Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Riverwalk San Antonio, Texas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Riverwalk San Antonio, Texas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2004, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Riverwalk San Antonio, Texas [Master Thread]

In welcome contrast to the Westin Galleria in Dallas, I found the above property outstanding across the board. Platinum upgrade to (what I think was) a suite, with a fantastic view of the Riverwalk area. Fast (and free) pressing of clothes, very effective concierge service. The hotel is modern and perfectly situated. Even at about $360/night I thought this was good value. IMO the Riverwalk area of San Antonio has a great feel to it -- not so sure about the rest of the city (the Alamo is fun to visit though). This hotel outperformed at a very busy time -- Final Four, the premiere of the "Alamo" movie, and an oil conference all in town at the same time -- full capacity. I give it a 9/10.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I was going to say that $360/night is insane until I saw what all was going on when you were there. This hotel is verry nice...very classy.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:24 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Yes, this is a very nice property. I have stayed there several times, both paid and using SPG points. My Platinum status was acknowledged by the person checking me in and I have been given a suite upgrade with a river view.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Just returned from my first stay at the Westin Riverwalk and have to say that it was a bit disappointing -- not bad, really, just not the quality that several FTers have suggested it would be. I was "upgraded" to a regular SPG room overlooking the huge (and constantly whirring) exhaust system on the roof of the building on the other side of the river. When I asked to change to another room, they said I would lose all my nice "amenities" (these turned out to be Moulton Brown products rather than Westin products in the regular room -- no great loss). I was moved down to a regular room which was identical (except for the "amenities") as the SPG floor room.
Room are fine -- not particularly luxurious in any respect. The location is great. Service is very average (for each of the two requests we made [room change being the first time and foam pillows the second] we had to call back 1/2 hour after our initial request to get anyone to respond (no luck on the pillows).
Overall, I would say this is a perfectly decent hotel, but nowhere near as terrific as I think is often suggested on this board. I'll try the Cantera next time...
Old Apr 27, 2004, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
The Cantera is a completely different experience of course in terms of hotel vs. resort and Riverwalk vs. hill country. I can tell you that the Westin is better than the Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Sheraton and Adam's Mark on the Riverwalk. They Hyatt is the worst of these in my opinion.

I'd write a polite letter to the GM and communicate your average stay. This hotel is usually quite good in my experience in all aspects of your post (except for the 'upgraded room' bit..?). Every hotel can have a bad day, but it sounds like you got a bad room. On my visit to the La Cantera, I had a jr. suite. I went to pick up mrs. dingo and upon our return we noticed a foul smell. Big deal, went out for drinks and dinner. Upon our return, still smelled...got worse since I had originally had the window open but closed it. Called the front desk at midnight and inquired...yep, sewer line backup on my floor. Why hadn't they called? Ooops, sorry. Got moved at midnight...that's always fun.

But the resort is great and I'm sure this is isolated. I'm rambling I know.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 2:55 am

Location: DFW - AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plt Royal Amb., Avis PS, FT Premium!!
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by quoxton
In welcome contrast to the Westin Galleria in Dallas, I found the above property outstanding across the board. Platinum upgrade to (what I think was) a suite, with a fantastic view of the Riverwalk area. Fast (and free) pressing of clothes, very effective concierge service. The hotel is modern and perfectly situated. Even at about $360/night I thought this was good value. IMO the Riverwalk area of San Antonio has a great feel to it -- not so sure about the rest of the city (the Alamo is fun to visit though). This hotel outperformed at a very busy time -- Final Four, the premiere of the "Alamo" movie, and an oil conference all in town at the same time -- full capacity. I give it a 9/10.
Were you given one of the corner suites? That's what we usually get, in July we have the Corner Suite with the BIG balcony. It's fun to count how many wedidings are performed almost right beneath you.

The only problem we have ever had is with the restuarant, I don't suppose that has improved? Holding my breath for a yes!
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:13 am

Stayed at this hotel on a reward stay Saturday night a week ago. I only have corporate card--received standard room overlooking parking lot, but it was just fine. Service was excellent and we enjoyed our stay. Only two complaints is that this hotel is a little further down the riverwalk--also, my son wanted to go swimming--the pool (obviously not heated) was freezing.

We had Sunday buffet breakfast in the bakery cafe--it was excellent and the price ($14 for adults, $7.50 for child) was pretty good for a hotel--and particularly since it was a buffet.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Checked in Saturday night for a one night stay. We were assigned a junior suite on the 6th floor due to SPG PLAT status. The room was large and spacious. We had a huge balcony, probably 3 times the size of the surrounding balconies. At this property lower floors are better since you will have a better view of the narrow river down below. I would not want to be above Floor 6. Bathroom had a soaking tub and separate glass enclosed shower. Lots of fluffy towels.

Service on the other hand was not up to par. We pulled up to the valet and they asked if we were checking in but practically had to shove our keys into the guys hand to take the car. No assistance was offered with the bag so we carried them in ourselves. Check in was quick. Once up in the room we realized no platinum amenity was offered.

The worst however was the following morning.
7:30am we were woken up by the sound of the fire alarm. Finally 5 minutes later it was shut off and an announcement was made that it was a false alarm. Climb back into bed.
9:00am There is a constant knocking on the door. Look through the peep hole and it is housekeeping. Not wanting to shock them in a state of undress we tell them to come back later. (The part that is aggravating is we had the DND on the door)
9:30am They are now steam cleaning the carpets outside our room in the hall. Apparently there is water dripping at the end of the hall (part of the reason for the fire alarm). Call down to the front desk and they said the loud vacuuming would continue through the rest of the morning.

Figuring we will not be granted the privilege of sleeping in this Sunday morning we reluctantly get out of bed and get dressed for the morning. Overall this was a lack luster stay as far as service. I think part of it had to do with the fact that the All-American Bowl was that Saturday. We were not aware of this when we decided to go to Austin for the weekend.

I would give the hotel another shot due to location and quality of the hotel but I would hope that the service would improve. We did complain to the hotel manager and she did agree to award us some SPG points for our trouble.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Any idea what parking costs at the Westin Riverwalk? Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:37 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Valet parking is $23. There is a lot/parking garage across the street that costs $10 for every 24 hours with in/out privileges.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:54 am

Am actually at the Westin Riverwalk right now. Very pleasant experience upgraded to Jr Suite as a Platinum.
Old May 2, 2005, 6:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Nice room but hotel can't handle capacity apparently

Ok, I'll preface this by, I'm on a $93 a night rate when everything else decent in this hotel or in town is going for at least double that. There's a huge convention in town and everything in town is sold out.

I got a decent upgrade to a room with a view. Average size room by Texas standards - great furnishings - marble bathroom, great bed.

Now, the gripes......ordered room service when arrived at 3:00 p.m. I had an awful hangover and no food on the airplane (surprise surprise). I ordered a quesadilla and a molten chocolate cake. Service Express said that it would be delivered in 35 minutes or less. At 45 minutes I called back, and the lady rather abrupty said that I'd have my food shortly. At 1 hour, the food finally showed up. It was ok - the quesadilla was barely warm and the cake was extremely cold ( I expected it to be a hot cake with a liquid center - but my expectation was off).

I ate my meal, crashed and woke up in the middle of the night. I decided to send the hotel an e-mail and let them know about the experience - not seeking anything - just wanting to make sure that they were aware. The next morning I received two phone calls from two individuals at the hotel - one was a guest service manager and the other was over room service.. The first apologized that service was so slow and that no one had apologized. She said that they would take the charge off my bill and wanted to treat me to another meal while I am here. I explained to her that I appreciated the offer but I just wanted to make sure that they were aware of the problem. I then further explained to her that I was her on business and that my employer paid for my food. End of conversation

The next guy wanted details of what had happened, what I had ordered, etc. etc. He was very nice and also said that I had a free meal coming. I explained to him that my employer paid for my food but thanks for the offer. He said that I just needed to call and order whatever I wanted.

While I appreciate the generosity and will wind up ordering breakfast when I normally would not have eaten, my employer has made out like a bandit this week, just because I was wanting to point out slow service and mediocre food to management.
Old May 2, 2005, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
How does the Sheraton Gunter compare? I am staying this Saturday because I figured I'd spend 3K points, than 7K. Mrs 1K_From_SNA wanted to stay at the Westin, but she didn't get her way for once. Do they usually upg Plats there does anyone know?
Old May 3, 2005, 7:37 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA
How does the Sheraton Gunter compare? I am staying this Saturday because I figured I'd spend 3K points, than 7K. Mrs 1K_From_SNA wanted to stay at the Westin, but she didn't get her way for once. Do they usually upg Plats there does anyone know?
I'm here at the Sheraton now. Very very basic. Haven't received an upgrade yet although i'm here for quite some time. The hotel is full now due to the International Reading Association Convention in town. They were actually walking people to the Comfort Inn. There is a club lounge that serves continental breakfast and evening apps/drinks. Hours are 6:30 AM - 9:00 / 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM (until 8 PM for apps/drinks). The Club lounge is closed from Friday evening until Sunday evening. There was zero platinum recognition so far. Had to ask for amenity and the agent looked confused. Also had to ask about the club lounge and the same agent couldn't give me many answers about what was offered.
Old May 3, 2005, 11:52 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Gunter

Its not too bad as long as you don't expect too much. Here is a thread that reviews it thoroughly

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...heraton+gunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.