Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Scottsdale (Troon North) Trip Review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:40 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
good to know FHR doesnt upgrade past rooms, thats unfortunate. i was referring more to the possibility that virtuoso might offer confirmed upgrades from top room to suite. sorry, i could have been clearer.
I have been told that Virtuoso will NOT upgrade past the top room, either.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by xracer
I have been told that Virtuoso will NOT upgrade past the top room, either.
Wouldn't it be great to clear this up?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:50 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
The Four Seasons is a "poor value" in the same way that full fare F airline tickets are a "poor value."
I think you missed the point... I'm saying there are better resorts in the area, that charge the same or less (or give away more to get you in the door).
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Someone has to pay for those renovations....!
I personally book other Scottsdale resorts for my clients. The FS is often a poor value.
Originally Posted by ABG
I think you missed the point... I'm saying there are better resorts in the area, that charge the same or less (or give away more to get you in the door).
Please be precise as it's difficult to understand exactly what you mean and people reading this are making reservations today.

How can something be a poor value "often?" You mean when the price is above $100 a night? I've already said that the Four Seasons guest is often not looking for lower priced accommodations.

Then you say that there are better resorts in the area that charge less per room (if I understand you correctly). That's a legitimate point.

So, which resorts in the area do you consider better and why and what are their rates, say this Memorial Day, compared to the Four Seasons Scottsdale?

Incidentally, I am told that this hotel just completed a $17 million renovation including every single guest room. Did you know that?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 1:39 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I think my post is very clear in my opinion about the FS Scottsdale experience vs. the rate paid... the very fact that you are asking me if I knew about the renovations shows you don't read or follow this forum often. You even quoted my statement about the renovations, but I guess didn't bother to read it.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
I think my post is very clear in my opinion about the FS Scottsdale experience vs. the rate paid... the very fact that you are asking me if I knew about the renovations shows you don't read or follow this forum often. You even quoted my statement about the renovations, but I guess didn't bother to read it.
You used the word "renovations" but I asked if you knew their extent, two different issues.

Most people like it when a hotel re-does every single room.

You also have ducked my questions regarding the other hotels.

Whether or not I read every post on this forum is irrelevant; knowledge of this hotel is what is at issue. And if you've read anything I wrote on this forum, you can see I know a lot about this hotel.

I'll be going back to the Four Seasons Scottsdale next month. I like it very much.

I don't make any money from saying nice things about them or any other places in Scottsdale. Do you earn money from booking people into other Scottsdale hotels?
Old Apr 6, 2008, 4:28 pm
ABG

You used the word "renovations" but I asked if you knew their extent, two different issues.
Yes, my use of renovations was very much similar to your use of the term. They renovated and are now seeking higher rates.

I'll be going back to the Four Seasons Scottsdale next month. I like it very much.
Good for you... write a trip report.

I don't make any money from saying nice things about them or any other places in Scottsdale. Do you earn money from booking people into other Scottsdale hotels?
I do not accept new clients (unlike many on here).... regardless of what they want to book, so if you are implying something, it is way off base.

I simply do not share your opinion and perceived value.

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Apr 7, 2008 at 8:53 pm Reason: personal comment
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:03 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ABG
I simply do not share your opinion and perceived value.
Actually, I'd also like to hear what you think offers a similar experience to, and a better value than the FS in high season in the PHX area. For what it's worth, I agree with you that the FS Scottsdale is overpriced for what you get in high season, but I think that's true of ALL PHX area resorts (especially in the last few years). The only place I've found that is comparable to the FS in terms of size, ambience and service is the Sanctuary on Camelback - and I believe it is even more expensive than the FS in high season.

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Apr 7, 2008 at 8:52 pm Reason: personal comment.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:53 pm
In memoriam

Just as a point of general information - this is a fairly new Four Seasons. So almost all of the rooms are virtually identical except for the views - which can command very different prices. When we have been "upgraded" - it is usually from what is considered a "no view" room to a "view room". On my part - I don't think the views from the "view rooms" are all that impressive - and I kind of like the ground floor "no view" rooms where I can sit on the patio at dawn and dusk and feed the birds and other critters (I'm a sucker for that kind of thing). Unless you are paying maximum rate in a regular sized room - I would consider it unlikely that one would get upgraded to a larger room (and - since I've never been in one - I have no idea if they exist - or what they're like).

I do think that the hotel is kind of pricey in high season for what is essentially an off premises golf course resort kind of place (I live in a golf resort area in Florida - so I think I have a basis for comparison). OTOH - there are some fabulous values in off-season. On the third hand - August in Scottsdale is not for those who are timid about the heat - and it is monsoon season to boot that time of year. It's a whole lot worse than August in coastal Florida - dangerously hot at times - not at all ok for golf after about 11 am - so I guess you get what you pay for. On the fourth hand - I go there to visit family - do some shopping - visit the museums - and check out restaurants. So - having been there both in high season and low - and paying very different rates - I am ok with low season and the heat. Robyn
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: All of the above
We spent a week there and enjoyed the ambiance,view and quiet. Loved the golf course but was disappointed in the food.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robyng
I have no idea if they exist - or what they're like).
room sizes (rooms are 480ft2 or 500ft2, same published floorplan)
http://www.fourseasons.com/scottsdal...are_rooms.html

ah, this is why they dont upgrade to suites (#s)
http://www.fourseasons.com/scottsdal...s_summary.html
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by robyng
Just as a point of general information - this is a fairly new Four Seasons. So almost all of the rooms are virtually identical except for the views - which can command very different prices. When we have been "upgraded" - it is usually from what is considered a "no view" room to a "view room". On my part - I don't think the views from the "view rooms" are all that impressive - and I kind of like the ground floor "no view" rooms where I can sit on the patio at dawn and dusk and feed the birds and other critters (I'm a sucker for that kind of thing). Unless you are paying maximum rate in a regular sized room - I would consider it unlikely that one would get upgraded to a larger room (and - since I've never been in one - I have no idea if they exist - or what they're like).

I do think that the hotel is kind of pricey in high season for what is essentially an off premises golf course resort kind of place (I live in a golf resort area in Florida - so I think I have a basis for comparison). OTOH - there are some fabulous values in off-season. On the third hand - August in Scottsdale is not for those who are timid about the heat - and it is monsoon season to boot that time of year. It's a whole lot worse than August in coastal Florida - dangerously hot at times - not at all ok for golf after about 11 am - so I guess you get what you pay for. On the fourth hand - I go there to visit family - do some shopping - visit the museums - and check out restaurants. So - having been there both in high season and low - and paying very different rates - I am ok with low season and the heat. Robyn
The hotel opened around eight years ago.

I am not sure about the differences between the rooms. Based on the link posted by Kagehitokiri, I don't consider 20 sq. ft. significant but I have never stayed in the lower end rooms. The lowest end room I have stayed in was Premier. Otherwise it has been suites, up to and including the Pinnacle.

I suppose that the rooms could conceivably be furnished differently depending on level but who knows? I can tell you that the bathrooms in the suites are much bigger and the tubs are enormous.

I have found the service to be excellent. Virtually every staffer you encounter tries to do his or her best for you. I normally would expect this kind of service only from an establishment like The Dorchester.

I agree with your comments about late summer heat. We went there last Labor Day and it was indeed a scorcher. But we liked it anyway. I never thought I could be a "desert person."

By the way, I also like feeding the birds outside. Have you ever encountered any of the wildlife they warn you about like the javelina?

Last edited by Landing Gear; Apr 7, 2008 at 9:59 pm Reason: typo corrected
Old Apr 8, 2008, 3:54 pm
In memoriam

We've seen wildlife driving around at night around the hotel and where my brother used to live in Cave Creek - and some coyotes romping around the hills behind the hotel. Don't think I'd like to meet any of those animals up close and personal! Robyn
Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:57 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by flylinda
We spent a week there and enjoyed the ambiance,view and quiet. Loved the golf course but was disappointed in the food.
Curiously - we liked the food better when we were at the hotel last summer while the renovations were going on - and the casual and fancy restaurants were merged into one restaurant - than we had during previous stays. Not plain and mediocre - no attempts to do really fancy things which fell flat. For lack of a better phrase - southwestern bistro food at reasonable prices. Worked out fine. Robyn
Old Oct 21, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Thank you to everyone for the trip reports. Has anyone had a more recent experience. Specifically, how does this property compare to Camelback? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.