Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by soorox
Now if 9W goes ahead with the AF/DL deal i'm very confident that they would join ST!
Nobody who knows for which airlines who will joined into ST in a distant the future.

Originally Posted by saraoutou
Oman Air
Oh, right but, thanks. I appreciate your help.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:55 pm
Suspended

I think there might be a chance EY might join ST! Don't rule anything out!

EY just signed a code-share deal with both OK & VN, SkyTeam members! I know this might not be much but I see EY in ST one day!
Code share does not necessarily translate into an alliance. I am delighted to see that Star Alliance has picked another quality airline in Ethiopian Airways.

As far as an Indian carrier in ST. any would be welcome. As far as I am concerned, AI, 9W both are welcome,
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tc_jedi
GF will probably join OW and that might light a fire in the Gulf for other carriers to investigate alliances but for the time being, I don't see EY, EK or QR joining an alliance.
Correct, more Middle Eastern/West Asian carriers join an alliance, EK, EY QR, etc would have to change their thinking.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 3:00 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I think there might be a chance EY might join ST! Don't rule anything out!

EY just signed a code-share deal with both OK & VN, SkyTeam members! I know this might not be much but I see EY in ST one day!
Based on two carrier codeshares?

If we are using the codeshare criteria, then I see things going this way. Subtracting the seven Oneworld codeshares that already exist, I can see the following remaining unaligned EY partners as having a high probability of becoming OW members.

Sri Lankan - Stated they will join OW or *A.
Flybe - With BA and AY JV's, OW will be the most obvious choice.
BMI - If BA buys & keeps BD as an ongoing entity ex LGW.

Looking towards the future, I can see LATAM as EY's most likely partner when they decide to launch South American routes.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
give me Jet first!

if AI comes after great. If not it is a loss I can deal with!
Old Oct 16, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
give me Jet first!
I don't have a comparison term with AI or Kingfisher, but I found their service to be very good.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 8:50 am
Suspended

give me Jet first!

AI and Star Alliance are in talks again. If AI capitulates, both Jet and AI are going to Star Alliance.
Air India,Star Alliance resume talks
But it seems that AI and GoI are standing firm on their original stance that they would not allow Jet airways to join Star alliance if AI joins it.
"India and China are the biggest markets in the world," said captain Mohan Ranganathan, a Chennai-based aviation expert. "If India shuts the door on them, Star Alliance would be the loser. The government should be very firm with them this time."
and
The government too was reportedly upset with Star, and sources said the talks collapsed when the alliance insisted on inducting Jet Airways.

"AI had full backing of the government in this case," said a ministry official. "By rejecting it, Star had closed its options as far as India was concerned. They have realised this."
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yaatri
AI and Star Alliance are in talks again. If AI capitulates, both Jet and AI are going to Star Alliance.
But it seems that AI and GoI are standing firm on their original stance that they would not allow Jet airways to join Star alliance if AI joins it.

and
I don't understand it why? Why Star Alliance is very extremely upset? Unlikely, AI won't be fitted in Star Alliance. Cannot be accepted on those 2 Indian airlines to join into Star Alliance.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:47 am

Programs: FB Silver Elite, EK Silver, CX Silver, A3*G
Closer ties with SkyTeam? Maybe not but interesting nonetheless

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...ue&ref=wl_home
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by STelite
Closer ties with SkyTeam? Maybe not but interesting nonetheless

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...ue&ref=wl_home
India has longstanding ties with Vietnam. Air links between them were bound to be established. Normally, it would have been AI to sign the deal, had AI's plate not been full with fiscal problems and Star Alliance fiasco. Moreover, since AI is smitten with Star Alliance, there is little reason for the Vietnamese airline to sign a deal with an airline that is been upon joining Star Alliance at any cost. While, it's quite possible that this may represent a step toward closer ties with SkyTeam, it's equally likely that it means nothing other than a good business opportunity.

Last edited by Yaatri; Oct 17, 2011 at 10:57 pm
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Based on two carrier codeshares?

If we are using the codeshare criteria, then I see things going this way. Subtracting the seven Oneworld codeshares that already exist, I can see the following remaining unaligned EY partners as having a high probability of becoming OW members.

Sri Lankan - Stated they will join OW or *A.
Flybe - With BA and AY JV's, OW will be the most obvious choice.
BMI - If BA buys & keeps BD as an ongoing entity ex LGW.

Looking towards the future, I can see LATAM as EY's most likely partner when they decide to launch South American routes.
Just saying not to rule them out in ST that's all, who know's what EY is planning.

I would really like to work as one of the head directors of SkyTeam for only a day or a week to see what they do. It seems they work undercover 90% of the time. Besides the odd Welcoming ceremonies and the odd new office/check-in desks we don't see them that much.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
India has longstanding ties with Vietnam. Air links between them were bound to be established. Normally, it would have been AI to sign the deal, had AI's plate not been full with fiscal problems and Star Alliance fiasco. Moreover, since AI is smitten with Star Alliance, there is little reason for the Vietnamese airline to sign a deal with an airline that is been upon joining Star Alliance at any cost. While, it's quite possible that this may represent a step toward closer ties with SkyTeam, it's equally likely that it means nothing other than a good business opportunity.
It is similar to how AF has ties with QF.

While alliance matters, I believe you are right that good business opportunity comes first.

So basically ST is really just fighting for crumbs of who is left out of *A?

Last edited by DHalltheway; Oct 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm
Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:16 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Someone posted previously on FT that 9W should remain independent if the govt prevents them from joining *A.

I personally think that 9W would be better served by just forming deep codeshares with partners across alliances. They already have four *A partners and three OW partners.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

give me Jet first!

Calm down! You have be patiently for a while. Right now, AI or 9W is still in negotiating the SkyTeam. So hopefully, if AI or 9W will eventually to joining into SkyTeam.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by N830MH
Calm down! You have be patiently for a while. Right now, AI or 9W is still in negotiating the SkyTeam. So hopefully, if AI or 9W will eventually to joining into SkyTeam.
LOL! Yes! CALM DOWN, DAMMIT!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.