Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by Aziz
There will probably no more Sky Team within 5 years.
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
There will probably be no OW in 5 years not ST.
In 5 years it's also possible that Star Alliance will have broken up into at least two pieces.

Originally Posted by Henry III
OW members seem to be sitting on their respective, arrogant past reputations.
They definatively have Mexicana joining in 2009, which is 1 more airline than SkyTeam...
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes but overall percentage-wise 1world has had far more turnover than any of the other alliances (Star and 1world have each lost three, however Star has twice as many members so percentagewise the loss has been less). CO is to date the only partner that ST has ever lost (yeah Copa will probably go with them), while 1world has lost Aerlingus, Canadian and Swiss (very very briefly), Star Alliance has lost Ansett, Varig and Mexicana.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Mariott Plat, HH Diam
Another newspaper article from Vietnam stating that Vietnam Airlines has been approved by the governent to join Skyteam in 2010.

Article****
The Prime Minister has just agreed to the proposal of Vietnam Airlines on an additional purchase of 10 passenger planes, the Airbus A321-200, during the period of 2011-2014.

Accordingly, the Vietnamese flag carrier should directly negotiate the details of the contract with the producer.

The Prime Minister also permitted Vietnam Airlines to join SkyTeam, the global airline alliance, and to prepare the necessary groundwork for the accession in 2010.

Still, he requested the carrier to follow the current principles and regulations during the membership.

The Prime Minister also agreed in principle regarding the proposal requiring that organizations and agencies funded by the state budget should use the service of Vietnam Airlines while traveling by air at home and overseas.

http://army.qdnd.vn/vietnam.economy.enews.24116.qdnd
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's great, I've flown them a few times and they are not a bad small airline.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by hfly
Yes but overall percentage-wise 1world has had far more turnover than any of the other alliances (Star and 1world have each lost three, however Star has twice as many members so percentagewise the loss has been less). CO is to date the only partner that ST has ever lost (yeah Copa will probably go with them), while 1world has lost Aerlingus, Canadian and Swiss (very very briefly), Star Alliance has lost Ansett, Varig and Mexicana.
Interesting theory but not sure anyone can predict the future impact on the make-up of each of the alliances due to:

- bankruptcy (Ansett, Varig)
- takeover by an airline in another alliance (Canadian)
- conversion to LCC (Aer Lingus)
- leaving because the alliance no longer made sense compared to when you joined it (Mexicana, Continental, Copa and theoretically Swiss)

If you were to use the time over which these happened, you'd say SkyTeam's rate is increasing:

*A - 2001 (Ansett) 2003 (Mexicana) 2006 (Varig)
OW - 2000 (Canadian) 2008 (Aer Lingus)
ST - 2009 (Continental) 2009 (Copa)

but that statistic probably also isn't relevant to how their make up will change in the future.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
while 1world has lost Aerlingus, Canadian and Swiss (very very briefly), .
Swiss were never actually a member of Oneworld , they did sign an agreement to join but backed out before joining so they were not "very very briefly" in Oneworld
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
That's great, I've flown them a few times and they are not a bad small airline.
Great! I'm glad to see VN is considering to joining into ST sometime in year of 2010. I can't wait to see more global alliance will be stronger more demand. What about IT or CI will expected to be joins into ST. Is that still in negotiating deal with Skyteam member of the board.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Star Alliance has lost Ansett, Varig and Mexicana.
thats not bad considering the size of the alliance.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:41 am

Originally posted by hfly
CO is to date the only partner that ST has ever lost (yeah Copa will probably go with them), while 1world has lost Aerlingus, Canadian and Swiss (very very briefly), Star Alliance has lost Ansett, Varig and Mexicana.
What about the loss of South African Airways as a Skyteam partner? That was a big loss to those of us flying out of IAD.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Dreps
What about the loss of South African Airways as a Skyteam partner? That was a big loss to those of us flying out of IAD.
But you guys are getting it back now once CO moves into *A
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by Dreps
Huh?! SAA was never in any alliance other than Star.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No SAA was a Skymiles partner, but never a ST partner. I believe that Swiss was technically a member for a few weeks, but I could be wrong about the exact circumstances.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by UA Fan
thats not bad considering the size of the alliance.
anyone else think so?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
It's great that VN are finally joining something, now giving SkyTeam a slice of the SE Asian market! In a few years SkyTeam would have a great new HUB in Long Thanh, hopefully by then the Vietnamese government won't make transfers so difficult.

Once VN joins it would just pull CI closer to SkyTeam
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:26 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by nomad1974
I wonder over how many years they need to "talk" in order to take some decisions?!
I am confused also about the the amount of time airlines are taking to decide on an alliance. I personally would like to see China Airlines and Jet Airways in the Skyteam camp but that might take a few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.