FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:17 pm
Kevin AA
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

And I say this as someone who did pre-board for the last 4 flights I've taken on Southwest. A few weeks ago I fell and broke a bone. I had to have surgery, and as a result had to reschedule two trips. I still use a sling to keep my arm in place and needed help from my traveling companion to carry my carry-on for me, and get a starboard window seat so no one smashes into my healing right side.

All the other pre-boarders were in wheelchairs, they boarded before me, and they took up every single seat in the front of the plane. What is their freaking hurry? They're like 85 years old! I went past the exit row because I personally feel that if it's that important you sit in the front, you should pay more, and the chances of getting an empty middle seat are greater back there (but didn't happen, oh well).

If you are disabled and need to preboard because the able-bodied crowd is going to mow you over, wouldn't you want to be in the safety of the back of the plane?

As an added bonus, pre-boarders sent to the back first should get rid of the fakers. I have no idea how many are fakers but I do think it's strange that the number of wheelchairs needed to get ON the plane is always more than the number of wheelchairs needed to get OFF the plane. This occurs with any airline but on Southwest with no seat assignments, I think it's unfair.

I've never bought a Business Select fare, but if I did and found the first five rows full of drooling old people I would be miffed

Last edited by Kevin AA; Oct 2, 2016 at 10:24 pm Reason: typo