Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Vancouver Wall Center, Vancouver BC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Vancouver Wall Center, Vancouver BC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You got lucky and picked the best one.

We always opt for the Sheraton. Great Platinum recognition and a very nice lounge with a terrific view.
As of last week, the lounge is a third floor meeting room.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Wow, that's disappointing.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Originally Posted by mendy7511
The lounge is extremely disappointing at the hotel:

It is not cleaned between different people at breakfast. The same table cloth is used for everyone.

Nobody manning the "lounge" during non-breakfast or evening appetizers. So anybody can walk in without any problems and take whatever they want. Since it is not manned, nobody ever comes to clean the lounge either.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by aviationp
The lounge is extremely disappointing at the hotel:

It is not cleaned between different people at breakfast. The same table cloth is used for everyone.

Nobody manning the "lounge" during non-breakfast or evening appetizers. So anybody can walk in without any problems and take whatever they want. Since it is not manned, nobody ever comes to clean the lounge either.
I was also surprised there was no staff. Anyone can walk in and help themselves. I guess they figure having a few people help themselves to some snacks is cheaper than paying someone to sit there.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:36 pm

Going with family last week of June. Trying to decide between this Sheraton and Westin Bayshore. Prefer location of Bayshore but nice to have club lounge for family breakfast. Is the lounge expected to be back up and running for end June? Any other advice or factors to consider from those who've been to both would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Was here this past weekend for one night. Lounge is still on the third floor. Access is controlled by your room key which is (at least in theory) given to only people who are eligible to use the facility. We observed several large groups coming in at a time, mostly 2-4 adults with a large number (5-10) of teenagers. This may be because it was the weekend of the FIFA Women's World Cup game between Canada and England, and it is entirely possible that the entire groups were eligible to be there. The real issue with the large groups were that they were like locusts -- one group would descend and help themselves to an equivalent of 2-3 servings of whatever, and within minutes the fridge and tables would be bare. And even though there was a staff member there, replenishing the stocks seemed a thankless and never-ending task. And when there were more than two groups in the lounge, the volume was so high that you couldn't hear yourself speak.

I must admit it was not quite the lounge experience that I appreciate, but it could just be a function of the weekend. Would be interested in hearing about others experiences on weekdays.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by acousticbiker
Is the lounge expected to be back up and running for end June?
When we were there a couple of weeks ago, they said September at the earliest.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Just found out you can book a family suite (1King+2DBls) for 11500 points.
Only 1500 more than a standard room.
Works out great for my family vacation to Hawaii.
We are taking a 1 night layover in Vancouver on our way from Toronto to break things up a bit and the kids have never been to Vancouver.
With 3 boys, having a hotel room with 3 beds is rare and welcome.
I wanted to stay at the Westin Bayshore but was forced to look elsewhere as it was sold out. Turns out for the best as I get a much more comfortable room, and although location is not quite as nice, its still in a good central downtown spot close to everything.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by shawneve
Just found out you can book a family suite (1King+2DBls) for 11500 points.
We did this last month when some friends came to visit. Just note that the two double beds are in place of a living room, and there's still only one bathroom.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Will the south tower ever be renovated?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Had a nice stay at this hotel. The lounge is still on the 3rd floor and I did not get any upgrade as the hotel was fully booked over the Memorial Day weekend but the dinner time options in the lounge were very good. The south tower has been renovated and even the regular room there was fine. Given the amount and quality of the food offered in the lounge we didn't have to eat out for either breakfast or dinner which was nice. The location was great. The gym, pool, hot tubs were all nice. Wish Vancouver had Uber but there are some zipcars close by. Overall, it was a great value for an award stay.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:46 pm

Thumbs up

I checked into this property the other day. I can happily report that renovations to their club lounge are now complete (just in the past 5 days, I was told).

The club lounge is now on the 25th floor in the South Tower and is accessed using your room key. The lounge is spread across two levels (with a fancy spiral staircase leading to the second level) and also has a fair sized balcony with a great view of the city.

Like most lounges, there's also a washroom upstairs and workstation with a computer set up.

Although the lounge is multi-level, it's not overly huge, and can get crowded when the hotel is sold out. What I didn't particularly like was how the food area was designed. It's to the corner of the lounge and can feel like a tight squeeze when trying to get by people lining up, or waiting to fill up their cups with coffee. Not the best set up with traffic flow in mind. Food was good, however. They had pasta and calamari along with a good cold spread (including smoked salmon).

Along with the upgrade to the lounge, rooms in the South Tower have also been updated. Given the choice between the two towers, I would probably always opt for the South Tower now - it's where the club lounge is located and the bulk of the hotel's suites, so if you're a Plat member you'll probably want to end up here anyways.

The advantages I can think of for the North Tower are: It has more floors (if you want to be higher up), the standard rooms in this tower are slightly larger, and the restaurant/bar and fitness facilities are located here. It's also more integrated with the underground parking, if that matters to you.

Overall a great stay and Platinum recognition was very good for me. They must deal with many SPG Elites, as I was asked if I wanted to use the Make A Green Choice option without having to inquire or have anxiety over calling down and hoping that my request gets noted correctly. Also, I saw them personally deliver room keys to guests waiting in the lounge for their rooms to be cleaned, which is a nice touch.

Last edited by Dreamflight; Jul 30, 2016 at 4:52 pm
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:51 pm

By your description, it sounds like the "new" lounge is exactly like it was before the renovation. I wonder why it took so long to do basically nothing?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
By your description, it sounds like the "new" lounge is exactly like it was before the renovation. I wonder why it took so long to do basically nothing?
I had never visited the lounge pre-renovation, so I'm not entirely sure. But you're right - given the length of time the renovation took my impression when I walked in was that it was perhaps a whole new space with an additional floor and everything, but I guess that's not the case.

From some photos of I found of what the lounge looked like pre-renovation, it looks like it's mostly: new hardwood floors, carpeting, counters, furniture, and possibly the little artsy wall lighting thing that's displayed next to the staircase (or that may have been there before). I would also take a stab and guess that the washroom and kitchen were redone, but I'm speculating there
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:38 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Dreamflight

Along with the upgrade to the lounge, rooms in the South Tower have also been updated. Given the choice between the two towers, I would probably always opt for the South Tower now - it's where the club lounge is located and the bulk of the hotel's suites, so if you're a Plat member you'll probably want to end up here anyways.
To compliment and present the contrarian view to this comment, I recently stayed about 7 days ago and tried out the renovated rooms in the South Tower. The renovation is a standard refurbish with nothing overly special or over the top.

Although the South Tower has more suites available, I missed out on the suite upgrade as SPG Platinum and ended up with the room booked. Even the occassion of staying for MrsWT73's birthday was not able to sway any love. Out of about three stays in the last year (weekdays and weeknights) I have not had a single suite upgrade here.

The rooms in the South Tower I find are generally smaller than the north tower. I would say that the days of easy upgrades at this property are over, based on my stay experiences. If you wanted to hedge your bets, you'd be better off with a larger room in the North Tower than playing lotto with a smaller room. This will be my next strategy as the corner rooms in the North Tower are pretty good.

The 25th floor lounge has a small outdoor deck. We were able to take in the Honda Symphony of Light fireworks display from here with a so so view (try it once). The hotel did provide two drink tickets per person during our stay. Lounge alcohol was typically for charge so this was a nice gesture on the part of the hotel.

My last comment is that there appears to be very high occupancy in Vancouver on the weekend these days. The lower Canadian dollar is attracting Europeans and Americans and with cruise ship season in full swing in the summer, rates are over $500 CAD ($380 US). I suspect this property will move up from its current Category 4 to a higher category next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.