FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No miles for newly opened UA credit card/20,000 bonus miles: possible policy change
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:55 am
EsquireFlyer
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Mileage Plus Visa: 20,000 bonus miles: possible policy change!

Hi all!

As has been discussed on this forum before, Mileage Plus Visa card members used to be able to apply for a card every 3 months and get the 20,000 bonus miles (RDMs). Then, a policy change occurred a year or two ago, when Chase decided to begin enforcing the "bonus for first-time cardmembers only clause." But repeat cardmembers were still able to claim the 5,000 bonus EQMs if they applied for a platinum card.

Last summer, I applied for another platinum MP visa because I wanted the 5K EQMs; I expected to receive those, but not the 20K RDMs, because I was a repeat cardmember.

I got the EQMs shortly thereafer, and a few months after I received the card, I got a letter from Chase saying that I had signed up for a credit card offer that included a "premium" for first-time cardmembers, but that because I was not a first-time cardmember, I was not eligible for the "premium." It did not say exactly what the "premium" was (RDMs or EQMs), but I assumed that it referred to the RDMs. Sure enough, I received no bonus RDMs, but I got to keep the EQMs. I did not follow up on the letter.

Then, a few months after that, I received another letter from Chase this week. The letter says:

Originally Posted by Cardmember Service
As your credit card company, we value your business. It's important to us that we identify and resolve issues affecting your account.

During a recent account review, we found that a letter was sent to you in error advising that you were not eligible for a reward offered on your new UNITED account. We apologize for the error, and we ask that you please disregard the information shared in the letter.

You applied for your UNITED account through an offer that provided multiple rewards, and we are writing to confirm that you are eligible to receive these awards as stated in the offer. . . .

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we regret any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. . . .
Upon reading this letter, I was surprised but cautiously optimistic. And sure enough, 20,000 new RDMs showed up in my Mileage Plus account today, as "choices" from Chase!

So, this seems to indicate either a policy change by Chase (back to the repeat-bonus-allowed policy), or possibly just a mistake they made on my account.

And I had never asked them about it--they just "discovered a mistake" in their internal review process, and "corrected" it by posting the 20,000 RDMs. So, it's possible that they actually made a mistake by "correcting" something that wasn't a mistake to begin with. But either way, I personally give Chase a big ^ today, and wanted to share the information on FT. Has anyone else gotten this letter? If other people have gotten it as well, then it would look like a deliberate policy change on Chase's part!