Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

No miles for newly opened UA credit card/20,000 bonus miles: possible policy change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No miles for newly opened UA credit card/20,000 bonus miles: possible policy change

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by g_leyser
From the "Pricing & Terms" section of the link you provided:

If applicable, Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer or have received a similar bonus offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program, or for any bonus offer. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing.

I've read it three times, and I still have no idea what the heck it means. Anybody care to translate?
Let me give it a shot (it helps to replace "a Chase card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer" with "Chase Mileage Plus Visa"):

If you have or ever had a Chase card, and there is evidence that the only reason you applied for it was to earn the bonus miles, then you will not receive the bonus miles for opening another one. In fact, we (Chase) might not even let you open another card account. However, if we think you opened your previous/existing card and actually used it regularly, then we will (or might?) give you bonus miles for opening another one.

Certainly better than "if you earned the bonus once, you'll never earn it again." This might also explain some of the letters to customers saying, "oops, we screwed up, here are your bonus miles after all." Those might have come out right around the time the policy change took effect.

Does anyone who received such a letter care to comment on whether they used their previous/existing Chase MP cards regularly?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Yes, Chase only does it one time - they changed their policy and I don't know why, but they did - too bad.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1cericks
Couldn't that start to have a negative impact on your credit rating?
I check my credit rating frequently and it doesn't seem to have a negative impact.

I charge about $40,000 a month combined on all four cards for four separate businesses. I use one for about 6 months, hit the 35K spend for the 5K eqms and then reopen another.

It's totally worth it and the only way to hit 1k lite.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:54 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by Angeleno228
I got the 30,000 miles offer too, and scanned through the terms and conditions to see if returning customers don't qualify for the miles, couldn't find such language (which is good). I closed my card about 3 months ago, not sure if I would qualify for the miles now if I opened a new account. Reluctant to sign up again and be denied for the miles. Here's the link I got:

https://app.firstusa.com/ICBatch?SPI...ID=&PROMO=DF01
Do you have the web page that lists the bonus mile offers and the terms and conditions? Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:30 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by snic
Let me give it a shot (it helps to replace "a Chase card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer" with "Chase Mileage Plus Visa"):

If you have or ever had a Chase card, and there is evidence that the only reason you applied for it was to earn the bonus miles, then you will not receive the bonus miles for opening another one. In fact, we (Chase) might not even let you open another card account. However, if we think you opened your previous/existing card and actually used it regularly, then we will (or might?) give you bonus miles for opening another one.

Certainly better than "if you earned the bonus once, you'll never earn it again." This might also explain some of the letters to customers saying, "oops, we screwed up, here are your bonus miles after all." Those might have come out right around the time the policy change took effect.

Does anyone who received such a letter care to comment on whether they used their previous/existing Chase MP cards regularly?
Ok, that makes sense, and it is roughly what I was assuming.
Interesting that they have changed the language to the very definitive "first time card holders only", to this much more subjective statement.

Oh well, I do certainly miss the churn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.