FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Charity Poker Tournament at the Upcoming CO Event
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:51 pm
divrdrew

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Charity Poker Tournament at the Upcoming CO Event

This year's event is going to be even better than last year and you're in for some great surprises on the tours...we can't divulge specifics, but each one has some great surprises in store! If you haven't signed up for the event yet, be sure to sign up soon...spaces are going quickly.

Cigarman has asked me to take the lead and organize a charity poker tournament for the upcoming event. Even if you have never played Texas Hold 'Em before, this is a great chance to learn and donate some money to a great cause.

We have decided to make this the tournament all for charity (TX laws are very strict) so all proceeds will go directly to the charity and are fully tax deductible.

Continental has been very gracious with sponsoring the event and picking up the tab for us, so now it's your chance as a FTer to give back.

Updated 1/25

Cash Bar
Cigar has arranged for a cash bar from 10 pm to 1 am and some salty snack food. Even if you are not playing, come by and socialize with your fellow FTers.

No Experience Necessary - if you've ever wanted to learn to play Texas Hold'Em, I'll be more than happy to have some tutoring sessions on Friday and Saturday during down time (I get in very early Thursday am, but won't get to the airport hotel till early Fri am).

The Charity
The charity this year will be the Josephite Fathers Hurricane Relief Fund. This is a charity that Cigar has worked closely with and they serve poor and underpriveleged people in of color (not sure if that's politically correct, but if not, please don't flame me). They currently face a $6 million deductible for hurricane damage and need all the help they can get. Depending on how this works out, we can have a different charity for our second annual tournament next year.

The Buy In
We don't want to handle to cash, so please bring a personal check with you...cash will not be accepted. We are asking for a minumum $20 donation for the initial buy in with an additional buy in for another $20 within the first hour. Feel free to donate a little more if you can...all donations are fully tax deductible and tax receipts will be mailed to the address on your check. I would suggest bringing two different checks, one for the initial buy in and one for the re-buy. Please make them payable to:

THE JOSEPHITE HURRICANE RELIEF FUND

We have a large room and lots of tables set up for this and will have an off-duty police officer there for security.

Please don't rsvp by replying to this message...simply e-mail me your rsvp. I'll send out a message to all people on the list the week prior to the event with any final details regarding timing, blinds, re-buy rules, etc.

We'll also have space for cash games once you're knocked out of the tournament.

Even if you have never played in a tournament before, this is a great chance to have some fun with your fellow FTers!

Confirmed List (I'll update this every day or two):

As of 1/27

1KSFO
Baglady
Mr. Baglady
Bigboofer
cerealmaker
cigarman
cobrax333
cova
Derrico
divrdrew
EastCoastWing
FTJet2K
getrandom
HobokenFlyer
J.Edward
jaylenofan86
KosraeTV
MBM3
mitchell
nologic98
Radonc1
Radonc1 guest
Russell745
Starwood Lurker
ssullivan
syzygies
theblakefish
Vulcan

The Tournament - Updated 1/25
Approximate start time will be 10 pm Saturday night at the Doubletree hotel. Please RSVP to [email protected] with your FT handle and name. If you're not sure, that's okay. You'll still be able to get into the room as long as you're on the guest list for the event (it has to be private by TX law).

The Process - Updated 1/25
At this point, we will have three tables running. We'll start with around $8500 in chips each (5x100, 6x500, 5x1000) and with $100/200 blinds. The blinds will go up every 15 minutes and when we hit 500/1000 blinds, well color up and have a race off for the rest of the chips. One person per table will be a designated dealer and we'll consolidate tables as the numbers decline. Rembember to bring your checks to the event as we won't accept cash...those of you from overseas can find someone to put you on their check and can pay that person (I'll be more than happy to do that for others).

I think that's about it from my end...cigarman...anything you'd care to add?

Last edited by divrdrew; Jan 27, 2006 at 3:08 pm