Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Which Bangkok property is closest to airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Bangkok property is closest to airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Which Bangkok property is closest to airport?

I did a search but came up empty. I'll be arriving late into Bangkok, then out early the next morning. Ordinarily I might stay at the Novotel airport hotel, but I'm interested in picking up a stay for the free weekend nights promotion. Are any of the Starwood properties particularly closer to Suvarnabhumi than others?

Thanks for any help.
Old May 7, 2009, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I did a search but came up empty. I'll be arriving late into Bangkok, then out early the next morning. Ordinarily I might stay at the Novotel airport hotel, but I'm interested in picking up a stay for the free weekend nights promotion. Are any of the Starwood properties particularly closer to Suvarnabhumi than others?

Thanks for any help.
Check this thread. There is some information about airport locations, starting around post 207.
Bangkok: which hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Hope this helps.
Old May 7, 2009, 2:01 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

Thanks for any help.
The Westin and Sheraton Grande are 'closest' I think and are across the street from one another. How late and how early are you arriving?
Old May 7, 2009, 2:05 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Just in terms of distance alone, the Plaza Athénée is 35km away from Suvarnabhumi Airport, and thus the closest. The SGS and WGS are approx. 43kms away. I am not sure of the exact distance, but I do know, the road distance of the LM Bangkok is over 40km from the airport. The Royal Orchid is about 42km or so away from the airport.

Hope that helps!
Old May 7, 2009, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Shantanu
Just in terms of distance alone, the Plaza Athénée is 35km away from Suvarnabhumi Airport, and thus the closest. The SGS and WGS are approx. 43kms away. I am not sure of the exact distance, but I do know, the road distance of the LM Bangkok is over 40km from the airport. The Royal Orchid is about 42km or so away from the airport.

Hope that helps!
How is the PA closer than the WGS or SGS? Both properties are East of the PA, which is the direction the airport is as well.

Sheraton is probably the easiest of the bunch. Straight shot down Sukhumvit, then onto the toll way. No u-turns or back alley routes required.
Old May 7, 2009, 3:38 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
How is the PA closer than the WGS or SGS? Both properties are East of the PA, which is the direction the airport is as well.

Sheraton is probably the easiest of the bunch. Straight shot down Sukhumvit, then onto the toll way. No u-turns or back alley routes required.
I'm only going on the distances provided to me by the hotels when I emailed them......I only stay at SGS (and on few occasions, WGS), so have no more knowledge than that.

In December 2007, I was arriving at Suvarnabhumi late at night from India; and was leaving in the early hours for Phuket, so mailed PA & SGS to find out distances (didn't bother with WGS as they are opposite SGS); those are the distances they provided for Suvarnabhumi by return mail. In the end, stayed at SGS as usual, as the few km difference didn't make sense for trying a hotel we may not like!

So....if you don't like the distances I posted.....take it up with them...only going on what each hotel told me in December 2007!
Old May 7, 2009, 5:36 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Closest by road

Really, the distance isn't the issue, it's the trip time by car.

To the hotel:
Depending on the time of day and the motorway exit the driver uses either Westin Grande or Sheraton Grande are closer, but they are literally across Sukhumvit Road from each other.

To the airport:
The Sheraton Grance is closest as when the car exits the hotel, you are facing the right way to get to the motorway. Westin would mean a U-turn at Asoke which can take up to 4 minutes as the traffic lights are red for up to 210 seconds according to the counter.

Sorry to be so pedantic.

In any case, as they are opposite, I like the Sheraton Grande a lot better.
Old May 7, 2009, 9:24 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
i agree
Old May 7, 2009, 11:46 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

Hope that helps!
Oops, I forgot about Plaza Athénée. It is also right at the entrance/exit to the highway so probably the best bet.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:02 am

Programs: United MP 1K, Cathay Pacific Silver, Shangri-La Hotels Gold, Accor Hotels Silver
Mercure Fortune Hotel on Ratchadaphisek at Rama IX Expressway

The Mercure Fortune Hotel is right off the Rama IX Expressway coming from the airport at Ratchadaphisek Road, and is actually closer than either the Sheraton or Westin on Sukhumvit as a taxi is likely to take you (in fact you can head south from the same exit down to Sukhumvit to get to those hotels, they're the next major intersection south on Ratchadaphisek, which is actually Asoke Road down there).

On the other hand, the Mercure isn't as nice as the Sheraton or Westin, all of which I've stayed in (the Sheraton is by far the nicest).

For more info on the Mercure Fortune Hotel go to:
http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-5931...ok/index.shtml

There's not much out by the airport that I know of as far as hotels go. Once you're on Sukhumvit, there are actually a lot of other choices at lower cost, mainly because it's close to the Nana Plaza Adult Entertainment area which itself is rather seedy.
Old May 8, 2009, 3:49 am

Programs: SQ PPS UA 1K MM
I know you can get a cheap decent hotel for 1000 on agodo by the airport.. But in your case, I would go for the cheapest option as you are just looking for stay credit and a bed... Distance doesn't really matter it's only a matter of a few baht! Try and score the 4200 eat/stay free rate at plaza athenee, and have some nice Filets when you arrive!
Old May 8, 2009, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by RichardKopf
Westin would mean a U-turn at Asoke which can take up to 4 minutes as the traffic lights are red for up to 210 seconds according to the counter.
I am either very very impressed that you knew that.....or, very very concerned!
Old May 8, 2009, 9:53 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I'll be arriving late into Bangkok, then out early the next morning ... but I'm interested in picking up a stay for the free weekend nights promotion. Are any of the Starwood properties particularly closer to Suvarnabhumi than others?
With your particular situation (arriving late & departing early) all SPG properties are , more or less, within the same distance. I'd chose a hotel with the best rates.

Originally Posted by Sojourner
The Mercure Fortune Hotel is right off the Rama IX Expressway coming from the airport at Ratchadaphisek Road, and is actually closer than either the Sheraton or Westin on Sukhumvit as a taxi is likely to take you (in fact you can head south from the same exit down to Sukhumvit to get to those hotels, they're the next major intersection south on Ratchadaphisek, which is actually Asoke Road down there).

For more info on the Mercure Fortune Hotel go to:
http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-5931...ok/index.shtml
The Mercure looks nice but the OP is interested in picking up a stay for the free SPG weekend nights promotion. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong here, that Mercure is an Accor property and not Starwood's.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Oops, I forgot about Plaza Athénée. It is also right at the entrance/exit to the highway so probably the best bet.
The problem with the PA is that you have to head down Wireless, then make a u-turn to head back towards Ploenchit. You then have to cross Ploenchit and take a back alley route (just past the Swiss Embassy) that brings you back out onto Ploenchit about 100 meters from the tollway entrance. Can be a bit tricky if your cab driver doesn't know it or decides to take you for an extra ride.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:10 pm

I'm only going on the distances provided to me by the hotels when I emailed them......I only stay at SGS (and on few occasions, WGS), so have no more knowledge than that.
So....if you don't like the distances I posted.....take it up with them...only going on what each hotel told me in December 2007!
I already know the distances (and the routes to the airport). That's why I was questioning how you got yours. Seems like the hotels were still giving the distance to Don Muang.

Last edited by SaigonCyclo; May 8, 2009 at 12:15 pm Reason: **

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.