Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion pass 2013-14

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Hot Pocket

May cancel the WN Premier Visa and churn that and the business card next year. We'll see. Good luck all.

It's highly unlikely that you will be able to churn the same Chase card by the end of 2015 if you cancel it today.

Go for the Plus card if you meet the churning rules
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Thanks in part to some guidance from this forum, I secured the 2015 CP by topping off with 100,000 Hyatt points (became 60,000 WN CPQP). It was suggested that it could take 4-6 weeks, but it took 2 business days.
Yes, a couple business days is normal for Hyatt. The longest I think I ever waited for any transfer was about 8-9 days for Diners. Choice used to transfer on Mondays mostly, if I recall right.

I really don't know why they cannot transfer instantly. Chase Ultimate Rewards > United is immediate.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I really don't know why they cannot transfer instantly. Chase Ultimate Rewards > United is immediate.
At Southwest they have to run the Hollerith cards and it takes a while to deliver them.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
You have a lot of knowledge and have helped me before so I know you are not making anything up but I take posters with 12 total posts with a grain of salt. Perhaps he was looking at a different Chase card as if you read his posts THIS CARD ( in the post you linked ) was for his wifes CP, he already had his CP.
Thanks for the vote of confidence . . .

It was the Chase RR card I had gotten for my wife. After we topped off her CP, we got the Chase UR card so that I could start building a reserve in the event I come up a little short on one of my CPs next year.

It was my first billing cycle on that new RR card, so I'm sure that had something to do with their ability to change it. But I knew exactly which account I was looking at when the original (later) closing date was stated. That's why I was so pissed -- I could have paid for that cruise in December and have it count toward 2015 CPQP, but I was trying to earn the CP for my daughter on my wife's account for that imminent trip. They literally changed my closing date between the time I paid for the cruise and the date the transaction posted.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Has anyone ever had trouble with showing up airport (especially for international flight) without the physical companion pass?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by BrerNashville
Thanks for the vote of confidence . . .

It was my first billing cycle on that new RR card, so I'm sure that had something to do with their ability to change it.
And that little bit of info ( first statement had not closed) changes everything.

Since you never had a statement close they never moved up your statement.

You made it sound like a statement closed on the 15th of the month and then the next month it closed on the 5th or some other date much earlier.

Had you stated that it was your first billing period it would have made sense and I'm sure several people here would have pointed that out to you.

From once ONE statement closes they can not move your statement closing date more than a day or two to adjust the 30 day billing period.

So I go back to my posters with 12 total posts comment. Thanks for proving my point.

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 26, 2014 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
My partner needs 30,000 RR points to qualify for CP. If he buys Marriott points and then transfers them to RR, do those RR points qualify for CP?

ERQ
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by ERQTraveler
My partner needs 30,000 RR points to qualify for CP. If he buys Marriott points and then transfers them to RR, do those RR points qualify for CP?

ERQ
Does he have all 4 SW credit cards ? Marriott Credit card ? How about Chase INK.

You are going to need 90K Marriott points to convert them to 30K SW

90K Marriott points cost over $1100

If you go the buying points route it's cheaper to just buy 30K from SW which I am GUESSING count towards CP.

GL

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 27, 2014 at 3:26 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Does he have all 4 SW credit cards ? Marriott Credit card ? How about Chase INK.

You are going to need 90K Marriott points to convert them to 30K SW

90K Marriott points cost over $1100

If you go the buying points route it's cheaper to just buy 30K from SW which I am GUESSING count towards CP.

GL
OOPS!

I forgot that Marriott points do not convert 1:1 to RR.

ERQ
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ERQTraveler

ERQ
Yes. But an expensive way to do it. I recommend getting a Chase Ink Bold/Plus or Sapphire Preferred card and get some spend on it fast. 50K UR => 50K Hyatt => 30K WN points, CP-qualifying.

GL
No, points bought from WN are not CP-qualifying.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

No, points bought from WN are not CP-qualifying.

Makes sense I guess as they don't want people topping off accounts to make CP but with what they charge for miles and so many ways to get miles for much less it makes you wonder who would buy them
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:47 pm

Hey all, I realize I'm super late to this, but I wanted to confirm that I'm on track for my companion pass for EOY.

I'm getting married at the end of November, and we were planning on honeymooning next year (once we had saved up a bit more). We've never been big travelers, but when I saw the offer for 50k points in January I figured why not jump for it and see if we can get our flights paid for on points. We have since put all of our wedding expenses to this point on the card, and I am currently sitting at 73k qualifying points (with some help by a few promotions and some extra points on this and that)! We also just booked a hotel for a quick getaway right after the wedding through Rocketmiles, netting us 14k+5k bonus miles for the trip.

I never even considered Companion Pass prior to noticing that with the 14k, we would be really close, so why not give it a shot!

So here's what I'm doing

73k - current
14k - will post from after trip (12/4-7)
19k - transferring from Choice hotels

This puts me about 4k shy of the pass.

I have about 2k worth of activity on the chase card that hasn't posted yet for October (my statement close date is today). Based on what I've been reading on this thread, the posting for the end of December is kind of iffy, so I really need to bust out that other 2k in November, and pray that Rocketmiles posts my other points in time (which again, based off other reading should be no problem).

Is there anything else I'm missing? I read something about adjusting your statement close date, but I didn't completely understand / am not sure if it applies to me.

Sorry about the long winded post and thanks in advance!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by robothero
So here's what I'm doing

73k - current
14k - will post from after trip (12/4-7)
19k - transferring from Choice hotels

This puts me about 4k shy of the pass.
Choice hotels transfers to SW at 6,000 choice points = 1800 SW points

So you would need 66,000 Choice points to get 19,800 SW points via the transfer

As long as that works for you just make sure you make the required credit card ( and have it post) spend BEFORE your December statement closes.

Originally Posted by robothero
Is there anything else I'm missing? I read something about adjusting your statement close date, but I didn't completely understand / am not sure if it applies to me.

In your case you might actually want to move your closing date back so you have more time to make the spend.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:48 pm

Choice hotels transfers to SW at 6,000 choice points = 1800 SW points

So you would need 66,000 Choice points to get 19,800 SW points via the transfer
Yup! I purchased the amount I needed to hit the 66k today during their sale.

As long as that works for you just make sure you make the required credit card ( and have it post) spend BEFORE your December statement closes.

In your case you might actually want to move your closing date back so you have more time to make the spend.
Can you explain this to me like I'm 5?

Edit: Based on the below, I just called Chase to adjust my closing date to be the 28th. This should ensure that the december points make it into my account in time right?

I just don't want to bank on points from December and not have them come through till January and be SOL.

Last edited by robothero; Oct 28, 2014 at 5:10 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:54 pm

Oh wow, I had it wrong. My closing date is actually the 6th, which explains that, and my payments are due on the 3rd. I had an autopay set up on the 28th.

I should fix that.

Last edited by robothero; Oct 28, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.