Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Charity Poker Tournament at the Upcoming CO Event

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum

This year's event is going to be even better than last year and you're in for some great surprises on the tours...we can't divulge specifics, but each one has some great surprises in store! If you haven't signed up for the event yet, be sure to sign up soon...spaces are going quickly.

Cigarman has asked me to take the lead and organize a charity poker tournament for the upcoming event. Even if you have never played Texas Hold 'Em before, this is a great chance to learn and donate some money to a great cause.

We have decided to make this the tournament all for charity (TX laws are very strict) so all proceeds will go directly to the charity and are fully tax deductible.

Continental has been very gracious with sponsoring the event and picking up the tab for us, so now it's your chance as a FTer to give back.

Updated 1/25

Cash Bar
Cigar has arranged for a cash bar from 10 pm to 1 am and some salty snack food. Even if you are not playing, come by and socialize with your fellow FTers.

No Experience Necessary - if you've ever wanted to learn to play Texas Hold'Em, I'll be more than happy to have some tutoring sessions on Friday and Saturday during down time (I get in very early Thursday am, but won't get to the airport hotel till early Fri am).

The Charity
The charity this year will be the Josephite Fathers Hurricane Relief Fund. This is a charity that Cigar has worked closely with and they serve poor and underpriveleged people in of color (not sure if that's politically correct, but if not, please don't flame me). They currently face a $6 million deductible for hurricane damage and need all the help they can get. Depending on how this works out, we can have a different charity for our second annual tournament next year.

The Buy In
We don't want to handle to cash, so please bring a personal check with you...cash will not be accepted. We are asking for a minumum $20 donation for the initial buy in with an additional buy in for another $20 within the first hour. Feel free to donate a little more if you can...all donations are fully tax deductible and tax receipts will be mailed to the address on your check. I would suggest bringing two different checks, one for the initial buy in and one for the re-buy. Please make them payable to:

THE JOSEPHITE HURRICANE RELIEF FUND

We have a large room and lots of tables set up for this and will have an off-duty police officer there for security.

Please don't rsvp by replying to this message...simply e-mail me your rsvp. I'll send out a message to all people on the list the week prior to the event with any final details regarding timing, blinds, re-buy rules, etc.

We'll also have space for cash games once you're knocked out of the tournament.

Even if you have never played in a tournament before, this is a great chance to have some fun with your fellow FTers!

Confirmed List (I'll update this every day or two):

As of 1/27

1KSFO
Baglady
Mr. Baglady
Bigboofer
cerealmaker
cigarman
cobrax333
cova
Derrico
divrdrew
EastCoastWing
FTJet2K
getrandom
HobokenFlyer
J.Edward
jaylenofan86
KosraeTV
MBM3
mitchell
nologic98
Radonc1
Radonc1 guest
Russell745
Starwood Lurker
ssullivan
syzygies
theblakefish
Vulcan

The Tournament - Updated 1/25
Approximate start time will be 10 pm Saturday night at the Doubletree hotel. Please RSVP to [email protected] with your FT handle and name. If you're not sure, that's okay. You'll still be able to get into the room as long as you're on the guest list for the event (it has to be private by TX law).

The Process - Updated 1/25
At this point, we will have three tables running. We'll start with around $8500 in chips each (5x100, 6x500, 5x1000) and with $100/200 blinds. The blinds will go up every 15 minutes and when we hit 500/1000 blinds, well color up and have a race off for the rest of the chips. One person per table will be a designated dealer and we'll consolidate tables as the numbers decline. Rembember to bring your checks to the event as we won't accept cash...those of you from overseas can find someone to put you on their check and can pay that person (I'll be more than happy to do that for others).

I think that's about it from my end...cigarman...anything you'd care to add?

Last edited by divrdrew; Jan 27, 2006 at 3:08 pm
Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:55 pm

Not to sound greedy, but are there any prizes for the tourney? Maybe continental would be willing to donate a lifetime pass on any flight to the winner.

Last edited by pacman777; Jan 8, 2006 at 7:59 pm
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:22 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Originally Posted by pacman777
Not to sound greedy, but are there any prizes for the tourney? Maybe continental would be willing to donate a lifetime pass on any flight to the winner.
We wanted prizes. However, Texas law does not allow for it. So basically, it's bragging rights and first choice of the tour next year!
Drew is doing a great job. But I might add we will have a cash bar also and much fun! Plus I know a few of the CO guys are going to play.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:52 pm

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Actually Texas law does allow for prizes... what it does not allow for the organizers to make a profit from the event. No biggie either way

Scott
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Is there an attorney from TX that can confirm either way whether or not prizes are allowed?

Here's my feeling on the tournament. While prizes would be nice, that should not be the focus. Charity is the focus of this. Continental has been very gracious over the past year to the Flyertalk community by hosting these events. The tours this year are going to blow away what we had last year, as is the dinner event. And none of this costs any of us a penny (other than travel arrangements). Think of how much this weekend would cost on a per person basis just for the meals that CO is hosting for us. This tournament is a great way for us to give something back to a needy organization...plus, it's tax deductible!

Regarding the issue of checks, I have been asked by one person that is coming in from overseas about accepting cash. If you are coming in from overseas, there may be an issue with the charity being able to cash your check without incurring significant extra charges. Please PM me if this applies to you and we will work something out.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by divrdrew
If you are coming in from overseas, there may be an issue with the charity being able to cash your check without incurring significant extra charges. Please PM me if this applies to you and we will work something out.
If enough of us bring spare checks, won't this be a non-issue? Alternatively, $50 traveler checks kinda bridge the two worlds, no?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Syzygies
If enough of us bring spare checks, won't this be a non-issue? Alternatively, $50 traveler checks kinda bridge the two worlds, no?
I'm not sure about being able to take Traveler checks. I simply don't know if the charity will accept them and what conditions are placed on us to verify the identities, etc. I suspect that we won't be able to take traveler checks...simply too many issues to address.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:46 am

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
The Joesphites can easily cash forgein checks. They have a seminary in Nigeria. They have many overseas accounts.

IF we can legally give prizes. CO would be happy to donate a big pot o miles to give out! So If anyone can claryify...
Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by cigarman
The Joesphites can easily cash forgein checks. They have a seminary in Nigeria. They have many overseas accounts.

IF we can legally give prizes. CO would be happy to donate a big pot o miles to give out! So If anyone can claryify...
YES, you can legally give prizes (even money). The only rule about gambling/poker in TX is that the "house" or person/entity hosting the poker game/tournament does not profit or benefit financially (other than a Charity). I played in a charity poker tournament for ALS foundation (aka lou gherig's disease) in houston a year ago. It was publicly held at the convention center in the medical center. All prizes were donated by sponsors, with the grand prize being an entry to the world series of poker (or $10k). What's funny was that it was a re-buy tournament with the original entry fee being $250, and the FULL amount of the buy-in and all subsequent rebuys were tax-deductible (as per the Foundations' receipts). This was one of the best deals in terms of tournaments considering there were only about 200 entrants with a grand prize payout of $10k, and you get the tax write-off to boot! There was free booze and barbecue from the sponsors as well.

Sorry to digress, but thought I would give you a real life example. Any attorneys familiar with this? I highly doubt the law will bat an eye considering there are many successful "underground" poker rooms/clubs professionally run in/around houston.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:17 pm

YES, you can legally give prizes (even money). The only rule about gambling/poker in TX is that the "house" or person/entity hosting the poker game/tournament does not profit or benefit financially (other than a Charity). I played in a charity poker tournament for ALS foundation (aka lou gherig's disease) in houston a year ago. It was publicly held at the convention center in the medical center. All prizes were donated by sponsors, with the grand prize being an entry to the world series of poker (or $10k). What's funny was that it was a re-buy tournament with the original entry fee being $250, and the FULL amount of the buy-in and all subsequent rebuys were tax-deductible (as per the Foundations' receipts). This was one of the best deals in terms of tournaments considering there were only about 200 entrants with a grand prize payout of $10k, and you get the tax write-off to boot! There was free booze and barbecue from the sponsors as well.

Sorry to digress, but thought I would give you a real life example. Any attorneys familiar with this? I highly doubt the law will bat an eye considering there are many successful "underground" poker rooms/clubs professionally run in/around houston.
Wait we were told a charity event was shut down due to giving away a word series entry since it had value. There was a thread somewhere in this forum...
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:25 pm

I don't think this is the case any longer and I believe that this particular tournament may have caused the issuance of one Texas AG opinion. Although this site is to the TABC, it links to two recent AG opinions that address this area. It would appear from reading these that under the facts presented, prizes may not be offered. However, I am not making any representations as to that.

Last edited by ND Sol; Jan 12, 2006 at 4:28 pm
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Tournament Entries

So far, I have only 15 people confirmed for the tournament...not much of a tournament. Please be sure to e-mail me at [email protected] to RSVP no later than this coming Sunday. We need to be sure that we can confirm the number of people attending so we can configure the room appropriately.

Thanks

Drew
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
You might want to post those attending - so we know you received our RSVP.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
If someone ironed out the prizes vs no prizes thing I am sure it would have a big boost in your RSVP list. Some might find it hard to imagine spending several hours of poker just for bragging rights. Part of the game is the possibilty of winning something. Just a comment..
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:12 pm

Programs: co,skymiles hilton a.a usair
Originally Posted by Derrico
If someone ironed out the prizes vs no prizes thing I am sure it would have a big boost in your RSVP list. Some might find it hard to imagine spending several hours of poker just for bragging rights. Part of the game is the possibilty of winning something. Just a comment..
you rigth i will be more than happy to sign in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.