Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, QR is belonging to UA and they will expecting to join into Star Alliance in a distant the future.
Well, if Lufthansa ends its codesharing with QA, does it impact on their *A joining or not?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: Sky Pearl Club, Eastern Miles, Phoenixmiles
Next Member: Xiamen Airlines

It's confirmed on the Skyteam website that Xiamen Airlines will join end of 2012.

http://www.skyteam.com/en/About-us/P...Joins-SkyTeam/

Strangely there is a translation mistake: according to the Dutch article MF is the 4th largest airline in China whereas the English version claims that it's the 5th largest.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by BjornB
It's confirmed on the Skyteam website that Xiamen Airlines will join end of 2012.

Strangely there is a translation mistake: according to the Dutch article MF is the 4th largest airline in China whereas the English version claims that it's the 5th largest.
Indeed...Very good news. I'm sure they will be done very well. I am looking forward to it. MF will have a great opportunity to see join into SkyTeam sometime end of 2012. It will have a great addition to join the alliance.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:31 pm

Cool! The 20th full member of SkyTeam!!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Indeed...Very good news. I'm sure they will be done very well. I am looking forward to it. MF will have a great opportunity to see join into SkyTeam sometime end of 2012. It will have a great addition to join the alliance.
Although it is certainly not bad news when Skyteam expands its roster of carriers, this addition leaves me rather indifferent. Not really what most of us would call "a great addition".
Old Nov 18, 2011, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
SkyTeam is trying to capture the majority of one of the fastest growing markets in the world, and with the addition of MF, along side FM, MU & CZ, SkyTeam will be the most dominant alliance with about 44% of all capacity in China. Having the 1st, 2nd & 4th largest airlines in the country is something to scream about! I'm pretty sure other alliances would have been highly envious in what ST has achieved in China.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:06 am

When it comes to Indian airlines, I'm really glad that IT did NOT end up in ST. They're going to have a lot of problems going forward, not as bad as AI but still.

9W is a well run, top notch airline and they have big plans to join *A unless the government of India gets involved.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:09 am

Actually, MH has already join Oneworld Alliance sometime in 2012.
But until then, you can still book MH awards. Just snagged CMB-KUL-HKG in J last minute for 35K skypesos.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BjornB

What is next after Xiamen?

Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by adamj023

Hainan Airlines anyone?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hainan is going down the OneWorld trail after AB.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Although it is certainly not bad news when Skyteam expands its roster of carriers, this addition leaves me rather indifferent. Not really what most of us would call "a great addition".
most of the big airlines or airlines that create excitement have already been spoken for, with the exception of those from the other fast growing market.

Any new members are not likely to excite all Skyteam flyers.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tc_jedi
When it comes to Indian airlines, I'm really glad that IT did NOT end up in ST.
Agreed. I am glad that I did not choose to take IT for DEL-LHR segment of my WAS-DEL award ticket.

Originally Posted by tc_jedi
They're going to have a lot of problems going forward, not as bad as AI but still.

9W is a well run, top notch airline and they have big plans to join *A unless the government of India gets involved.
We heard great things about IT also. It's odd to hear IT's name in the same breath as AI, given the general feeling about AI. Personally, I have not had any problems with AI whenever I have used it, and I happen to like it. I wonder if the goodwill for 9W is not overblown as was goodwill for IT and distaste for AI. I also wonder how 9W would fare under stress similar to that faced by IT.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by adamj023

Not sure who will be next new Skyteam member. You will find out soon enough. Perhaps, AI or 9W who will eventually to join the Skyteam.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Agreed. I am glad that I did not choose to take IT for DEL-LHR segment of my WAS-DEL award ticket.
I thought about taking IT from MAA-CMB (where I am at the moment) but ultimately decided to go with 9W due to better connection times. Glad I did. The flight I would have taken was one of the ones affected by their financial morass. 9W was on time and efficient and has some of the best in-flight meals I've ever had.

It'd be great to have 9W in ST as they have a huge network in India and would provide good foot holds in some traditionally non-ST markets (DEL, BOM, MAA, BRU) with great connection opportunities from the Northeastern part of North America, Europe and the Gulf.

What SkyTeam really needs to focus on is getting 9W and LATAM. It will be a formidable challenger if it bags both. It's nice that they've locked up China so well but India and South America are glaring deficiencies in ST at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.