Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Abu Dhabi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by hillrider
I am going to Abu Dhabi and started doing some research, and one of the referece sources that my company use classifies them as follows )on a 10 points scale):
  • Le Méridien Abu Dhabi - 9
  • Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort -9
  • Le Royal Méridien Abu Dhabi - 8
  • Sheraton Khalidiya Hotel, Abu Dhabi - 6
  • Aloft Abu Dhabi - Not (yet?) classified

Do you agree with this?
They're being too generous overall. You may notice the Abu Dhabi hotels have been downgraded hugely in categories this year, all except the Aloft (2 years old) are a bit older and are falling behind the new hotel stock in the city. The good news for customers is that rates have come down tremendously in the last 2 years and all (except the Sheraton Khalidya) are pleasant enough places to stay, just don't expect real top end. My comments on each are higher up in the thread.

In pure quality terms, would put as follows. You can make a value for money choice based on the rate you're offered.

Meridien - 7
Sheraton Corniche - 8
Le RM - 7.5
Sheraton Khalidya - 5
Aloft - 6
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DXBPLat, thx for the real-life feedback. The Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort (Corniche) is cheaper than the Le Méridien Abu Dhabi for my dates, so it's an easy decision.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

The two hotels that can be used for redemption of Free Resort Nights are

Le Meridien Abu Dhabi

Sheraton Abu Dhabi

Which is the more pleasant property?

Do both have lounges?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy AMB/LTE , Diamond HH, SEN LH
Take the Sheraton, is more modern with great breakfast buffet.It´s free for Plat. The lounge is every day open, from 6-8 with free alcohol.^
I will use my FN in Oct. in the Sheraton
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:51 pm

I see the St Regis on Saadiyat Island is now accepting reservations from 1 November. Surprised as when I passed it a few months ago it looked some way from completion but I guess they've been busy.

Rates starting at US$425 + tax but incredibly only a Category 5 for reward nights, same as the much older Sheraton and RM properties. With tax counted it works out around 4.25 cents per Starpoint to redeem.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Sheraton Khalidiya for four days last month.

I really enjoyed my stay there, even though the hotel is a bit tatty, the service was great and the platinum recognition was excellent. Was upgraded to an executive corner suite on a very cheap rate (about 200 dirhams per night), club lounge access and breakfast in their restaurant.

The Irish bar was great as well. Food was good and inexpensive.

The location was good too.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DXBPlat
I see the St Regis on Saadiyat Island is now accepting reservations from 1 November. Surprised as when I passed it a few months ago it looked some way from completion but I guess they've been busy.

Rates starting at US$425 + tax but incredibly only a Category 5 for reward nights, same as the much older Sheraton and RM properties. With tax counted it works out around 4.25 cents per Starpoint to redeem.
This is great news. I will be targetting this property for sure.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Delta Platinum Medallion
I travel to Abu Dhabi on business and have stayed at both the Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort as well as the Aloft Abu Dhabi.

The Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort is wonderful. The lobby is beautiful, the agents are friendly and the rooms are very comfortable. While I've never received a suite upgrade (I'm often there for a week or longer) I do receive the club room floor upgrade. For my purposes, this is absolutely fine. The room is well appointed, the view of the Persian Gulf off the balcony is amazing and the bathroom is really the gem of the space. All marble with a live plant on the vanity. I've always received a fresh fruit basket and a bottle of wine upon arrival as well. The daily free water is nice as well. The lounge, while small, is great. They had a full bar, wonderful snacks and friendly service. I really enjoy this property and prefer to stay here when in Abu Dhabi.

The Aloft Abu Dhabi is a beautiful new property as well. Upon check-in, the General Manager came over to introduce himself and give me his card. I was upgraded to a suite and it was spacious with a nice view of a waterway. The real selling features, as with any Aloft property, are the common spaces. This property has two fantastic rooftop spaces. One area is the pool and a few stories further up is a panoramic rooftop bar. I spent much time at this space as you can see all parts of Abu Dhabi including the Grand Mosque. A real treat. The only con about this property is the location. It's quite far from city center but if you have business at the convention center this is your spot. It's also only about a 20 minute cab ride to Yas Island.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I see that the Aloft is located right next to the Exhibition Centre, so it would be an excellent option for those attending a conference there.

How far are the other 4 hotels from the Exhibition Centre? If you are staying at the Sheraton AD or the Le Royal Meridien, is it a relatively short taxi ride to the Exhibition Centre and are taxi fares pretty reasonable in Abu Dhabi?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Le Meridien Abu Dhabi

Sheraton Abu Dhabi

Which is the more pleasant property?

Do both have lounges?
I'd take the meridien - They have an "open" lounge with evening drinks for two hours (very nice - good choice of beers)

Had a gd stay there a few months ago
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Le Meridien Abu Dhabi

Sheraton Abu Dhabi
I've just called to book free night in late November on this rate and was offered the St Regis Saadiyat as an option. Sounded too good to be true but the confirmation showing the GETAWAY FREE rate has just rocked up in my email so all seems in order. Happy days!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
What would you recommend for a layover? We get in around 7PM on one evening and we leave the next morning at 9:15AM for the Maldives . We really don't need anything to fancy... a lounge would be nice for breakfast in the morning. A nice bed would be great... perhaps a nice view - we won't have time to use any of the "resort features" so just a place that can provide a great one night stay - our top priorities include convenience to the airport (if there's a good public transportation option, that might be interesting) and a place where we can go grab some tasty Arab food for our one night there!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
What would you recommend for a layover? We get in around 7PM on one evening and we leave the next morning at 9:15AM for the Maldives . We really don't need anything to fancy... a lounge would be nice for breakfast in the morning. A nice bed would be great... perhaps a nice view - we won't have time to use any of the "resort features" so just a place that can provide a great one night stay - our top priorities include convenience to the airport (if there's a good public transportation option, that might be interesting) and a place where we can go grab some tasty Arab food for our one night there!
The 2 nearest to the airport are the new Westin (5 mins) and the Aloft (10-15 mins). All others are 25-30mins up island and not worth it for a one-night stay as none have great views.

Not stayed at the Westin yet but I know they generally don't have lounges. Aloft is pretty decent. No view, but does include a good breakfast for Platinums. For evening activities, the Aloft is 5 mins away from Souq al Qaryat which has some nice bars/ restaurants - including Arabic ones - and great views over Sheikh Zayed Mosque. Other than that, you could do worse than hang around the pool bar at the Aloft itself.

No public transportation, taxis are cheap though (say US$10-$15 to the Aloft from the airport).
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Thanks for the response. It seemed like the Aloft was the best choice for us, and you have definitely confirmed! Get in, get some good food, rest, and get out!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Just stayed at the Westin and they just opened this past week. Very good property. Breakfast is included in some rates, if that is needed. No lounge. Close to the airport. If it is within $50 of the Aloft I would stay at the Westin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.