Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not as Great as the Hype

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by weero
Every single item is better on SQ (ok, I like CX uniforms better).
CX uniforms, better? You're joking, right?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by chisquared
CX uniforms, better? You're joking, right?
No I am not. I don't like the SQ uniforms at all. I'd take OS' uniforms of SQ's !
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by weero
No I am not. I don't like the SQ uniforms at all. I'd take OS' uniforms of SQ's !
Every single Sarong Kebaya is made-to-measure and made-to-fit the girl wearing it. That's why my friend said that even if you don't have an hour glass figure, by the time she puts on the Kebaya, she does !

Don't think CX does that .. or AC (as per OP's original post) !
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Flew LAX-NRT in Suites last week, and I can't help but agree with the OP's general point that the product is over-hyped.

I have the feeling it was a function of a bad crew, but some examples:

1. Asked for a fruit plate mid-flight, per the snack menu. I was served from a basket of fruit (not cut), and when I chose the pineapple and pear, was handed a plastic-wrapped pineapple. I had to specifically ask for a fork, knife, and plate just to make it edible.

2. They kept referring to my GF as my last name, despite our boarding passes being completely different. NOT a big deal, but reflects attention to detail. What if this made me uncomfortable?

3. Small details were often forgotten - e.g., I get up to use the bathroom to clearly change into pajamas (they saw me go into restroom) - seems like a good opportunity to make my bed. NOPE.

4. The galley was awfully loud the entire flight. We were in row 3 and could hear chattering / clinking the whole way.

5. The cabin was SO, SO DRY. Never experienced anything like this in my life. Definitely been in dry cabins, but it was hot, dry, and so unpleasant that sleep was almost impossible. Got a little better when I asked them to lower the temperature, but good god, I thought I was going to get a nosebleed from the dryness. My GF shared the same sentiment. I don't remember this happening when I flew the A380 in SQ J a few months ago, so I don't know what's up here.

Like I said, most of this is specific crew fault, but I told them it was my anniversary as we were boarding, and how excited we were to be on SQ, and I never felt the "excitement" back.

It was still a great flight, but was not blown away like I expected to be. Was on the same level as EY F, slightly worse than CX F (and I had a bad experience on my last CX F flight), and not in the same league as LH F.

Looks like I need to find an excuse to fly again to see how much was attributable to the crew, or perhaps my expectations going too far.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
OP should stick with AC and UA, he has that option. SQ's standards are not aligned to his lowered expectations. Cheers
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by callmedtop

2. They kept referring to my GF as my last name, despite our boarding passes being completely different. NOT a big deal, but reflects attention to detail. What if this made me uncomfortable?

Like I said, most of this is specific crew fault, but I told them it was my anniversary as we were boarding, and how excited we were to be on SQ, and I never felt the "excitement" back.
Uhm, could that be the source of confusion?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
Uhm, could that be the source of confusion?
In my eyes, anniversary doesn't imply married. Plenty (most?) people celebrate anniversaries before marriage.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
In my eyes, anniversary doesn't imply married. Plenty (most?) people celebrate anniversaries before marriage.
Perhaps not in Asia .
Please remember especially when travelling , in certain parts & Mid East included , it can mean jail or worse
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: CX DM
In Singapore you can't buy a flat from the government (the HDB actually) until you're married. And >80% of the population depend on living in these flats. So your average Singapore girl may be wired very differently.

Last edited by KACommuter; Dec 27, 2014 at 11:36 pm Reason: typo error
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Haven't flown J since 2007 but have flown F several times since and also Y. As an airline SQ is still my benchmark. Excellent service in all cabins. I still recall once in Y when w/out asking they put something in the fridge for us. I still love the seat in C and F but have not tried suites but will in March.

I have not flown any of the Middle East airlines save a 3 hour C in EK and it was ok. So my comps are UA, AA, LH, TG, OS, ANA.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:46 am

Not as Great as the Hype

Was in SQ Suites 2 days ago.

The Suites are really nice.
Food: excellent main course, the rest was nothing to write a book about it.
Service: a little better than LH F.

Food and service overall were better on LX F (5 days ago).
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:19 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by SQ325
By the way, in Europe on 3hours+ TK uses Standard Y seats with blocked middle seat and sell that as biz.
Not (always) correct. Many A321's/A320's/B739/B737-900's/B737-700's have proper Business Class (2 + 2 like F in the USA), quite comparable to SQ Regional J.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by TPJ
Not (always) correct. Many A321's/A320's/B739/B737-900's/B737-700's have proper Business Class (2 + 2 like F in the USA), quite comparable to SQ Regional J.
I'd be interested to hear which arilines in Europe do this, and what sort of route. The only time I can recall seeing this layout is on Icelandair on their 757 between London and Reykyavik.

Most of my intra-Europe flying has been on flights of ~2 hours or less, and so far I have not come across this 2+2 layout on BA, LH, AF, IB, LX or AY. All of these seem to market 3+3 with a blocked middle seat as "business class".
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by KACommuter
I'd be interested to hear which arilines in Europe do this, and what sort of route. The only time I can recall seeing this layout is on Icelandair on their 757 between London and Reykyavik.

Most of my intra-Europe flying has been on flights of ~2 hours or less, and so far I have not come across this 2+2 layout on BA, LH, AF, IB, LX or AY. All of these seem to market 3+3 with a blocked middle seat as "business class".
I think TPJ was referrring to TK specifically for their intra-Europe routes. Of course all European airlines i know uses 3+3 flexible layout. I have not flown SU and TK intra-Europe. I have the feeling that they are the exceptions and do use 2+2.

Furthermore, TK regularly uses widebodies intra-Europe in between longhauls.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by SQueeze
I think TPJ was referrring to TK specifically for their intra-Europe routes. Of course all European airlines i know uses 3+3 flexible layout. I have not flown SU and TK intra-Europe. I have the feeling that they are the exceptions and do use 2+2.

Furthermore, TK regularly uses widebodies intra-Europe in between longhauls.
TK's business regional seats are not at all comparable to SQ regional but they are 2-2 layout and still VERY comfortable. And as SQueeze said, widebodies are frequently used to CDG, BRU, LHR, FRA and others with angled or lie flat seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.