Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by banzani
no upgrade, just as on my previous stay. They said there was nothing they could do. Mind you, it was ITB time, so is it that *W staff got the suites ?
I believe to recollect that the rules are "upgrade if available"...

Do you seriously expect upgrades to be available during ITB when they can SELL every mousehole in Berlin? I needed a room and ended up at the Hilton in a corner suite PAYING close to 700 Euro for it because this was the only mousehole available. This concept is called capitalism.....
Old Mar 17, 2009, 2:49 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
I take it there have been many positive experiences at this hotel...which is good news. However, here is my full story:

- As said, I've staged three events at this hotel over the last couple of years, one with 400 room nights, one with 150 room nights, and another small one with 40 room nights

- In addition, I have stayed there myself, so I would expect a decent CRM system to 'care'.

- On a stay some 1 1/2 years ago, I had requested a crib for our baby. On arrival, they told me 'we have upgraded you to a Junior suite'. When we got into the room, there was still smoke hanging in the air. This place was almost foggy. How is it that a) 200 *W stays later they still can't see that non-smoking is one of my basic preferences, and b) you can be so smart to put a crib for a small baby in the middle of that smoke ?

- So they found another room for us 'a nice, non-smoking, newly renovated'. Well, it was one of the tiny ones, where you could hardly fit a crib. There was no other choice than my wife and the baby leaving to head home early.

- When complaining at the front desk their reply was 'we can send you a fruit basket'

This turned me off so badly that I ignored this hotel for 1 1/2 years (chose Regent, Radisson SAS).

Now, based on new year, new status hunt, night after night, I thought let's give them another chance...and hey, who knows, maybe their CRM system would still know me and my bad experience from last time.

279 EUR room only....yes, ITB time, but still not a bargain. Of course they are full, but most guests would be *W staff, attending the ITB. What ticked me off was the comment 'you must understand there is no upgrade as we have global *W senior management in the house, and all the suites are occupied'.

Even if brand-specific staff are internally paying for their rooms...in other industries you would give the better product to your external, paying, repeat client, wouldn't you ? Admittedly, I might have been thin-skinned due to my earlier experiences...but still...even if that's the true reason, you wouldn't say that to a guest.

Then the fact that they offered me the upgrade only when I told them I would check out...not good.

Few additional comments: Yes, the Unter den Linden facing rooms are much bigger (I believe some 20 sqm or so more). They have just recently been added to the hotel capacity - they were not being used for years. And yes, there are positive things about this hotel...staff usually friendly (though not always empowered to help), nice new wellness area, nice lobby, etc.

No hard feelings, but as said, there are tons of great new and affordable hotels in Berlin...
Old Mar 17, 2009, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by banzani
Few additional comments: Yes, the Unter den Linden facing rooms are much bigger (I believe some 20 sqm or so more). They have just recently been added to the hotel capacity - they were not being used for years.
These rooms have always been used, but normally used for bus tourists. They had some very nice, but somehow weird suites in this part of the hotel, the best one on top with a on-suite sauna and a "Reichtstag view".
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:33 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Berlin is only city where it can be cheaper to stay at the Ritz Carlton than at the Westin Berlin... On many occassion the Ritz sells for 205 Euro, while Westin is around 249-269 Euro.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:00 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Wonderful Stay

I stayed here last week at an incredible rate of $132 (US) including breakfast booked through Cheapoair.

-The room was very comfortable, and modern. 32" Samsung TV, minibar, nice bathroom, etc
-Check-in was quick and efficient, however I was initially given a room key that did not work and had to come back to have it reissued so I could get in the door
-The breakfast was wonderful. Fresh pastries, breads, eggs, made to order omelets, various juices, smoothies, sausage, potatoes, and Champagne. Breakfast was crowded during the 8:30-9:30 hours so avoid those times if possible
-Internet was indeed 19 Euros. I would recommend going to Cafe Einstein, directly across Friedrichstrasse as they offer free wifi and is a great place to sit with an espresso and work on the computer.
-Fitness center contained newer life fitness machines with integrated TV monitors and had a set of free weights and even a new vibration work out bench. Pool and hot tub were also very nice and very clean

Overall, a great place to stay in Berlin. Be sure to verify your status/upgrade eligibility. Apparently as a Gold the only upgrade they'll give is to a room on the interior portion of the hotel as having your room on Friedrichstrasse can be noisy. The supervisor said Plats can get upgraded to suites, including the Spa Suites upon availability.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
Good stay

I had stayed at the Westin Grand Berlin in early July. I think the comments are pretty appropriate. Amazing location - walking distance to most places a tourist would want to go. Platinum experience for me was that I received an upgrade to a suite, but not one of the amazing ones. It was appreciated and the room was nice and seemed recently renovated. There were no other platinum services that I specifically requested or am aware that I was given (as mentioned, no lounge, no breakfast, no snacks upon returning to the room).

The "service" I received was generally lackluster - I am not demanding, but I am acknowledging what others may say. For example, when I arrived and the room was not ready, I asked the concierge for a map so I can walk around for a couple of hours. I received the map, but not even a direction (let alone a place or street) that he thought I should walk towards. I was offered a place to store my bags until my room was available, but I was not offered help taking the bags to my room - once again that was fine by me, but some people do not want to have to even ask for this.

Overall, I would stay again for the great location, a beautiful building, nice rooms and after looking at the price. I think if this were a 4 star hotel, I believe that everyone (and certainly I) would acknowledge it as a great choice. It lacks certain 5 star qualities that people may expect and be left disappointed - especially if it is priced accordingly.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
We stayed 3 nights early May this year.We got a suite upgrade.water each day and a bottle of wine on arrival.We were more than happy with our stay.Great tourist location.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:57 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, BA blue
I stay very often at WESTIN Berlin. The breakfast is very good about 29€.
It's not champagne at breakfast, it's sparkling wine.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP
Stayed 2 weeks ago. Excellent location, nice lobby, nice breakfast, average rooms!
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Great plat upgrade

Stayed here for 1 night last week on a points award and got preupgraded to a very luxurious corner balcony suite. Nice furnishings- Versace cups, china closet and Bulgari toiletries.

This hotel is in a great location- walking distance to Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Tiergarten, US Embassy, Topography of Terror, Checkpoint Charlie, etc. Very friendly staff- would stay again in a heartbeat.

Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Royal Ambassador, Aeroplan Elite, Miles&More Senator, SPG Platinum
First stay as Platinum is disappointing

I just recently became an SPG Platinum member and was looking forward to my first "Platinum" stay.

I checked into the Westin Grand Berlin this evening and was told that I had been upgraded to a Linden Superior room. Based upon previous posts in this forum, I asked whether any junior suites were available. I was told "no".

I went up to my room and logged onto the internet. I checked the room availability for tonight and was offered a Junior Suite, a 1-BR Suite, and a Spa Suite!

I called Guest Services and explained the situation. They forwarded me to the Front Desk, where the gentlemen who checked me in said, "We have a Junior Suite available, but without any windows. I thought that you would like the Linden Superior room better." Hmmm...OK, I thought, but wouldn't it be better to offer the choice and let me decide?

Since the windowless Junior Suite had a King bed and a larger bathroom, I went ahead and changed rooms. Yes, I know that the upgrades are based upon availability, but the entire experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't appreciate being lied to. Previous posts have mentioned that Plats are given the "best room available", but this obviously did not happen in my case.

I am looking forward to moving to the IC Berlin tomorrow.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dlcanada
I don't appreciate being lied to.
In that case at least in regards to *W,Marriott & Hilton, if they dont mention that you were Upgraded dont ask them if an Upgrade is available. As I find more and more today that We will be simply Lied to and told Sorry we are soldout in regards to the other rooms. Which of cause 99% of the time is a LIE

and the idiots will answer when I explain I just checked online and saw there are better room cats available for sale, Oh I didnt know you were willing to pay more $$ to get such a room, or we just had someone call in and cancel a bunch of rooms
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by dlcanada
I just recently became an SPG Platinum member and was looking forward to my first "Platinum" stay.

I checked into the Westin Grand Berlin this evening and was told that I had been upgraded to a Linden Superior room. Based upon previous posts in this forum, I asked whether any junior suites were available. I was told "no".

I went up to my room and logged onto the internet. I checked the room availability for tonight and was offered a Junior Suite, a 1-BR Suite, and a Spa Suite!

I called Guest Services and explained the situation. They forwarded me to the Front Desk, where the gentlemen who checked me in said, "We have a Junior Suite available, but without any windows. I thought that you would like the Linden Superior room better." Hmmm...OK, I thought, but wouldn't it be better to offer the choice and let me decide?

Since the windowless Junior Suite had a King bed and a larger bathroom, I went ahead and changed rooms. Yes, I know that the upgrades are based upon availability, but the entire experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't appreciate being lied to. Previous posts have mentioned that Plats are given the "best room available", but this obviously did not happen in my case.

I am looking forward to moving to the IC Berlin tomorrow.
If you just hit platinum, my guess is that they had you in the system as gold. This happened to me all the time after I hit plat. Granted, he still shouldn't have lied about the availability of Junior Suites, but I think you will have a better chance getting pre-upgraded if you cancel all current reservations and rebook as a plat (if the same or better rates are available).
Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:33 pm
Suspended

I think you all are being a bit hard on the agent. I surely would have blown my stack if the junior suite did have windows, but since the OP moved and has not contradicted it, I think that the agent may have been truly thinking that such room was inferior. So, I would not call this an out and out lie, but the agent should have been more forthcoming, that is certainly clear.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do they really have a guest room with no windows--none at all?

I wouldn't be surprised if such a room really is not given out to paying guests on a regular basis. It may be used for staff who have to overnight or for an emergency replacement for a room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.