gold at the time we stayed, and we were told very sternly that we would only get a one category upgrade, which meant going from a room overlooking the parking lot to a garden view room on a lower floor (booked on points so we were going to get cheapest room before the upgrade). It actually wound up being nice because we were overlooking the waterfalls, and it was a nice sound to listen to. Can’t comment on property next door but we had a good experience at the Westin.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by SFW13
Does anyone one know what the desk at the Westin is currently offering as an incentive to visit the Villas and sit through the timeshare presentation? How many starpoints are on offer?

Thanks
I got 4500 in December
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:14 pm

FYI - The Hyatt is not next door. It is at least a 10 minute walk along the beach path.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by SFW13

Thanks
We recieved 7500 2 weeks ago
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by somogyi03
We recieved 7500 2 weeks ago
That's not bad! How painful was it? Were they really pushy and did it take forever? We won't be staying there unless they open up C&P which I don't think will happen. But we might win it on Priceline if we don't use UR points for the Hyatt.

A 10 minute walk along the beach is fine with us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.