Search

Four Seasons Scottsdale (Troon North) Trip Review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Four Seasons Scottsdale (Troon North) Trip Review

Just got back from a nice 2-day experience at the Four Seasons in Scottsdale. Overall, a very nice stay. We booked it through our Virtuoso agent (DavidO), and the Virtuoso package got us upgraded at time of booking to a Deluxe Casita, free breakfast each day and a welcome gift (was supposed to be fruit, but turned out to be gorp and snack mix, which was fine). The rate was $595 per night.

The hotel itself is about 30 minutes from PHX and not near any of the other resorts or restaurants/malls that seem to be everywhere in Scottsdale. The best part of the resort is the view, which is not in any way to put down the service. But the view is just stunning, and words/pictures cannot begin to describe it, so I won't even bother to try.

We arrived at the hotel at about 10 am and were told that our room wasn't ready, but that they would call us when it was. For the first time in my life, a front desk worker actually did call us when the room was ready, only an hour later. The casita itself was huge and right at the foot of self-park, which made it very convenient. We had a great view. Overall, we were very happy with the view.

For those of you who like quiet by the pool, the hotel is 1 for 2. There are three pools, a kiddie pool, an "everyone" pool and an adults-only pool, which the hotel did a respectable job at keeping adults-only. We noticed a few teenagers (with their parents) lounging on the chairs and swimming, but since they weren't causing any problems, no one said anything. The only thing we didn't like is that there was no "cell-phone free" zone, meaning that we got to listen to all of our neighbors screaming into their phones as they made calls that were too important to wait until they got back to the room. The quietest area, by a long shot, was actually near the kiddie pool, since only one or two families were up there and they kept a close eye on their little people. The staff did a great job setting up around the pool, passing out fruit, etc. The only complaint we had was that they were a little heavy-handed pushing drinks on us.

We didn't eat much at the hotel, but what we did have was fine. Breakfast was either menu or buffet, with an omelet station and the usual breakfast buffet "stuff" that you find at most resorts. The $25 per person was included in our room. We did make the mistake of ordering a room service pizza one night, which I can say was one of the five worst pizzas that I have ever had. I don't know what it is about FS, but they can't make a decent room service pizza anywhere--there's at least one other thread on FT that talks about bad FS pizza.

Service was its usual outstanding, and the staff went out of their way to take care of the guests. They are also selling fractional ownership (time share) on property, and I have to admit, $7,500 to purchase a week in low-season sounded good, until they threw in a 2k per year maintenance fee.

Overall, it was the typical strong Four Seasons property, and we would probably return.

Mike
Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
nice...but $$$$$

I have been to this property and it's amazing, but I always thought $600.00 a night for scottsdale north was too $$$$$ for me. I think the rooms should rate out about $399.00 max per night. Great location, great views and great service. Glad you had fun.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great report ^

low season
rooms run $205>$295

peak season
rooms run $565>$795

(not including suite upgrade from top room via virtuoso/FHR)

current 4th nt free promo
rooms run $425>$595

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 24, 2008 at 10:44 am
Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:12 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Someone has to pay for those renovations....!
I personally book other Scottsdale resorts for my clients. The FS is often a poor value.

Last edited by ABG; Mar 24, 2008 at 5:19 pm
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
In high season this place is WAY over priced! We typically go out every Labor Day weekend...when we have kids we stay at the Westin Kierland, when someone generously takes them off our hands, we typically stay here...rates are usually $165-$195/night! While I am not crazy about this property, for those rates it is worth the drive.
One time we stayed, we checked in and our room was filled with bugs...it was like 2AM and they moved us immediately. The next morning we woke up to find more bugs in that room...they sent up someone who was horrified and they moved us again...no compensation offered during our stay, so my wife wrote a letter and they gave us a free weekend! When using that free weekend, we added one night...this time there was a snake in our room...they were VERY quick to get up there and remove it! Not a fault of the hotel that the snake got in, it's understandable. I was a little surprised that they didn't at least call to check and see how everything was after the event.
As far as the pools go, if you are looking for peace and quiet, head over to the residence club pool...it is typically MUCH more laid back!
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:52 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
You deserved point-of-service compensation and any 5* outfit should do just that.

Making you write for it is a bigger failure than the bugs themselves.

All the chains seem to be woefully behind in recognizing their own failures and making it right + a little extra on the spot.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from reading this forum, compensation almost always seems to depend on the guest's standards and experience with handling such lapses..
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Compensation for these issues is always a touchy issue. My wife and I are polar opposites on this...I generally take a back seat and don't protest too much...she is just the opposite. In this case I asked her to let it go as we were sans kids and I just wanted to relax for the weekend...I also secretly hoped the FS would step up and comp us something so I could get her to relax in the future and do things "my way"...no such luck! :-)
I also forgot to mention that when we returned, they provided us with two very nice spa robes for free in our room, which I thought was a nice touch!
I also thought a phone call from the front desk was in order about the snake incident...again, knowing it was not their fault, but it would have been nice to get a phone call checking to make sure everything was in order.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
FWIW, they are still selling weeks at the residence club next door. We stayed there on a special - three nights for $800 in April - prime time!

We loved it but felt it was too far removed from things. And while I thought the golf course was magnificent, the 5+ hour round was way too much for me. We ended up buying a week at the Westin Kierland and love it.

But if I wanted a vacation there, I'd first check to see if a preview visit was available at the residence club. It was the most low-pressure sales meeting I've ever seen - well under 30 minutes.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:29 pm
In memoriam

We have stayed at the hotel during low season a few times (we visit family in Scottsdale). I've written up our stays elsewhere here. You can get some absolutely amazing deals in low season (last stay worked out to a little more than $100/night when the hotel was being renovated). Robyn
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great report ^

low season
rooms run $205>$295

peak season
rooms run $565>$795

(not including suite upgrade from top room via virtuoso/FHR)

current 4th nt free promo
rooms run $425>$595
I know you usually have the straight poop on hotels but you should know that AMEX just told me that there is no "upgrade to suite" listed for this hotel.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
Someone has to pay for those renovations....!
I personally book other Scottsdale resorts for my clients. The FS is often a poor value.
The Four Seasons is a "poor value" in the same way that full fare F airline tickets are a "poor value."
Old Apr 4, 2008, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good to know FHR doesnt upgrade past rooms, thats unfortunate. i was referring more to the possibility that virtuoso might offer confirmed upgrades from top room to suite. sorry, i could have been clearer.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 4, 2008 at 7:12 pm
Old Apr 4, 2008, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
good to know FHR doesnt upgrade past rooms, thats unfortunate. i was referring more to the possibility that virtuoso might offer confirmed upgrades from top room to suite. sorry, i could have been clearer.
I am guessing that I am not the only one who is not very familiar with Virtuoso. Is there a thread on it?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in the sticky at the top of the forum >
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660610

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.