Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Exclamation BA Cabin Crew Vote 96% In Favour Of Strike Action

According to Sky. That's quite a margin.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
According to Sky. That's quite a margin.
Let's hope that's convincing enough for management to back down or else we are in for a few wretched months as the GMB will surely follow suit now.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
When you get that kind of vote, then it is clear that something is seriously wrong and that this is not mere union posturing. It is increasingly clear that WW's cost-cutting hunt for the 10% holy grail is deeply angering workers as well as us loyal customers.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
What % of CC were balloted?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
R5 just reported there was 'cheers and applause' by BA staff at the union meeting when the result was announced. Didn't know going on strike was a reason for such merriment.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:46 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
I knew there were some very strong feelings, but for 96% to vote in favour of a strike shows something has gone very wrong at BA.

Hopefully, the negotiations will start ASAP.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:47 am

ughhhhh...does anybody know when this would start? I'm due to fly home on Saturday.

And this all goes back to those threads about BA management and the alienation of customers and employees:
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
What % of CC were balloted?
I just saw on sky that 80 percent responded to mail in ballots.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:50 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
The turnout was 80%.

http://www.tgwu.org.uk/Templates/Sys...p?NodeID=93043

Originally Posted by TGWU
An overwhelming vote by British Airways cabin crew to strike over management by imposition and the breakdown of respect and industrial relations was confirmed this morning by the Transport and General Workers Union.

Speaking at a meeting of the cabin crew, Jack Dromey, T&G deputy general secretary, said the strong vote, with over nine out of ten backing action, showed just how serious the situation has become.

"BA cabin crew have voted to say the airline has gone too far. BA must rebuild the trust of its cabin crew by negotiating rather than imposing change and by listening to its staff rather than riding roughshod over their concerns." he said.

"We will now meet with the BA managers and say we believe a new settlement is needed which recognises the strength of feeling of our members but also the strength of their concerns. This vote is nearly unanimous - the clarity of its message leaves no room for doubt - that is the best basis for reaching a good negotiated settlement in our discussions tomorrow with BA."

8,132 voted for strike action with only 330 against in a postal ballot which had a turnout of 80%. That means 96.1% voted to strike.

Hundreds of cabin crew attended a meeting with Mr. Dromey this morning at Heathrow to hear the result which was simultaneously flashed around the world by email, sms and internet.

The T&G negotiators, led by Mr. Dromey, will meet with senior BA managers tomorrow (16th January). The union said the cabin crew's concerns, which include issues over the implementation of sickness absence policies as well as pay grading and on board staffing and responsibility levels, had built up over the last two years but had failed to be addressed properly by the company's senior management.

The strike vote started in late December and concluded on Friday 12th January
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by irmster
R5 just reported there was 'cheers and applause' by BA staff at the union meeting when the result was announced. Didn't know going on strike was a reason for such merriment.
Indeed. I thought from posts on here that it was the last thing that Cabin Crew wanted to do? And that they felt so awful having to place this on their valued customers as a matter of last resort?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by terpfan101
ughhhhh...does anybody know when this would start? I'm due to fly home on Saturday.

And this all goes back to those threads about BA management and the alienation of customers and employees:
I think they have to give 7 days notice of stike action - but the action has to start within 4 weeks of the ballot result.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Grrrr....well i'm happy for the BA staff who have finally stood up to all the bigwigs at BA.

Though i'm now going to have to duplicate my TLV-LHR-TLV bookings for the next 4 weeks with ELAL just in case it's a free-4-all @ LHR.

Make it quick BA!!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by jonnye
Grrrr....well i'm happy for the BA staff who have finally stood up to all the bigwigs at BA.
yeah, sod the passengers.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Indeed. I thought from posts on here that it was the last thing that Cabin Crew wanted to do? And that they felt so awful having to place this on their valued customers as a matter of last resort?
Quite. Obviously we get the more reasonable ones on here who are in the minority in BA.

Any news on when the strike will start?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by irmster
I think they have to give 7 days notice of stike action - but the action has to start within 4 weeks of the ballot result.
thats what i thought. so guess it starts next monday. wonder if the CC have a fu** all attitude this week. lets hope not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.