Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

No miles for newly opened UA credit card/20,000 bonus miles: possible policy change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No miles for newly opened UA credit card/20,000 bonus miles: possible policy change

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold, HH gold, UA Premier

I received my new UA Mileage Plus credit card a few weeks back and quickly got my first purchase in to receive my miles. I got a letter from Chase informing me that I had opened a UA mileage card before (I opened one Feb '07, received miles, and cancelled in November '07) and received mileage credit, therefore the 20K mileage offer for new customers couldn't be honored. I was denied my mileage; has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there anything I can do to get the miles posted?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by hannibal151
I received my new UA Mileage Plus credit card a few weeks back and quickly got my first purchase in to receive my miles. I got a letter from Chase informing me that I had opened a UA mileage card before (I opened one Feb '07, received miles, and cancelled in November '07) and received mileage credit, therefore the 20K mileage offer for new customers couldn't be honored. I was denied my mileage; has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there anything I can do to get the miles posted?

Thanks in advance
I don't think there is anything you can do to get the miles. I read somewhere (FT or View from the Wing) that Chase stopped churning.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:55 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Mileage Plus Visa: 20,000 bonus miles: possible policy change!

Hi all!

As has been discussed on this forum before, Mileage Plus Visa card members used to be able to apply for a card every 3 months and get the 20,000 bonus miles (RDMs). Then, a policy change occurred a year or two ago, when Chase decided to begin enforcing the "bonus for first-time cardmembers only clause." But repeat cardmembers were still able to claim the 5,000 bonus EQMs if they applied for a platinum card.

Last summer, I applied for another platinum MP visa because I wanted the 5K EQMs; I expected to receive those, but not the 20K RDMs, because I was a repeat cardmember.

I got the EQMs shortly thereafer, and a few months after I received the card, I got a letter from Chase saying that I had signed up for a credit card offer that included a "premium" for first-time cardmembers, but that because I was not a first-time cardmember, I was not eligible for the "premium." It did not say exactly what the "premium" was (RDMs or EQMs), but I assumed that it referred to the RDMs. Sure enough, I received no bonus RDMs, but I got to keep the EQMs. I did not follow up on the letter.

Then, a few months after that, I received another letter from Chase this week. The letter says:

Originally Posted by Cardmember Service
As your credit card company, we value your business. It's important to us that we identify and resolve issues affecting your account.

During a recent account review, we found that a letter was sent to you in error advising that you were not eligible for a reward offered on your new UNITED account. We apologize for the error, and we ask that you please disregard the information shared in the letter.

You applied for your UNITED account through an offer that provided multiple rewards, and we are writing to confirm that you are eligible to receive these awards as stated in the offer. . . .

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we regret any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. . . .
Upon reading this letter, I was surprised but cautiously optimistic. And sure enough, 20,000 new RDMs showed up in my Mileage Plus account today, as "choices" from Chase!

So, this seems to indicate either a policy change by Chase (back to the repeat-bonus-allowed policy), or possibly just a mistake they made on my account.

And I had never asked them about it--they just "discovered a mistake" in their internal review process, and "corrected" it by posting the 20,000 RDMs. So, it's possible that they actually made a mistake by "correcting" something that wasn't a mistake to begin with. But either way, I personally give Chase a big ^ today, and wanted to share the information on FT. Has anyone else gotten this letter? If other people have gotten it as well, then it would look like a deliberate policy change on Chase's part!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:32 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
See this post from today.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:33 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
See this post from today saying the opposite.

Strange things going on at Chase.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:47 am

Is the reason for this Chase change of heart, because yor promo did not prohibit multiple bonus 20,000 miles.Which specific promo and card?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:47 am

What a mix up.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
I received the same letter as the OP a week ago, and have 20,000 miles "back" in my account as a result. FWIW, the promo I signed up for DID say that the bonus RDMs could NOT be earned more than once, if I already had a different card - which I do, of course. Strange...
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:51 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Very odd. I'll be interested to hear others' experiences.

I hope I get a letter - I applied for a card just to get the 5K EQMs (which I did) last January, and did not get the RDMs. I would LOVE to have those RDMs though!!!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by u2vox
I received the same letter as the OP a week ago, and have 20,000 miles "back" in my account as a result. FWIW, the promo I signed up for DID say that the bonus RDMs could NOT be earned more than once, if I already had a different card - which I do, of course. Strange...
Same...the fine print in my promo (if I remember correctly) said 20K bonus for first-time cardmembers only. I used the promo link was floating around here on on FlyerTalk.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Could it be that this possible change in policy only applies for platinum cards that involve the hefty $140 annual fee? Has anyone gotten the bonus 20K points for other Chase cards?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:50 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Same...the fine print in my promo (if I remember correctly) said 20K bonus for first-time cardmembers only. I used the promo link was floating around here on on FlyerTalk.
When did you guys apply for the card?

(I'm trying to figure out how far back they're looking to see if maybe I'll get a letter).
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by g_leyser
When did you guys apply for the card?

(I'm trying to figure out how far back they're looking to see if maybe I'll get a letter).
Would have been last November for me. To answer another post above, both my cards are Plat Visas with the $140 fee (each reduced by $60 by calling and clarifying 1K status).
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:16 pm

Would have been last November for me. To answer another post above, both my cards are Plat Visas with the $140 fee (each reduced by $60 by calling and clarifying 1K status).
My card was a little earlier than November, I think.

And all of my cards are the $140 ones, with $60 waiver (except my really old cards with the grandfathered $140 waiver).
Old Feb 23, 2008, 6:38 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I recently signed up for a second chase card (a business one). No EQM's, but they did give me the 20,000 RDMs after the first purchase. Fee waived for the first year, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.