Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Premier
DCF - That was a fantastic post. We visit the Westin Maui on an annual basis and your summary was spot on. The only thing that I would add is...

I have found the front desk staff to be very helpful. Please note that these people get bombarded every day with requests for better rooms. There is limited suite inventory and every plat is trying to get a better room along with gold's thinking they are entitled to a significant upgrade. What I have learned is that if you can be friendly to the front desk people, they are willing to work with you to possibly get you that suite upgrade at the end of your stay. I have several times been able to get an ocean view regular room for the first couple nights and then move into a suite for the remaining nights of my stay. Yes, it is a hassle to move rooms...but if you can handle the couple hours of inconvenience, you'll get the suite you were looking for without using SNA's.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Thanks DCF for a good summary. I am taking my first trip to Hawaii next month and staying here as well as the Royal Hawaiian. It gets pretty depressing reading about experiences at the Hawaii Starwoods as the negative seem to outweigh the positives compared to other destinations. One thing I did pick up from my research here was not to expect an upgrade, especially as a gold. This is the first time I am using additional points to up my room category. I hope once there I can add a positive review here. Sorry to hear about Sarah9228's honeymoon experience.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Does anyone know the email address of the Guest Relation Manager for the Westin Maui? Gregg Lundberg is listed as the General Manager on my confirmations. Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Blizzysip
Does anyone know the email address of the Guest Relation Manager for the Westin Maui? Gregg Lundberg is listed as the General Manager on my confirmations. Thanks.
A call to their main number should be able to garner you that information.

(808) 667-2525
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:18 pm

I write this on Day four of my six day stay. As part of their current Ocean Tower renovation they are taking the railings off the ocean facing balconies on the top 3 floors. The noise of hammer drills is constant. While at the pool it is mostly blocked by the sound of the waterfalls if you stay in your room it is a nuisance. It has put a big negative on what has been otherwise a really nice stay. If you are staying soon I suggest you request the other tower if possible.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:46 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by DCF
I feel genuinely sorry for Sarah9228's ruined honeymoon, and some of the service issues she endured are totally unacceptable.

But it was a terrible idea to use Starpoints and attempted SNAs for a honeymoon at that hotel, especially during the southern hemisphere winter holidays.

Firstly, those of us familiar with this board know that the standard award rooms are just terrible at the Westin Maui (the ones with a view of the parking lot and no closet). In actual fact, they got a room above Ono restaurant which means that they were upgraded from the usual award inventory in the ocean tower to the beach tower with the better rooms (including a closet!). Realistically, that was as good as it was going to get.

Secondly, while the US economy in general is going badly, Hawaiian hotel occupancy is very high because tourism from Australia and New Zealand is going through the roof. And this trip was scheduled slap-bang in the middle of the New Zealand winter school holidays and at the end of the main Australian ones. The chances of a better upgrade, let alone fulfillment of SNAs, was minimal.

Thirdly, this property is a resort. Platinums are not entitled to a late checkout. I always fly out of Hawaii on a late night flight (I have to fly out of HNL because I live in Australia) and I invariably book an extra night wherever I'm staying so that I can keep my room, my safe, my shower etc, etc. I had the same problem at St Regis Monarch Beach last week: my bags were left outside on a trolley all day and while I was allowed to shower in the spa, my kids had to shower at the "pool showers" OUTSIDE the restrooms.

Fourthly, the Westin Maui is not a luxury resort by any means. The only genuinely luxurious Starwood property with top-notch customer service in the islands is the St Regis Princeville, and that is blighted by excessive rain. The issue of "room placement" is an interesting one. Should the hotel give its crummiest rooms to people who are actually paying for a room or to people on award stays who have status earned elsewhere? That debate could go on forever!

As someone who owns at the Westin Kaanapali Villas and probably averages 15-20 paid Starwood hotel nights in Hawaii each year, these are the rules I operate by:

1. View Hawaii as a destination for earning Starpoints, not burning them. The 35% off rack plus 5th or 6th night free usually allows access to a good room category at a less scary price, while allowing heavy earning, and is almost always the way to go, especially as it's often linked to double or even triple Starpoints.
2. Don't book a lower category room than you would be prepared to occupy, because high occupancy levels mean that upgrades just can't be assumed to be likely. If you book an award stay, make sure that you have read all about the base room category, because you're probably going to have to occupy one of those rooms.
3. View SNA's as a "maybe but unlikely".
4. Never, ever expect a late checkout. If you're on a late flight, buy another night.
5. Don't just consider the US school holidays when you book. Make sure that you steer clear of Japan's Golden Week and also don't book without first checking out the Australian and New Zealand school holidays.

Well said. Why would anyone want to go to the Westin Maui on their honeymoon is beyond me particularly as this is a more 'mass market family resort'. She should just be lucky that she only paid points for the resort and not hard earned cash (probably points paid for by employers anyway). Always better to pay for the room you want particularly on a special occasion like your honeymoon. I keep hearing gripes of plats moaning that their special vacation (be it honeymoon, babymoon, anniversary) was a let down. For a special vacation I would always choose somewhere I really want to go rather than a sub par resort just to 'burn' some points for a free stay. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for in life.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:41 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ghia74
I write this on Day four of my six day stay. As part of their current Ocean Tower renovation they are taking the railings off the ocean facing balconies on the top 3 floors. The noise of hammer drills is constant. While at the pool it is mostly blocked by the sound of the waterfalls if you stay in your room it is a nuisance. It has put a big negative on what has been otherwise a really nice stay. If you are staying soon I suggest you request the other tower if possible.
I just returned and this work is ongoing and encompasses probably 2/3rds of the main building. They're basically gutting it.

If you plan on spending any time on the balcony - even in the other tower - stay away or bring some Advil.

The information about the renovation on the website is buried under "Announcement" and never presented when you book. The claims about "9-5" work are not accurate - it's more like 730 - 630 or 7.

We were not aware - it wasn't mentioned anywhere in our confirmation booked way in advance and several other folks told us that they were never notified. If you're in the Ocean tower, forget about taking a nap in your room.

Overall, the place was less crowded than last trip and i didn't deal with the same "we're full, enjoy this room by the dumpster" shenanigans that required intervention from the Plat desk as on my last trip so that's an improvement.

Overall, the hotel is a borderline hall of shame vs. "meh" IMO.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I have a 5 night stay booked next year in a standard points room (golf/mountain view i think). Could anyone tell me from experience if it would be worth 10k points to upgrade to an ocean view? That is for the stay, not per night.

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by drewdawg199
I have a 5 night stay booked next year in a standard points room (golf/mountain view i think). Could anyone tell me from experience if it would be worth 10k points to upgrade to an ocean view? That is for the stay, not per night.

Thanks
I would say yes, for the noise factor alone. Mountain view is really the parking lot view and noise could be an issue at night. I used points to upgrade the room and was glad. Although make sure you are not near the elevator as it buzzes on each floor and it's loud.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:50 am

Anyone know when all these renovations will be complete? We were there last April and the manager said if we returned next year (April '14) it would be an entirely new hotel. From recent reviews this seems iffy.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I spoke to the hotel a few days ago, they indicated May/June but I would check directly with them. Also, if you have the points, book sheraton too as backup?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: United Plat, SPG/Marriott/Hyatt Gold
Guys -- I've stayed here a couple times before but a couple recent reviews on tripadvisor are making me awfully nervous. Can anyone report on how the construction is going / impacting things right now?

I am staying there during Thanksgiving week. Wondering if I should cancel and move to the Sheraton (also stayed there a couple times before). I picked the Westin because my kids prefer the pools and I like to be right next to Whaler's Village....
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:01 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
We just stayed there for 5 nights last week. We were in the Beach Tower (non-construction tower) and we certainly could see the work going on and hear it, but it was not so loud that we didn't thoroughly enjoy our stay. I would imagine it could be more of an issue if you are in the Ocean Tower, close to the floors that are being worked on.

We did not hear anyone complaining about it pool side, where we spent a lot of time. One plus of the construction is that the usual "towels on all the lounge chairs by 6 AM" was not an issue. You could go poolside at any time and find plenty of open lounge chairs. It was great.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tnw
We just stayed there for 5 nights last week. We were in the Beach Tower (non-construction tower) and we certainly could see the work going on and hear it, but it was not so loud that we didn't thoroughly enjoy our stay. I would imagine it could be more of an issue if you are in the Ocean Tower, close to the floors that are being worked on.

We did not hear anyone complaining about it pool side, where we spent a lot of time. One plus of the construction is that the usual "towels on all the lounge chairs by 6 AM" was not an issue. You could go poolside at any time and find plenty of open lounge chairs. It was great.
Almost a complete ditto here. Just returned yesterday. 5 nights Beach Tower Premium Ocean View (side facing pool) and had no issues with noise. Spent every day, all day at the pool in the adult only upper deck Makai Gazebo and really didn't notice much noise at all.

And as occupancy is low due to so many rooms being out of inventory, as tnw said...pool area is really nice with plenty of lounges available...I'd say only 1/3 full, tops. Hotel was sold out the entire length of our stay.

I imagine Beach Tower Deluxe Ocean View (facing Whalers Village) would be the most quiet, but really, facing the pool was no problem.

But I also imagine Ocean Tower would be another matter. Saw many folks at the front desk trying to change rooms due to noise.

Public areas not effected anywhere by construction that we could see. Just guest room work going on in Ocean Tower.

Great stay.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: United Plat, SPG/Marriott/Hyatt Gold
Okay, so what I am reading here clearly suggests to request a room in the Beach Tower, right? I am only an SPG Gold now and on a points redemption but it never hurts to ask....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.