Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA/DL/UA

And I say this as someone who did pre-board for the last 4 flights I've taken on Southwest. A few weeks ago I fell and broke a bone. I had to have surgery, and as a result had to reschedule two trips. I still use a sling to keep my arm in place and needed help from my traveling companion to carry my carry-on for me, and get a starboard window seat so no one smashes into my healing right side.

All the other pre-boarders were in wheelchairs, they boarded before me, and they took up every single seat in the front of the plane. What is their freaking hurry? They're like 85 years old! I went past the exit row because I personally feel that if it's that important you sit in the front, you should pay more, and the chances of getting an empty middle seat are greater back there (but didn't happen, oh well).

If you are disabled and need to preboard because the able-bodied crowd is going to mow you over, wouldn't you want to be in the safety of the back of the plane?

As an added bonus, pre-boarders sent to the back first should get rid of the fakers. I have no idea how many are fakers but I do think it's strange that the number of wheelchairs needed to get ON the plane is always more than the number of wheelchairs needed to get OFF the plane. This occurs with any airline but on Southwest with no seat assignments, I think it's unfair.

I've never bought a Business Select fare, but if I did and found the first five rows full of drooling old people I would be miffed

Last edited by Kevin AA; Oct 2, 2016 at 10:24 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The people who truly need preboarding will be better off if they don't have to fight their way all the way to the back of the plane and back. Getting a wheelchair all the way back, or having the frail attempt to walk 30 rows rather than 1 or 2 is a significant problem.

I would agree that the early boarders should exit last, though.

I don't think any of us have any complaints about those who truly need it. It those who are taking unfair advantage of the privilege that annoy many.

Hope you're feeling better, Kevin.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:07 pm

There are a myriad of reasons why someone might need to preboard, but let's just take into consideration those who have trouble walking - whether that be with a wheelchair, walker, crutches, etc.

You think those people should be made to walk *farther* on the plane than all of the people who are able bodied? I suppose you think they should park at the back of the parking lot as well?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camaross
There are a myriad of reasons why someone might need to preboard, but let's just take into consideration those who have trouble walking - whether that be with a wheelchair, walker, crutches, etc.

You think those people should be made to walk *farther* on the plane than all of the people who are able bodied? I suppose you think they should park at the back of the parking lot as well?
But they don't walk. They sit in a wheelchair. So what difference does it make? And this has nothing to do with parking.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The people who truly need preboarding will be better off if they don't have to fight their way all the way to the back of the plane and back. Getting a wheelchair all the way back, or having the frail attempt to walk 30 rows rather than 1 or 2 is a significant problem.

I would agree that the early boarders should exit last, though.

I don't think any of us have any complaints about those who truly need it. It those who are taking unfair advantage of the privilege that annoy many.

Hope you're feeling better, Kevin.
They don't have to fight anyone to the back of the plane. It's empty!

Thanks, I am getting better. Next time I'm on WN I'm going to buy early board check-in
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
They don't have to fight anyone to the back of the plane. It's empty!

Thanks, I am getting better. Next time I'm on WN I'm going to buy early board check-in
For the people who truly need the preboarding, that's a long walk or wheelchair ride down a narrow aisle. And then the wheelchairs have to get all the way back out.

I analyze the ambulation of the elderly and disabled on a daily basis. Trust me, everyone is better off if these folks aren't forced to walk a long ways.

Again, I don't think anyone can begrudge the truly needy this benefit.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:54 pm

The Air Carrier Access Act and accompanying DOT regulations are quite restrictive with respect to prohibiting medical preboard passengers from certain seats.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:25 am

southwest pre-boards are now larger than the A group almost. it's amazing to watch - and i think each pre-boarder is allowed 1 or 2 people to join them? so you end up with one person who doesn't look like they need it + 1 or 2 others.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Sorry about your uncomfort and broken bone, my question would be, did you automatically go to the rear of the cabin to sit?

If this is really a sore point for you, what is the reason you do not book on airlines where you can pre-select seats?

That sounds like a good plan, do you not think? That way your being bumped for someone who needs to 'pre-board' may be very very low...

Have good trips going forward, regardless!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:37 am

I will be preboarding with my mother coming up. We will not be walking to the back of the plane since honestly that's going to delay open boarding even longer at the speed she moves. Of course, if the OP wants to deal with getting her on and off the plane feel free to take over.

I hope that Kevin never has an ailment that makes it hard to walk... or if he does he meets nicer folks who don't think that forcing a handicapped person to walk even farther so the "judgment crew" can sit up front treat him as he is treating others?

(Kevin, unless you are totally wheelchair dependent you walk from the door of the plane to your seat on SW and most airlines!)
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
I'm sorry if this comes off the wrong way, but that is ridiculous. People who have trouble walking and need assistance should have to walk farther to the rear of the plane? All that will do is slow everything down. If you ever fly out of the airports going to Florida from the Northeast, you will see many people who would have EXTREME difficulty going down the aisle and many need assistance to get to the plane.

Maybe the reason why they took the seats in the front of the plane is that they needed them!!!

How would the De-planeing go? Would all the "able bodied" travelers now have to parade around a slew of wheelchairs on the jetbridge???

Just does not make any sense...
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:11 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Many years ago Southwest reportedly attempted to require family pre-boarders to sit in the rear of the aircraft. Flight attendants did not enjoy the additional enforcement duty. The effort failed.

Once Southwest began to monetize boarding order, abuse of family boarding and other pre-boarding skyrocketed. That's why we have mid-boarding for families and "passengers needing extra time" today.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:40 am

Yea, why does Southwest have more preboarders than other airlines?

Maybe they should advertise that in their new ad campaign. Handicapped? Come fly with Southwest!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:01 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yea, why does Southwest have more preboarders than other airlines?

Maybe they should advertise that in their new ad campaign. Handicapped? Come fly with Southwest!
Better than that, Southwest can advertise the magical healing powers of its all-737 fleet: "70% of our customers who need a wheelchair to get on the plane no longer need one by the end of their flight!"

Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:32 pm

As a husband to a wife with rheumatoid arthritis, I can tell you that Southwest's preboard policy works out really well for us. Wife and I get to board early, guaranteeing her a seat that works well for her frail hip, and we get off first so that we don't have to spend any more time than necessary in the seat. While she is cursed with arthritis, we still appreciate the opportunity to sit together in a seat that's as comfortable as possible, and we return the favor to passengers by stowing our carryons under my seat so that others can have more bin space. (And yes, my wife has all the paperwork to prove she's disabled. She may not need a wheelchair, but she's still disabled.)

We're not all bad people who deserve to sit in the back of the plane, you know. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.