Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
Room upgrade- 1500 points
This should be a double upgrade...
Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
Room upgrade- 1500 points
Suite upgrade- 10000 points
1 hour free internet in your room- 1500 points
1 dish of the day at the restaurant Relish- 3000 points
3 course meal at Relish- 4500 points (per person)
Cocktails for two at the bar- 1500 points
Breakfast buffet- 3000 points (per person)
Reduction of your bill- 1500 points per $20 US dollars
Here currently. Yes, they do like to offer Instant Rewards. They seem to be a complete rip off unless you are flush with points.

I was given a junior suite. The room is quite nice...impressed with the hotel.

Only concerns: 1) Once I got to the room, I checked on spg.com. There seemed to be many types of suites still left for sale for my entire stay. I also checked in late afternoon, so they should have all been cleaned. So, I don't believe I was upgraded to the "best available room at check-in." When I checked in, I asked about full suites and was told "no dice." 2) There was no bottled water in the room (Platinum here). Not sure if that is a Westin Brand Standard in Europe. 3) They are a bit skimpy with the towels. Had I been traveling with someone else, I would have had to request additional towels.

But, otherwise, very nice property.

And, thanks for the transit advice. Unfortunately, I got it too late and took a taxi. But, I assume it is the same way back to the airport (the TXL bus?)?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Here currently. Yes, they do like to offer Instant Rewards. They seem to be a complete rip off unless you are flush with points.

I was given a junior suite. The room is quite nice...impressed with the hotel.

Only concerns: 1) Once I got to the room, I checked on spg.com. There seemed to be many types of suites still left for sale for my entire stay. I also checked in late afternoon, so they should have all been cleaned. So, I don't believe I was upgraded to the "best available room at check-in." When I checked in, I asked about full suites and was told "no dice." 2) There was no bottled water in the room (Platinum here). Not sure if that is a Westin Brand Standard in Europe. 3) They are a bit skimpy with the towels. Had I been traveling with someone else, I would have had to request additional towels.

But, otherwise, very nice property.

And, thanks for the transit advice. Unfortunately, I got it too late and took a taxi. But, I assume it is the same way back to the airport (the TXL bus?)?
Yes, TXL bus back.

BTW: Best available room does not including suites like Schinkel, Bach, SPA or Präsidentensuite ( with bullet proof windows ) at the Westin Grand Berlin...

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; Jul 4, 2010 at 9:30 am
Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Best available room does not including suites like Schinkel, Bach, SPA or Presidentensuite ( with bullet proof windows ) at the Westin Grand Berlin...
That is helpful. Do you know the names of the suites that apply for Platinum upgrades?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:42 am

That is helpful. Do you know the names of the suites that apply for Platinum upgrades?
They are nameless. Some have garden view, some Unter den Linden view. There is also at least one at the 7th floor. Oops that is now a top executive suite

All the suites in front of the central elevators ( Corner Friedrich- / Behrensstraße ) are Themensuiten. Also the SPA Suiten in front of the pool elevator.

http://www.westingrandberlin.com/de/unsere-suiten

http://www.westingrandberlin.com/en/our-suites

I always get free water there. May be you check in late and someone forgot the water...

You get there as much towels etc. as you like. If there is not enough in the room call Express Service!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
You get there as much towels etc. as you like. If there is not enough in the room call Express Service!
Well, of course, I know that much.

It just looked odd to have this nice room and the bathroom has exactly two bath towels. Again, a very small nick. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. It's not a big deal.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 2:35 pm

It just looked odd to have this nice room and the bathroom has exactly two bath towels. Again, a very small nick. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. It's not a big deal.
Never got there only two.

Some further informations:

http://www.theberlingrandhotel.com/guestrooms/
Old Jul 4, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

Yes, I think we only got two bath towels, as well. However, when we called down to Service Express for an additional washcloth, we received the full shebang- two more towels, handtowels, washcloths, and an additional robe. The girl who brought them seemed kind of confused when I tried to explain that we only needed washcloths (her English was about as good as my German)...so I just took the whole stack.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Stayed here for 2 nights on marathon weekend - got a great rate on the Berlin Wall package (169 euros/night b+b, although it turned out to have been a mistake the rate was honored). I had enquired beforehand about the possibility of paying an upgrade fee to a spa suite and been told by phone 30 euros per day and just to ask at checkin. Expecting it to be busy for the marathon, I emailed about a week before, saying I would like to pay the upgrade fee if it was possible to request it, as long as they didn't sell the room in the meantime. The email reply said it would be 300 euros per night, which I refused. On arrival at the hotel, I was told that this had been because the agent had not realised I am platinum, but by this time there were no spa suites left. This was disappointing as we were looking forward to resting muscles in the jacuzzi, but I guess lots of other people had the same idea.

Although on spg.com, our room type had been pre-upgraded to Junior Suite about a week before checkin, when we got to checkin we were told there were no junior suites available, only a Linden room. This was our last hotel after 2 good suites so we asked if there were any suites available. The checkin agent was very helpful but could only find one suite with a jacuzzi (Presidential Suite thus slightly out of price range at an extra 700 odd euros per night), but did find a theme suite which we took for an extra 70 euros per night. This suite was nice with a large tub and shower, although perhaps not as modern as we would have expected.

Breakfast was really good and the hotel is in a great location. I would definitely return, but prefer the Hyatt in Berlin.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
On March 16, Groupon.de offers 49 Euro vouchers for an hour massage at the Westin Berlin Spa.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
On March 16, Groupon.de offers 49 Euro vouchers for an hour massage at the Westin Berlin Spa.
Thanks, gonna be there Fri, will have a massage. ^
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Im confused. People keep talking about how this hotel is worse off since the renovation. What specifically is worse than before, I would think a renovation would improve things. Is the Stammhaus restaurant still open?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
The style of this hotel and the style of the rooms and restaurants changed quite a lot. A renoviation is not always to the better. However, it is still a great and now very modern hotel. However, quite a few people liked it better the way it was before. Stammhaus no longer exists. They now have a restautant called Relish and the comparism of the two names indicates what has changed.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Thanks! Is there still a charge for the sauna?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Royal Ambassador, Aeroplan Elite, Miles&More Senator, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Thanks! Is there still a charge for the sauna?
Platinum members receive complimentary use of the sauna. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.