Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

California-Targeted Fast Track to Companion Pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

California-Targeted Fast Track to Companion Pass

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Finished my 5th round trip yesterday (landed about 8pm). Woke up this morning and already has the option to add my companion! Nice!

For those looking to see what it looks like to add the companion:
Thanks! My last flight is 10/29! Looking forward to that screen
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:23 am

Just an updated from my August 14 post.

On August 30, I was able to get 6 of my 8 planned flights (OAK-LAS-LAX-LAS-LAX-LAS-OAK). Everything was on time during the day. I had to scuttle the last OAK-LAX-OAK round trip due to an unexplained ground delay on the incoming aircraft. The Oakland GA said it was for "operations" which was as meaningless to him as it was to me. At the time there was no corresponding delay on the incoming LAX-OAK flight, but as it turns out, it also took an unexplained delay, and I could have made it. But I wasn't going to risk getting stuck in southern California.

I finished up my needed flights this past Saturday with a SJC-PHX-SFO jaunt. Companion Pass showed up on my account yesterday.

I wound up spending $454, a bit more than my original fare. The price increase was due to having to reschedule my return from Phoenix -- I had planned to meet a friend on Saturday, but plans changed and rather than spend the whole day at the airport I flew home early. I did save a few dollars earlier by rebooking OAK-LAS-OAK when its fare dropped.

Good luck to everybody else!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:06 am

Just finished my last flight last night (10:30 PM PST) and my companion pass was in my account when I woke up. Pretty happy how fast it showed up.

I had two organic flights already planned when I got the promotion. For my last 3 flights, I did SFO-LAS roundtrips for 3 consecutive days. I would fly into LAS, hang out/gamble on the strip for 5-6 hours, and then fly back to SFO at night. Glad I did LAS instead of LGB or BUR as I got to at least get some fun out of these flights.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:25 am

Did you win any money? Or donate more haha
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
Question

I'm late to the party on this one. Just noticed the promo in my account while browsing through the Southwest mobile site on a flight yesterday. Of course I registered for it and have no WN flights booked between now and month end. I live between LAX and LGB but can work with any of the L.A. area airports. I've seen some $36 flights LGB-LAS and some cheap ones between LAX and LAS. Just wondering if you guys could let me know what other city pairs tend to be this cheap into or out of Southern California? Gonna have to pull this off between work days.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:58 pm

LGB to OAK, while at OAK take a OAK to SAC, back to OAK before returning to LGB
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo
LGB to OAK, while at OAK take a OAK to SAC, back to OAK before returning to LGB
Thank you! Will check this out.

Edit: It says that OAK-SAC (SMF) is not a valid route. Did you mean a different airport than SAC by any chance?

Last edited by LA_FadeAway; Oct 1, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
LAX-PHX has been as low as $36.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway
Thank you! Will check this out.

Edit: It says that OAK-SAC (SMF) is not a valid route. Did you mean a different airport than SAC by any chance?
Oh sorry. I think it was Reno. Been looking at too many flights.

I took the lax to PHX run too, as stated above.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:06 am

Does anyone know for sure if WN is using the same plane/gate at LGB for their flights between LGB and LAS? One itinerary I'm considering includes LAX-LAS-LGB-LAS-LAX but the layover in LGB is only 30 minutes. The other option is to sit there for four or five hours. Just wondering how risky that 30 minute layover is.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:12 am

If its the 8 something from LGB arriving ~10:30 and taking off at 11 something from LAS then yes, same plane. Any other time I don't know.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:02 am

Does anyone know for sure if WN is using the same plane/gate at LGB for their flights between LGB and LAS? One itinerary I'm considering includes LAX-LAS-LGB-LAS-LAX but the layover in LGB is only 30 minutes. The other option is to sit there for four or five hours. Just wondering how risky that 30 minute layover is.
Yes, LGB only had one gate for Southwest. So the plane you come in on is the plane you'll be leaving in. I did this 4 times over the past 2 weeks. No risk at all, just get off the plane and meander to the boarding corral.

As a note, flights in LGB deplane and board from the front and the rear of the plane, so you can be one of the first ones off if you sit in the back.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:19 pm

Thank you! I am looking at the flights that arrive at LGB at 1:10pm and depart back to LAS at 1:40pm. I'm assuming the above applies to all the turn arounds.

Another question, I saw a few pages back someone mentioned that they could cancel your reservations if they see multiple reservations between the same city pairs in the same day. Has that been an actual problem for anyone? It would be easiest for me to just go back and forth between LGB and LAS or LAX and LAS but don't want to risk having any reservations canceled if that's a real possibility. That's why I was thinking LAX-LAS-LGB-LAS-LAX instead. I know they all need to be booked as separate one way tickets.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Looking to finally book these today and get that companion pass!

Last edited by LA_FadeAway; Oct 3, 2016 at 12:29 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:53 pm

Thank you! I am looking at the flights that arrive at LGB at 1:10pm and depart back to LAS at 1:40pm. I'm assuming the above applies to all the turn arounds.

Another question, I saw a few pages back someone mentioned that they could cancel your reservations if they see multiple reservations between the same city pairs in the same day. Has that been an actual problem for anyone? It would be easiest for me to just go back and forth between LGB and LAS or LAX and LAS but don't want to risk having any reservations canceled if that's a real possibility. That's why I was thinking LAX-LAS-LGB-LAS-LAX instead. I know they all need to be booked as separate one way tickets.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Looking to finally book these today and get that companion pass!
Correct, if you have a layover of 30 min in LGB then you'll be on the same plane leaving that you came in on. Although, not always the same crew...

When I had to get my BP printed 2 weeks ago I had 6 flights between LGB and OAK, 3 each, none of my flights were cancelled and they were all booked as one ways. Although the lady printing my pass was thoroughly confused as she thought I wasn't going to make all of my flights.

Last edited by chadwickx16; Oct 3, 2016 at 12:54 pm Reason: added info
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by chadwickx16
Correct, if you have a layover of 30 min in LGB then you'll be on the same plane leaving that you came in on. Although, not always the same crew...

When I had to get my BP printed 2 weeks ago I had 6 flights between LGB and OAK, 3 each, none of my flights were cancelled and they were all booked as one ways. Although the lady printing my pass was thoroughly confused as she thought I wasn't going to make all of my flights.
That's great, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.