Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will Southwest relent on insane summer fares? (Answer: June 3, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
AA has now matched VX with $69 sale fares for SFO<->LAX for most of June/July. DL is pricing at $82, but UA is still at $112 and WN apparently does not need to compete on fares in this market.

Just as well for me to buy on AA, as we have connecting flights, group 1 boarding and free checked bags with the credit card.
Old May 8, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Just purchased flights to LAX and MDW both at reasonable prices of around $220 R/T in August and September respectively. A few weeks ago both were more in the $400-$500 R/T range.

I have also been pricing some flights in July are down about 20% from what they were a month or two ago. ^

Originally Posted by texashoser
You want an example of ridiculous fares, try AUS -> HOU/IAH. WN's Any Time fare is $218 - for a 25-minute flight. And you think that's bad? UA's fully-refundable fare from AUS to IAH is $463! Four Hundred and Sixty three dollars! And to clarify, that's one-way!
I used to take day trips to AUS back when the R/T could be had for under $100. Now if I go over there I drive it and don't bother thinking about flying.
Old May 8, 2016, 6:47 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by alggag
I used to take day trips to AUS back when the R/T could be had for under $100. Now if I go over there I drive it and don't bother thinking about flying.
That's the new Southwest Effect.
Old May 9, 2016, 1:40 pm

I have been waiting and hoping for a fare drop for the summer also. I fly BWI -CLE several times a year including the summer months for the past several years. I usually pay around $69-89 each way.

The cheapest I can find for mid august is $131 each way.it's cheaper for me to fly with American Airlines

Last edited by jiffer21225; May 9, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Old May 9, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
still see some $54 and $69 flights LAS to DAL this month, guess thats pretty good
Old May 9, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Southwest lost another one. MSP-PHL on a Saturday 2+ months out. Southwest's lowest price for the date was double the AA nonstop and at undesirable times. Triple for comparable times.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I don't understand why you would even be looking at Southwest, which doesn't fly from MSP to PHL when you have 2 airlines that fly the route.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Southwest lost another one. MSP-PHL on a Saturday 2+ months out. Southwest's lowest price for the date was double the AA nonstop and at undesirable times. Triple for comparable times.
If they still fill the planes, they didn't lose anything.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't they "relent" with the summer sale they emailed us about this morning? I'm seeing "starting at" well under $100 OW for routes like LAX-OAK.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:06 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Didn't they "relent" with the summer sale they emailed us about this morning? I'm seeing "starting at" well under $100 OW for routes like LAX-OAK.
Not in late June through late August. Southwest is holding its $113/$123 price for that period, which I am sure will not come close to filling the planes.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The email I received lists travel dates as valid August 23 through November 2, 2016, (along with a huge list of additional limitations.)

So, Fall.
Old May 10, 2016, 2:52 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by nsx
Not in late June through late August. Southwest is holding its $113/$123 price for that period, which I am sure will not come close to filling the planes.
I just booked trips during that time period with Delta. Thanks for nothing Southwest. They lost another three reservations to the competition. Everyone at work has gotten the memo that Southwest is not the cheapest anymore. I doubt they will trick many people into buying these inflated summer fares.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:21 pm

FYI: I booked six WN one-way's over the weekend, all for September and October. MDW-LAS, MDW-MSY and LAS-STL. All meet the (lengthy, confusing) requirements for the sale announced today. I just re-checked, and 5 of the flights increased in price, 2 of them significantly. One remained the same.

So much for a "sale."
Old May 10, 2016, 4:57 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ursine1
So, Fall.
so, Fail.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: Southwest
What happened to the LAS to BWI route fares?

I used to be able to regularly fly this for about $100 or so each way as recently as last year. Now the fares between these two WN focus cities have shot through the roof for this summer. Why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.