Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel National, Luxury Collection, Moscow [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Originally Posted by remymartin
As a Helsinki local I am not exempt from Visa for Allegro, only the cruise. But I cannot speak for American passport holders.
Ferry/cruise visa exemption is available to all nationalities. Train visa exemption has never existed (there were proposals, hence the rumors - but all the proposals have so far been refuted).
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by homelyboy
False. Visa exemption is only in effect for ferries and sea cruises. Apart from St. Petersburg, also true for Anadyr, Sochi, Novorossiysk, Vladivostok, Korsakov, Kaliningrad, and Vyborg.
Yes, I'm ahead of time a bit: http://www.russianrail.com/blog/2012...a_without_visa
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Perhaps Life_Platinum meant border formalities?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Perhaps Life_Platinum meant border formalities?
It has always been on all trains crossing USSR/Russian border (and in Europe in pre-Schengen times -- whatever lax) -- border guards & customs agents check your paperwork in-between stations what makes crossing. Convinient.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Medved
It has always been on all trains crossing USSR/Russian border (and in Europe in pre-Schengen times -- whatever lax) -- border guards & customs agents check your paperwork in-between stations what makes crossing. Convinient.
But back in the day the militia were far from friendly and acquainting. How are they now?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:24 pm

But back in the day the militia were far from friendly and acquainting. How are they now?
There were never "militia" in fact (which was finally officially renamed to pre-revolutionary "police" last year by Medvedev). Militia reported to MVD (Ministry of the Interior), Border Guards to KGB (FSB now): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Border_Guards
Yes, they are becoming nicier
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Any recent experience of here,I'm booked in on points to a studio Kremlin view.What are those rooms like?
TripAdvisor is mixed,some reviews mention Soviet style service?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:32 am

Just returned from 5 nights at the National and we loved it!!! We had not been to Moscow previously, so we began inquiring by email about the cost of a taxi from the Moscow train station and were told it would be about 2400 rubles for the hotel car. Upon arrival from St. Petersburg, we found the front of the train station under construction so we had to exit to the right side of the station and were immediately surrounded by taxi drivers first asking for 2500, then 1500, then finally 1000 rubles. We ignored them all and walked to the front of the station were a driver offered to take us to the National for 800.
(Upon return, we had the hotel call us Faeton taxi, which cost 500 when running the meter) It is common practice at Russian events to have taxis waiting for specific guests so I would recommend that if any of you need a cab upon arrival, contact the National Concierge and have them call Faeton taxi for you(the taxi is widely used by the hotel and all cars are new white Korean models, but be sure that you know what the cryllic letters are for the taxi name).
We were assigned room 324, a suite on the 5th floor in the newer part of the hotel with a view overlooking the main street in Moscow. As others have pointed out, the hotel was built in 1903, and then the newer addition was attached over 20 years ago behind the heritage building. This building was about 20 feet wide, or wide enough for just one room along the entire back of the heritage building, as well as a wing extending out the back of the hotel at the far end. The architechs had a problem, as the heritage building is 7 floors, but the ceilings are about 15 feet, and they designed the new building to have much lower floors, thereby building 8 floors. This led to some of the rooms such as ours being 7 steps up from the heritage hallway, wereas other rooms were 13 steps down from the hall of the heritage building. Other floors in the new building had fewer steps up or down to reach the rooms.
We had dinner in the hotel dining room after we took in a show, and enjoyed the view over Red Square from the 2nd floor dining room. The breakfast room next door also has a similar view. We thought that the hotel dinner was one of the best if not the best we had in Moscow, and that breakfast was very good as well. (We used our SPG ammenity for the breakfasts). Others have commented on the location, and needless to say, it is superb, as it is near all the major sites, Red Square, GUM dept store, the Kremlin, theaters and the Bolshoi ballet. Like others, we felt this was the major advantage of the hotel, as there is not a better location in Moscow for tourists.
We used the concierge service a few times every day and enjoyed having Marina and Irina provide us with convenient transportation and great suggestions for dinner. Transportation to distant events in Russia can be a problem, and in all cases we learned from a St. Petersburg experience last year that it is important to lock in transportation on return. In all cases, a white Faeton Hundai was waiting faitfully for us after the events we attended. In fact, one evening when returning in a Faeton cab, Marina the concierge called the taxi driver to be sure that he had picked us up and to make sure we were not stranded a couple of miles from the hotel.

The hotel is well maintained, although the bathtubs all appear to be quite old, and we did have some problems climbing over the high lips of the bathtubs for our daily shower. Some have commented about the gallery of famous people who stayed at the hotel-these photos with names are on the second floor near the business center. There also is a short film on the hotel chanel showing pictures of other famous people including Pres Obama and Lenin who have stayed at the hotel during its 110 year history.

Other complained about the smokers in the bar-yes the bar was filled with smoke at almost any time of day or night. Some have mentioned the hookers, but I did not see anyone who I thought might be a hooker during the 5 nights we were in the hotel. The hotel also had free wifi in our room.

We were pleased with our stay, and agreeded that the National for us was a far better choice than the Sheraton. Thanks to those of you who provided us advice on which of the SPG properties to stay at.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:27 pm

life_platinum or anyone else: was the platinum breakfast full buffet or what did they offer? room upgrades -did you get upgraded to a suite using an SNA or just upgraded on checkin?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by crazypalooza
life_platinum or anyone else: was the platinum breakfast full buffet or what did they offer? room upgrades -did you get upgraded to a suite using an SNA or just upgraded on checkin?
We'll be there later this week and will report on the upgrades. At the moment, there are a number of Kremlin and Presidential suites available. Should be interesting.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
We'll be there later this week and will report on the upgrades. At the moment, there are a number of Kremlin and Presidential suites available. Should be interesting.
Thanks. I look forward to your report! Did you apply SNA's to the reservation? I thought this property only included junior suites and studio rooms in their upgrade pool?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I look forward to your report! Did you apply SNA's to the reservation? I thought this property only included junior suites and studio rooms in their upgrade pool?
Back from Moscow and you are correct, no upgrades above Junior Suite. We were upgraded to a Kremlin View Junior Suite. On the other hand, one of the Platinum amenities was a complimentary breakfast buffet (about US$55 per person) which was incredible. The Jr. Suite was comfortable if a little smallish but it probably had the best view of Red Square in the hotel. In room Wifi pretty much sucked most of the time, except at 3AM when everyone else was sleeping. Although it worked fine in the Business Centre.
Pics from my trip report
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:35 pm

SFO777: firstly, lovely trip report and pics. did you use SNA's or just requested upgrade at checkin? You mention its not the best hotel, but where would you have rather stayed? (park hyatt?) thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SFO777: firstly, lovely trip report and pics. did you use SNA's or just requested upgrade at checkin? You mention its not the best hotel, but where would you have rather stayed? (park hyatt?) thanks.
Thanks crazypalooza. No SNA's just the regular Platinum upgrade at check-in, which they had already pre-assigned. You really can't beat the location but next time I might try a more modern hotel like the Ritz-Carlton next door which our TA recommended or the PH. Then again, prices for both those are higher.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Hotel National, Moscow (formerly Le Royal Meridien Moscow) [Master Thread]

Good 2 night stay, upg to spacious Junior Suite. It's a little old overall, but lots of aura and one of the best breakfasts spreads and views in SPG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.