Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Forgot I already posted. Getting old I guess.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by mario33
You will need to pay to upgrade to the full buffet, and your ability to do so also depends on the waitress working on that day. First time I asked and I was told to refer to the front desk, another day this option was offered to me at the restaurant.
Yes, I forgot to mention that my rate included breakfast, so I was referring to the full selection.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
You will need to pay to upgrade to the full buffet, and your ability to do so also depends on the waitress working on that day. First time I asked and I was told to refer to the front desk, another day this option was offered to me at the restaurant.
If you chose breakfast as your amenity and eat the full breakfast you will get an invoice to sign. As easy a this. This breakfast is, what some people appear not to appreciate, one of the highest quality buffet breakfasts in Berlin. And I am not talking about some eggs cooked to order but about the cheeses, fish, cold cuts, breads etc....
Old Nov 3, 2012, 4:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
If you chose breakfast as your amenity and eat the full breakfast you will get an invoice to sign. As easy a this. This breakfast is, what some people appear not to appreciate, one of the highest quality buffet breakfasts in Berlin. And I am not talking about some eggs cooked to order but about the cheeses, fish, cold cuts, breads etc....
Yes, but on one of the mornings I was there the 'hostess' was clueless about the breakfast upgrade for a fee. Not an issue on other days when it was proactively offered to me.

And while I thought the full breakfast was good, I won't get too excited if one is used to the extensive buffet breakfast in Asia ....
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Simple eat and pay afterwards...

And if it comes to quality: Asian hotels offer a broader range (Chinese, US, Japanese, Thai, etc). However, if you know about good hams, good Salamis, good roast beef, good cheeses, then you will appreciates the Berlin Westin.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
However, if you know about good hams, good Salamis, good roast beef,
That's a lot of MEAT for breakfast, I guess I would stick to my roti chanai / prata in Asia or the crepe at the Westin Berlin ...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat AA, Starwood Plat 100, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down Not so heavenly beds!

I stayed at this property for 5 night in early February.

Had a 6th floor room, facing courtyard, very quiet. Windows that open too---combats the inaccurate heating system.

Beware that there is major construction going on outside two sides of the hotel -- expansion of the Berlin subway, and building a new station right at Unter der Linden. Not disclosed on their website.

I found fault with the very uncomfortable, and springy, bouncy mattress. The bed linens were standard Heavenly bed type, but the beds were not.

I reviewed this on the Westin website and they responded by saying that the mattress was a Heavenly bed. I disagree completely.

I stay at Westin hotels more than 3 weeks a year, and know what to expect. The beds here are not "heavenly".
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Jim90068
I found fault with the very uncomfortable, and springy, bouncy mattress. The bed linens were standard Heavenly bed type, but the beds were not.
Did you ask for a new room? The rooms I have stayed in have had Heavenly beds.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:20 pm

Is there still construction next to the Westin? Thanks.

Edit: Sorry - yes there is.

Last edited by rrgg; Mar 19, 2013 at 5:36 am
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Is there still construction next to the Westin? Thanks.
Did you read Jim90068's comment above? Yes.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Indeed, still very noisy even at 8a on at least two sides of the Westin. Good news is that during the annual ITB Conference in March, Frits van Paasschen stays here. If the front desk cannot handle your complaint, just ask for his room.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by flyatlanta
Indeed, still very noisy even at 8a on at least two sides of the Westin. Good news is that during the annual ITB Conference in March, Frits van Paasschen stays here. If the front desk cannot handle your complaint, just ask for his room.
which room# is that? A spa suite perhaps?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:58 am
Suspended

When I was there last year, the construction was already in full swing. However my courtyard/garden facing jr suite was very quiet, and no complaint about the Heavenly Bed, only complaint is on the complimentary breakfast !
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
I stayed at this property for 3 nights in early March. Had the floor in 6th floor facing the garden & courtyard. It was very peaceful and quiet (went during the weekend).

As mentioned previously by other quite a bit of construction going on but during the weekend it was very quiet. Had a 6th floor room, facing courtyard, very quiet. Windows that open too---combats the inaccurate heating system. My only issue was that internet was wonky at best.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwood Gold
Thumbs down Berlin is a construction zone.

Just finishing up a 3 night stay here at the Westin Grand Berlin.

As starwood Gold, they gave me an 'upgraded' room on the 2nd floor overlooking the construction mess. This is definately the MOST modest upgrade I've ever received. I am afraid to see what a non-upgrade looks like.

First morning :Construction starts promptly and loudly at 8am. Then the TV came on by itself at 9am. Then there is knock on the door by housekeeping shortly after...I guess this hotel is NOT all about getting any rest.
Then on the 2nd morning, there is repeated knocking on my door at 5:30AM..Its room service that I did NOT order... I guess I wont sleep in this morning either.

The 2 twin beds are NOT heavenly bed and are rather bouncy. The rest of the room is very nicely but modestly renovated. I would have liked to be able to make a nice cup of coffee and not use the hot water kettle to make instant coffee. The Hyatt Regency in Mainz I just came from had pod-type coffee machines in the rooms.. it was fabulous.

The hallways look rather dingy and very creepy when I got here late on my first night.

Westin Berlin is not that Grand in my opinion.

Most of Berlin seems to be in a complete contstruction mess & chaos. i would advise people to wait a year or so before visiting (if they have choice). On that note, Berlin just became the #3 destination for tourism in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.