Search

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by azpyre
The word out is that Emirates, Etihad and Qatar are too proud to join any alliances.
I would prefer that these and AT (Air Maroc) stay independent. When great airlines join alliances, they have to dumb down their service to not stand out from the rest. I'm flying AT next week and very much looking forward to flying the best European* airline.

*I call it European as most of its routes are from CMN to Europe and they offer a better continental service than any other airline, either in economy or business class.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In any case RAM is firmly in the ST camp due to their close relationship with DL and AF whether they actually join the alliance or not.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
The word out is that Emirates, Etihad and Qatar are too proud to join any alliances.
I would like to see other airlines in ME considering ST, especially Gulf Air and Oman Air, apart from the previously announced SV. There's others like Kuwait Airways, but I prefer the two mentioned above.

I'm also hoping that ST moves fast to court Virgin Australia (or V Australia). ST's got a gap in that part if the world, and with the emergence of this Virgin carrier, it would definitely redefine the rivalry against Qantas and Air NZ. Air Pacific would also be a good addition to ST.
Emirates is anti Alliance so don't expect them to join one.

Qatar and Etihad will join one when they find the correct situation (which means they will wait till they find the right alliance)

Speaking of Virgin Aus, I wonder how Virgin Atlantic's alliance decision will affect Virgin Aus alliance decision.

Yes Virgin Aus has a JV with DL, but if Virgin Atlantic leaves for *A, then Virgin Aus may follow.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Oct 9, 2011 at 8:28 am
Old Oct 4, 2011, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Actually, EK is not considering to joining the Alliance. Not for a long time. I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:12 am

Programs: KL Life Platinum, QF Platinum, OZ Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by stimpy
I would prefer that these and AT (Air Maroc) stay independent. When great airlines join alliances, they have to dumb down their service to not stand out from the rest. I'm flying AT next week and very much looking forward to flying the best European* airline.

*I call it European as most of its routes are from CMN to Europe and they offer a better continental service than any other airline, either in economy or business class.
I'm speaking strictly from an earning EQMs point of view, but I do see your point.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm flying AT next week and very much looking forward to flying the best European* airline.

The things you learn on Flyertalk. I have seen some VERY good fares from them in the past and passed them off because I didn't know anything about them.

I might consider trying, if you recommend them so highly.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by raistlin
The things you learn on Flyertalk. I have seen some VERY good fares from them in the past and passed them off because I didn't know anything about them.

I might consider trying, if you recommend them so highly.
In business class, they free pour quality Champagne and IME have very personable stewardesses and great food. I've only flown economy once, ORY-CMN, and they served either chicken or fish. Nice and hot and better than any other airline in this region serves in economy.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue LTPE, skywards Silver, miles & more, fidelidade TAM, Accor silver, IHG gold
South America: unfortunately Avianca is gone now is remain GOL; Aerolineas will be partner next year.
Middle east: Qatar will be a dream, let's take SV and ME and see what's happen even could be nice gulf air.
India Jet Aiways? kingfisher? both? one of the two will be nice but please be fast before the other will arrive.
Was terrible the lost of MH but with Garuda not all is gone.
Africa: no experience.
What about Air Astana (KC)? is not bad and can cover area that now are empty.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everyone can forget about EK, EY and Qatar. In a decades time EK and EY will be one airline, that is the writing on the wall and no matter what is said and done there is little that will change this. EK not only does not want (nor need) to be a member of any alliance, but no alliance would have it unless it started to play nioce on extreme hard discounting and undermining other carriers, something that they will NOT do, witness the whole brouhaha regarding Canada, EK, LH and even the UAE and Canada's diplomatic relations. There is a glimmer that Qatar may at some point join Star, but frankly due to the way these carrierts have positioned themselves, alliances are just not on the cards.

Face it people, there are not that many airlines left of any magnitude anywhere that are not in an alliance or at least aligned in some way. Every carrier in Europe is in an Alliance. Other than the Indian carriers other than AI, India is the only "playground" left in Asia (All the decent sized Asian carriers are committed or at least accounted for). All Major North American carriers are accounted for. There is some flotsam still floating around the Middle East, but doies not account for much. The only African carrier of size that is not committed is Ethiopian Airlines, and the big(ger) South American Airlines have pretty much committed one way or the other.

From all alliances in the future get ready for tiny announcements after 2014 (Oman Air has joined an ALLIANCE!!!) or the start of active poaching of alliance members.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by lpx99nl
South America: unfortunately Avianca is gone now is remain GOL; Aerolineas will be partner next year.
Middle east: Qatar will be a dream, let's take SV and ME and see what's happen even could be nice gulf air.
India Jet Aiways? kingfisher? both? one of the two will be nice but please be fast before the other will arrive.
Was terrible the lost of MH but with Garuda not all is gone.
Africa: no experience.
What about Air Astana (KC)? is not bad and can cover area that now are empty.
Kingfisher is slated to join oneworld so thats gone. As for Jet, watch the Star Alliance space, I would say, after the fallout with Air-India.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by lpx99nl
Kingfisher is already slated to join Oneworld, and it looks like that process will go smoothly. Since Air India has had problems getting its act together, they continue to delay their membership into Star Alliance. So, Jet or Air India are still in the realm of possibilities.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by hfly

Face it people, there are not that many airlines left of any magnitude anywhere that are not in an alliance or at least aligned in some way. Every carrier in Europe is in an Alliance. Other than the Indian carriers other than AI, India is the only "playground" left in Asia (All the decent sized Asian carriers are committed or at least accounted for). All Major North American carriers are accounted for. There is some flotsam still floating around the Middle East, but doies not account for much. The only African carrier of size that is not committed is Ethiopian Airlines, and the big(ger) South American Airlines have pretty much committed one way or the other.

From all alliances in the future get ready for tiny announcements after 2014 (Oman Air has joined an ALLIANCE!!!) or the start of active poaching of alliance members.
Ethiopian Airlines is slated to join Star Alliance next year.

I think Skyteam needs to focus on getting 3 carriers:

1) Jet Airways or Air India
2) Virgin Atlantic
3) GOL

Outside of those, nothing else is really significant.

I agree with you for the most part--there just doesn't seem to many carriers left of decent size or scope to tip the scales. Skyteam has been working to woo Virgin Atlantic, so we will see what happens there. But even their entrance won't make or break any alliance. It looks like Virgin Atlantic may be heading to Star Alliance, however. I for one hope they choose Skyteam.

The only other semi-interesting player would be WestJet in Canada. Although far from being a heavy hitter like Air Canada, they have quite a nice network in North America and the Caribbean. Although I doubt they would add anything of significance.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While VS might be "nice" they are actually a pretty tiny carrier in the big scheme of things.......
Old Oct 7, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
VS doesn't really bring a whole lot, as hfly indicates. I think outside of an Indian carrier, what SkyTeam needs most is VA. Lots of regions are serviceable without a "local" carrier, but Australia/New Zealand isn't one of those regions.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
WY would be really nice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.