Wiki Posts
Search

Sixt - Any Questions?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:56 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Why not take the train to the Basel Euro airport? from there no need to go through Switzerland or Italy, you can go through France via Besancon, Lyon and Marseilles, it's only an extra hour on the journey.
Plus, rental prices in France are usually cheaper than in Switzerland, especially for a one-way trip
Or if you've already booked, take the road from the train station to Saint-Louis, and there use the French roads, no Vignette issues.

But generally speaking AFAIK, no vignette was put on the rentals I had in Switzerland
Thanks for this, I have not booked yet but prices are very reasonable for one way rentals. I have not checked prices for the Sixt at the airport but I will look into this
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by leops1984
How big is the credit card hold that Sixt puts on the card when it's rented? I know that for premium vehicles it can be up to 3x the rental, but what about for more modest classes (ICAR and FCAR)?
I've used SIXT in Europe and the US and the credit hold was the total cost of the rental for me.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Uh Clem
Will be renting a Mercedes C class or similar at FLL. Will it come with GPS? When I've rented from Sixt in Germany a Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series will always have GPS included. I called the FLL Sixt office and the girl who answered said it would come with GPS if it's a new car and still has GPS covered under the trial period. I'm pretty sure she confused GPS with Satellite radio.
I had reservations for a Mercedes C or BMW 3 at FLL and they gave me a Cadillac XTS last month and it came with GPS.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:00 am

Upgrade

Hello people,

Does someone known what upgrade would be from XFAR model (X5, GLE and escalade)? I got this 9 days rental in Miami and i booked a xfar. I'm sixt Platinum.
Is it possible to get a XJAN or XZAN as an upgrade?

Thank you

Last edited by Rearocha; Apr 28, 2016 at 10:25 am
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:59 am

Just came back from France & received an email from Sixt with an invoice showing--you guessed it--that "the cardholder chose to effectuate payment in USD" with a 3% fee. If I "chose" DCC, it was buried in a mountain of fine print on the rental agreement. I certainly didn't choose it knowingly or willingly.

Bottom line: beware, beware, beware. If you rent from Sixt, be certain to ask at pickup whether they're "offering" DCC (and if so, to opt out).
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:48 am

I am becoming a huge fan of Sixt after renting with them the last time I traveled home to Miami. Once again I booked with Sixt (prepaid) 83 days in advance and subsequently signed up with the mobile app. A day after booking, I realized I had the days wrong and wanted to modify the booking to shift the days up one so it coincides with my arrival. Sixt wants a rebooking fee. Not a good look from Sixt for a reservation that is so far in advance. Additionally, attempts to load last year's reservation has proven unsuccessful as the mobile app is asking for a security code that last year's booking (**********) did not have. I was hoping that coupled with my current booking (**********) that it would change my member status. Even so last year's booking was not made that far in advance and I got a better price point than I did for an advanced booking. So with no price protection I am regretting prepaying rather than simply reserving. How can I modify a prepaid booking without incurring fees and how can i get credit for past rentals with Sixt? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Prospero; Apr 30, 2016 at 7:30 am Reason: Cloak booking numbers
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beltway
Just came back from France & received an email from Sixt with an invoice showing--you guessed it--that "the cardholder chose to effectuate payment in USD" with a 3% fee. If I "chose" DCC, it was buried in a mountain of fine print on the rental agreement. I certainly didn't choose it knowingly or willingly.

Bottom line: beware, beware, beware. If you rent from Sixt, be certain to ask at pickup whether they're "offering" DCC (and if so, to opt out).
Been hit with DCC at Sixt a couple of times and emailed the representatives on FT.

From what I gathered, system will prompt which currency to charge after card is swiped during pickup. The agent is suppose to ask you which currency to charge. Often times they don't. Your bottom line is accurate. Inform the agent which currency to charge during pickup to avoid DCC.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
From what I gathered, system will prompt which currency to charge after card is swiped during pickup. The agent is suppose to ask you which currency to charge. Often times they don't. Your bottom line is accurate. Inform the agent which currency to charge during pickup to avoid DCC.
The agent definitely did not ask me that question. While my French is passable, I made sure to converse in English so I'd understand all the questions during pickup (including the numerous upsell suggestions, such as paying extra for CDW, automatic transmission, etc. ad inf.).
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:46 am

Quick question, I plan to rent a car through Sixt from West Hollywood location (and return to LAX to fly out) in July. I am riding in from Vegas through a tour bus so I am unclear as to WHEN I can pick up the car. I was told by tour operator I should be at Korean Town (about 5 miles from the location) by 4-5 o'clock. and the location closes at 7PM. I noticed that renting for 4 days or 5 days won't change the price (actually 5 day rental is few cents cheaper). So, I am wondering whether it would be ok to book the car for 5 days (prepaid) but IF I happen to not arrive in time, whether I can just pick up the car next morning. (with understanding I will pay for 5 day rental- which is cheaper than 4 day rental ever so slightly). I am planning to book LFAR (Hopefully would get an upgrade.. Though last time I booked XCAR and they "upgraded" me to LFAR which definitely was NOT an upgrade.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:57 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Booked a PDMR (Mercedes Benz Classe E, BMW Série 5 or similar to) car at CDG.
Can I expect to receive one of the German models or will it fall on some French-made brand? What would the likelihood be of an upgrade with a Sixt Plat card?
Old May 4, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Booked a PDMR (Mercedes Benz Classe E, BMW Série 5 or similar to) car at CDG.
Can I expect to receive one of the German models or will it fall on some French-made brand? What would the likelihood be of an upgrade with a Sixt Plat card?
French carmakers (Renault, Peugeot-citroen) do not have cars in that segment.
high-end cars from those two are the Citroen DS5, Peugeot 508 (usually cat SDMR) or Renault Talisman (also SDMR, or SDAR)
Old May 7, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Posted this in the wrong thread so moving over:

Is LTAR just a big bait and switch? I've booked it twice and both times I've shown up I've been told not available, and offered a mustang.

Last time I was given a 228i (Which I had to fight for) -- fine car, but not a 4 series or an A5 and Sixt's offer of a ~$10 refund is pretty lousy.

Does SIXT in the U.S. actually stock these? Are advertised rates at all tied to actual inventory? Because my limited experience seems to be demonstrating this is just a fraud on the customer.
Old May 7, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Posted this in the wrong thread so moving over:

Is LTAR just a big bait and switch? I've booked it twice and both times I've shown up I've been told not available, and offered a mustang.

Last time I was given a 228i (Which I had to fight for) -- fine car, but not a 4 series or an A5 and Sixt's offer of a ~$10 refund is pretty lousy.

Does SIXT in the U.S. actually stock these? Are advertised rates at all tied to actual inventory? Because my limited experience seems to be demonstrating this is just a fraud on the customer.
From Sixt in the US (MIA and LAX), I've have had a 228i, a 528i, an A3 and an A8. Always the type of car I was expecting.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Hi Sixt or anyone else that knows the answer.

I am looking to get a one way car rental from Basel Train Station to Nice Train Station.

According to Google Maps this takes me on toll roads in Switzerland, Italy and France. According to extra Googling. Not very expensive to pay for the tolls in France and Italy but in Switzerland I understand one needs an annual vignette.

I can see no option on the Sixt site for including rentals or anything or whether your cars already have the vignette. So how is this handled for your rentals?
The car we rented in April from Sixt at Basel airport (Swiss side) had a vignette. If you rent at the airport, you can rent from either the French side or the Swiss side and you need to be careful which side you make your reservation with. If the car has Swiss plates, then I think it has to have a vignette.

Just to add that I was looking to book a car for August and noticed the following on the Sixt website: This branch is located on the Swiss sector of the airport. With a rental agreement in the Swiss sector, we guarantee you a vehicle with a vignette to use the Swiss Autobahn/highway. (my bolding)

Last edited by eefor jfp; May 11, 2016 at 7:39 am Reason: add last paragraph
Old May 13, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, UA
???s for one way trip: Paris-Bavaria-Italy-Cannes

I have Sixt Platinum status and have found a rate of 311 euros for a one week rental (IVMR) picking up in Paris (Voltaire Nation) and dropping off at Cannes in early June.

This is our first time renting with Sixt in Europe and also first time driving in France. I should add that we plan to take a road trip through Bavaria, Lake Como ending in Cannes. We've rented from Sixt in the USA several times with good results.

1. Any general advice from 'well seasoned' travelers?
2. What are the possibilities of an upgrade from IVMR - VW Touran or similar? (We are a group of 4 so extra space is welcome; currently own a BMW X5)
3. Any 'perils and pitfalls' to be aware of either in the rental process or road trip?

I enjoy driving and have rented cars in many countries including driving on the left in England and the Caribbean. Any tips would be helpful!

Cheers!

Last edited by Mo2vate; May 13, 2016 at 9:04 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.