Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Berlin, Germany 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:27 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Strange! Are there new concierges? The old concierges were not useless!
I recognised two of the concierges from my visit last year. I mainly require concierge assistance when I want to dine etc. And these guys keep recommending the same tired restaurants, and are clueless about the new, interesting ones.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sphinx
This is s pretty good hotel. And, for Germany, the service orientation is quite decent.
Feel like I've seen quite mixed reviews on the renovation, the service, etc. But at least it's a good location and I'm on an affordable corporate rate.

So the TXL bus I've read about - seems to go straight from Tegel to within a block of the hotel? Takes ~30 minutes or so?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So the TXL bus I've read about - seems to go straight from Tegel to within a block of the hotel? Takes ~30 minutes or so?
Yes.
Old May 15, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Good stay so far

Upgraded to a Jr Suite, which while really is just a bigger room, still is spacious enough for a solo traveler

Skipped the Continental in favor of the points; took a pass on the hotel breakfast to walk down the street to SBUX

Pool area is pretty nice, though the gym itself, while having good equipment, is pretty small

Kind of like the Westin Paris though - can't beat the location!
Old May 18, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Does anyone have an idea how this hotel compares to the Berlin Marriott? I've seen some comparison with both the Hlton and the Hyatt, but nothing comparing this to the Berlin Marriott. I am on a platinum challenge with *wood (currently a nobody) and have four nights booked at this hotel as well as the Berlin Marriott which is the place I usually stay when in Berlin as MR Plat, so I now need to decide which place to stay at.

I BRGed the Westin down to 128 Euro per night of my stay with breakfast (from 260 Euro), yet this is still above my 112 Euro rate at the Berlin Marriott, which in turn would also include Lounge-access with some decent offerings nightly in addition to daily breakfast. Yet to safely complete the challenge (i.e. a month early) I would rather have this four nights credited to *wood (have requalified for MR Plat already and not really need the points there) - but am I doing myself a favour with that? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Greetings - Dirk
Old May 18, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
I think you are not taking a risk here when staying at the Westin. Both Westin and Marriott are OK, but not great, hotels in berlin IMO. They are both in great locations.

The basic Westin rooms are quite small, but decently equipped (walk in shower, whereas I seem to remember the Marriott had shower curtains). There is a nice Fitness/Spa. I would call them up, say you are on a Plat challenge, and give them your business over Marriott - they may give you a lager room (Unter den Linden facing).

The breakfast in Westin is very nice, they have no lounge anyway, so no missing of a benefit...but Galerie Lafayette is across the street, easy to stock up on nice treats for a few Euros.

*W Plat is such a great status it's definitely worth it...

btw, my favorite hotels in Berlin are the Regent and the Grand Hyatt.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:58 am

Marriott vs Westin location

I have not stayed at the Marriott, but in my opinion the Westin Grand location beats the Marriott hands down. At 128€ I think you have a good deal.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:01 am

mixed feelings again

Stayed here again this week.

Upgraded to a Unter den Linden superior room - didn't ask for a suite, definitely should have. The room is bright and nice, but looks exactly the same as the Deluxe room with more square metres. The configuration could be better though, as there's unnecessary dead space.

Chose continental breakfast instead of points, got a voucher. Went to have breakfast and they lady wanted to sell me buffet breakfast for 14 euros. Decided to stick with the continental. Waited about 5 minutes until someone came to serve, sat there very uncomfortably. Going for the points next time.

Noticed I didn't get an internet voucher. Went to ask for one. FDA said I wasn't entitled to one, eventhough I'm plat. I had chosen breakfast. I disagreed and she gave me a one hour voucher. Went back with the Plat description, hope this is a one time mistake that's now fixed?

What was worse though, there seems to be some really bad sewer problem on the Unter den Linden side. I ran into this last year (was moved) and this week again. The corridor smelt appaulling, but I was way too tired to change rooms.

Will I stay again? Probably. I like the spa and the location.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I never get a voucher. You simply log on and the charge is removed. I have done this a few dozen times there. 14 Euro for their breakfast is quite a deal, however, their continental breakfast is more than stingy.....
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:48 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by djohannw
Does anyone have an idea how this hotel compares to the Berlin Marriott?
Since I asked that question, I'd like to follow this up with a comparison. I decided to split the stay into one night at the Westin Grand and then two nights at the Berlin Marriott because the location at Potsdamer Platz suited my objectives better, yet I wanted to try the Westin Grand, get a night for my Platinum challenge and most imporantly get the 2K points for a successful BRG. I paid 120 Euro for the Westin and 116 Euro for the Marriott, also using a Best rate guarantee. To put this in more perspective, my SPG Platinum Challenge is still ongoing (the night was #14 of 18), while I am already Platinum with Marriott.

As mentioned before the room I received was not enormously big yet still sufficient for my needs. Compared to a standard-room at the Berlin Marriott I would guess it was even a little larger than that. Got exactly the type of room I booked facing a small side-street and was very quiet. I like a walk-in shower so did not miss a full bath-tub, and the bed allowed for a good night of sleep. All in all a tie between the two hotel on this regard.

As others mentioned the Westin Grand has no lounge while the Marriott has one, and it's one of the better ones. After a short period of noticable cuts they are back to a very decent level of service - I had lamb-chops, steak and chicken-breast as a "snack" there, always accompanied by vegetarian pasta, another side and soup. Also full bar from 6pm to 8pm, plus fridge for softs, beer and wine until close - this clearly speaks for the Marriott.

Breakfast in the restaurant is difficult to describe. What I enjoyed was the system how you order your eggs: write the order and then it gets delivered to your table. In general a very good variety of cold and hot breakfast items which were of good quality. However I missed any type of breakfast-potatoes, not sure if I had to ask for them. Breakfast in the restaurant at the Berlin Marriott is pretty similar, however you directly place your order with the cook and have to wait for it to complete (usually no table-delivery). They have a very similar variety of cold- and hot items, however the hot items are slightly less in number. They do have potatoes for breakfast, however a variety I do not like (buttered rosemay fingerlings). Again a tie taking all arguments into account.

All in all I will stick with the Marriott in Berlin for the future, however. Having access to their Executive lounge is the deciding factor - I do not need a suite when I travel there on business, and the lack of a lounge at the Westin Grand makes them runner-up in this comparison.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by djohannw
All in all I will stick with the Marriott in Berlin for the future, however. Having access to their Executive lounge is the deciding factor - I do not need a suite when I travel there on business, and the lack of a lounge at the Westin Grand makes them runner-up in this comparison.

Greetings - Dirk
+1 I usually stay at the Marriott but decided to experiment and try the Westin for the 1st night of my stay this week. I checked out of the Westin after 5 minutes. Was not inpressed with the room size, lack of a decent working AC, and no lounge. Glad I did too as they had salmon for dinner tonight in the Executive lounge here at the Marriott.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:34 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Avoid this property like the plague.
Check in staff are divas with the holier than thou attitude, who will lie about suite availability even though you can demonstrate that suites are still available on line . Early check in request ( made by my Ambassador) was not granted, supposedly because of a full house the night before, but as I waited for my room to be ready in the lobby, at least 3 other guests were given keys to their rooms 5 minutes after my request.
Bellboys cannot be bothered with helping you when you enter the lobby with 3 suitcases , the concierge is a joke, and quite frankly this was the worst SPG experience in my 10 years as a Plat ,and given the monies that this property charges ( in my case over 450 Euros) , they can kiss my business goodbye.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pansted00
Check in staff are divas with the holier than thou attitude, who will lie about suite availability even though you can demonstrate that suites are still available on line .
I had a very different check-in experience last month, pre-upgraded to a Jr suite even though the hotel was full. Nice room, only complaint was that the air-con hardly work but I much prefer fresh air by opening the windows.

The continental breakfast however is a big joke and best avoided. Coffee, OJ , 2 small crossoints & 2 bread rolls
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: Free Agent
The Westin has a great location in Berlin for a tourist. It’s near a subway station, and within walking distance of many attractions such as the Museum Island and right next to many stores such as Galeries Lafayette. When I arrived in the morning via a 20 Euro cab ride from TXL, I was told that my room wasn’t available yet, but I would be called as soon as it was ready. I never received a phone call. When I returned to the hotel 6 hours later, I was upgraded to a junior suite as a Platinum member.

My junior suite was large (as large as some other one bedroom suites I’ve been in) and clean, with standard Westin amenities. My room had two singles that you can push together to make a King, but you there are two duvets on each single. So essentially you’re still stuck with two beds. The bathtub shower half one of those half-enclosed glass enclosures, which means water gets all over the place while you’re showering. A bottle of free water was supplied in my room.

The breakfast buffet was substantial, and had pretty much anything you needed. Will definitely be returning to this property soon!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Condition One

The breakfast buffet was substantial, and had pretty much anything you needed. !
You will need to pay to upgrade to the full buffet, and your ability to do so also depends on the waitress working on that day. First time I asked and I was told to refer to the front desk, another day this option was offered to me at the restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.