Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion & Platinum benefits: comprehensive listings by country

Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:59 am
Duc
Original Poster

Programs: lots of plastic cards from white ones to a couple of black ones...

I have read a number of very informative posts which discuss the travel and other benefits that come with the Platinum or Centurion cards. Some members have also discussed the idea of an Amex web site for each country where comprehensive information could be easily accessible (rather than receiving advertising led magazines which a lot of people seem to put in the trash, unless they use it as a coffee table piece, to impress their friends)

What I believe would be very useful to all members, is posts from countries where Platinum and Centurion Cards are issued, which would list their own countrys benefits, particularly, airline and railway lounges, restaurants where the Concierge Service has been successful in getting hard to get tables, bars and clubs where showing the card at the door can get someone in (happened to friends in London recently at the Sanderson).

We have read that the Centurion Concierge service has a constantly changing list of restaurants where they have booking arrangements (Home House and the Woleseley in London, were recently removed, but what about new ones?).

Do non-UK Platinum & Centurion cardholders know that they can get into the Eurostar lounges, regardless of their class of travel? Do they also know that if they fly with British Midland, they can access the BMI Business lounges in the UK?

Do Non-US cardholders know that if they travel on the Acela Express Amtrak rail service, they can access the Club Acela Lounge? (Try finding this out in the UK by calling the Amex travel service!)

Whether Amex want to keep information about lounge access and other special benefits to just the cardholders in their respective countries or whether they simply havent thought of consolidating the benefits information on a global basis I dont know but, it seems to me that it would benefit us all if we shared this info.

I know that a lot of the points I have made have already been addressed across numerous posts but I still cant find a central source of information which brings together all of the benefits on a country by country basis.

If you think this makes sense, I will post a new thread listing the UK benefits and those I am aware of in the USA.

Cheers!
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:19 am

Programs: some
Thumbs up

Great Idea!
Maybe we could create a sticky post that lists benefits per country. I'll be happy to contribute for the Swiss plat.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:38 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Great idea! I'll prepare something for the NZ Platinum card - it'll show you how bad (and expensive) the card is compared to other countries' counterparts.

(Yes, I've talked to Amex NZ about it.)

So, what do we want to list?

- Cost
- Number of free supp cards
- Lounge access
- Loyalty programme membership (e.g., airlines, rental cars)
- MR scheme
- Concierge restaurant list

We've to be mindful - some benefits are country specific, so it may not good for us to ask for something (e.g., access to a lounge) when you don't hold the appropriate card (issued by the right country). This list will be good to compare what the different benefits are though.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:05 am

Happy to list the Singapore benefits (or lack thereof)
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:18 am
Duc
Original Poster

Programs: lots of plastic cards from white ones to a couple of black ones...
UK benefits

Ok Guys, here goes for the UK:

Please note that I am not 100% certain of all the facts so feel free to correct or add any additional info. Remember that the main point of my post is for all cardholders to know what benefits they could expect (negotiate?) with Amex in their own country and to provide a database of lounges which can be used around the globe (which are not advertised in their own country)

Centurion Card in the UK:

- Cost:
650 per annum (this was the rate as of 2003. It may have been different when the card was introduced in the UK and it might be more expensive now. Does anyone out there verify this?)

- Number of free supp cards:
1. An additional Black card for the main cardholder, to separate personal and business expenditure.

2. An additional Black card (or Plat, Gold or Green) for a secondary cardholder.

3. Additional Plat, Gold or Green cards for up to three other cardholders.
That would make up a possible total of two black card holders and three plat card holders on one account.

- Lounge access (when travelling economy or comp tickets)
1. Access for Black cardholders to Virgin Atlantic Lounges, BMI Lounges (Bus. Class lounge not Diamond lounge), when travelling on their flights (Virgin no longer accepts the Plat card for access to their lounges)

2. Access to the Eurostar Lounges in London, Paris, and Brussels

3. Two Priority pass cards for the Main and one additional card holder with no charge for personal visits to their lounges (very useful when travelling on economy) Each has to be applied for and it is renewed automatically each year

Have I forgotten any other lounges under the UK program?

- Loyalty programme membership (e.g., airlines, rental cars, hotels)1. Complimentary membership of Hertz No 1 Club.

2. Complimentary Starwood Platinum Preferred Guest card.

3. Complimentary Hilton Gold honnors Card.

4. Two nights for the price of one in each mandarin Oriental property (one time per property per year), with a modest upgrade at time of booking, if available.

4. No enhanced airline membership program.

There are four other hotel groups who I think offer late check outs, amenities but I cant remember them all and they dons seem to compare with the above ones.

(This is a particularly valuable set of benefits for frequent travellers, I have been upgraded with hotels and car hires about 80% of the time)

- MR scheme
Included in the annual fee

Expenditure on all cards is credited to a central MR account

This is a hard one as each time I have called them they seemed to run off a different list of names. A previous post has mentioned that the Wolesely is now off the list as I discovered in August, and so is Home House which was a nice place to take clients. Although I still believe that the card gives me very good value (as I travel for 10 days abroad each month and three members of my family benefit from the travel insurance) I have stopped using the concierge service for booking restaurants in London.

I am very curious, however, to kfind out about other cities, particularly NY restaurants.

Does someone out there have an up to date list for the UK?

Insurance:
Travel insurance cover for all card holders
There are a load of benefits with the Amex travel insurance scheme but a key one is that providing you have paid for a scheduled flight with you card you can claim up to 750 for replacement items if your luggage is delayed during your outward journey and you get several hundred pounds of cover if your flight is delayed more than four hours or you are bumped off (not sure how much exactly but a future poster might be more thorough and set out the precise benefits of the insurance program).

I have checked with other travel insurance schemes but they do not seem to offer such high levels of compensation. (for reference with a UK bank an equivalent annual premium, with only 100 compensation for delayed baggage of flight, would be 490)

Cheers!
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:01 pm

A Good Benefit for UK Members is that you ( And Sup card holders) Get a free BA Amex Card ( Top level) Value 120 a year.

A Note on the Overseas restaurant booking . I used UK Cent to book up some New York restaurants, and they could not have been more helpfull.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 3:42 pm

Programs: Various
Hi Duc,

Thats an awesome start - let me try help out quickly as I am a bit busy at the moment, I can provide some more detail later. Otheriwse if you search you should find some comprehensive posts where I have broken down the benefits.

Thanks,
Richard

Cost
Yes its 650/year, when it was first launched in March 1999, it was free for the first year for the initial (Charter Members), and then it was 550 the year after. Now its the 650 you quoted.

Supplementary Cards

Main account holder is called the 'Basic' member and they can have two Black Centurion cards, the idea is that you can split personal and business spending. By default the second card will have the same printed name as the first card except it will say A.C. after it (Additional Card). You can have this changed if you so wish.

Then you can have an additional Black (or Platinum, Gold or green) card for your 'Primary' supplementary card holder.

And finally upto another 4 'additional' supplementary cards in your choice of Platinum, Gold or Green. Most people will go for Platinum and hand them out to family members and then they can get use of most of the Centurion benefits.

In total, this means up to 6 individuals can have cards on one UK Centurion account.

Lounge Access
- The basic and primary supplementary card holders (those carrying black plastic) can utilise the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses when flying on a VS flight - it is just them, there are no guests. It does not give you access to Revivals at LHR, nor does it give you Upper Class/Premium Economy check-in privileges; I say this as I have seen some people at LHR try it on.

- The basic or any supplementary card holder (this is where its a good idea to give your additional supplementaries Platinum coloured plastic, as otherwise it takes some time to explain its part of a Centurion account) can access the BMI Business Class lounge (Not the diamond lounge as you pointed out). You must be flying on a BD flight. No guests.

- The basic or any supplementary card holder can access the Eurostar lounges. No guests.

- Two 'Prestige' level (http://www.prioritypass.com/Join/What-it-costs.cfm) Priority pass for use by two nominated individuals with supplementary cards on the Centurion account. There are over 450 lounges across the globe that take Priority Pass, each with its own opening hours and guest restrictions. Guests are charged at 15 each, unless admitted as part as a family group via some of the lounges.

- I have found that I have been able to access the lounges that US members have access too: https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...clubaccess.jsp

Hotels

I would just reword the statement about Mandarin Oriental benefit, its one free night per property per year in conjunction with one qualifying night rate.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 7:00 pm

Programs: amex, hilton, qantas
Platinum Card benefits in Australia

Hi All,

Here are some Australian Platinum benefits known to me.

1.) Admission is by invitation only as per information on Australian Platinum Amex page.

2.) You pay whopping AUD $900.00 and this entitles you to additional platinum card to delineate your business and personal expenses. Also, you can apply for up to 4 supplementary platinum cards that are free of charge.

3.) From what I read on this forum, in Australia you get access to level of service superrior to that in US and UK (not sure about other countries). You do not get transferred to India. You get prompt service by Aussies. They take reverse change calls outside Australia.

4.) Unfortunately, you do not get access to Priority Pass Card (black card that gets you access to partcipating lounges worldwide). These cards are available in other markets.

5.) Roadside and Home assistance.

6.) Complimentary membership - Hertz #1 Gold

7.) Complimentary membership in MR Ascent (every dollar you spend is worth 1.5 MR points).

8.) Fine dining program - selection of fine restaurants to be booked through Platinum Concierge.

9.) Airline program (business and first class companion ticket free). Cruise priviledges (up to US$350 of credit on board, cocktails or dinner with the Captain, complimentary vintage champagne).

10.) A few more travel benefits with selected parter establishments (small luxury hotels, fine hotels and resorts, sensation stays).

11.) Comission free traveller cheques.

12.) Travel Insurance (effective 1. Aug 2004.)

Comprehensive Travel Insurance:

Overseas Medical Emergency & Repatriation: up to $5m
Resumption of Journey - extra expenses to resume original travel due to death or serious illness of close relative: $5,000
Hospital Cash - incidental expenses if hospitalized as an in-patient outside Australia: $75 per 24 hours; up to $5,000
Trip Cancellation & Curtailment - loss of irrecoverable deposits and payments due to unavoidable inability to travel: up to $30,000
Loss of Income - due to illness or injury preventing work: $3,000 per month, up to $12,000
Personal Baggage - up to $30,000 overall and single item limit /photographic equipment/ laptop up to $5,000
Hijacking & Detention: $2,000 per 24 hours, up to $28,000
Accidental Death resulting from hijacking: $400,000
Kidnap: $2,000 per 24 hours, up to $28,000
Card Account Balance following accidental death: 100% outstanding charges on Platinum Card
Legal Liability: up to $3m

Travel Inconvenience Cover

Travel Delay - delayed flight departure 4 hours or more, flight cancellation, or denied boarding: increased to $700 for meals and hotel
Missed Connection - missed onward flight due to late arrival of incoming flight: increased to $700 for meals and hotel

13.) Buyer Advantage

Buyer's Advantage* enables you to double the manufacturer's warranty for up to 12 months on most electrical products purchased in Australia for personal, non-commercial use, that carry a manufacturer's original warranty of five years or less.

14.) Flexible Payment Option

The Flexible Payment Option gives you the option to pay over time for larger purchases.

15.) Platinum Reserve Line of Credit

Access a line of credit of at least $5,000.

I would be pleased to hear if there are any other benefits not listed above

Last edited by aussieplat; Oct 6, 2004 at 7:07 pm Reason: Priority pass
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:59 am

Programs: some
Swiss Platinum

Here what I know about the Benefits of the Swiss Plat

Please correct me if there is any mistake :-)

- Cost:
CHF 650 per annumm which is more or less 300 Euro. When you apply for the card you need to proof an income of at least 120K CHF (80k Euro)

1. An additional Plat Card for a secondary cardholder.

3. Additional Gold or Green cards for up to three other cardholders.

- Lounge access (when travelling economy or comp tickets)

One Priority pass card for the Main card holder with no charge for personal visits to their lounges. Each has to be applied for and it is renewed automatically each year. You can teke guests for a fee (25 Euro?)

- Loyalty programme membership (e.g., airlines, rental cars, hotels)

Not much to talk about - Complimentary Hilton Gold honnors Card for the first year.

Then there are the usual Hotal Programs, like FHR, preferred Rates and upgrades with Small Luxury Hotels and occasional specials announced on the Swiss webpage and the monthley statement.

Another benefit is the Airline Partner program (never used it so far) and the cruise program (probably will never use it)

- MR scheme
Included in the annual fee

Expenditure on all cards is credited to a central MR account

All I know is the information listed on Amex US Webpage, which lists restaurants that participate in the fine Dining program. For Switzerland this are not realy the places you wan't to go, unless you are an tourist :-)

- Customer Service

So far great: no waiting, nice and helpfull people. The Travel Department seems weak, I tried them two times so far, but they never where able to offer me a rate better as my short internet searches produced.

Please tell me if I made a mistake or forgot something. I would be very interrested to learn about the benefits of the Swiss Centurion...
Old Oct 7, 2004, 2:25 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Duc
Ok Guys, here goes for the UK:

This is a hard one as each time I have called them they seemed to run off a different list of names. A previous post has mentioned that the Wolesely is now off the list as I discovered in August, and so is Home House which was a nice place to take clients. Although I still believe that the card gives me very good value (as I travel for 10 days abroad each month and three members of my family benefit from the travel insurance) I have stopped using the concierge service for booking restaurants in London.

I am very curious, however, to kfind out about other cities, particularly NY restaurants.

Does someone out there have an up to date list for the UK?
Just call the lifestyle team and they will email you the current list which shows all restaurants / bars / clubs for both the UK and Europe.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 2:55 am

Programs: CENTURION, SPG-Gold, HH-Diamond, ANA-SFC, JAL-JGC, MX-Diamond, LHW Access, CLUB 5C, IHG Platinum
JPN Centurion benefits

Hi all,

Here are Japanese Centurion benefits.

Cost
168,000YEN. JPN Cent is invitation only.

Number of free supp cards

It's same as UK.
1 Additional Centurion Card(AC).
1 Supplementary Centurion for basic member's spouse only.
4 more cards in Green,Gold or Platinum.

Lounge access

We can access to AA Admirals Club.But Narita International Airport only.
Two Priority Pass.(Basic and supplementary Cent card holder) It's prestige level.

Loyalty programme membership (e.g., airlines, rental cars)

Herz #1 Club Gold.
Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum Card.
Hilton HHonors Gold VIP Card.
Hyatt Goldpassport Diamond Card
Mandarin Oriental one free night beneftis.

etc

Birthday present for Centurion basic members only.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 3:04 am

Programs: Amex Plat, IC Plat, Priority Pass
Swedish Platinum

Swedish Platinum

- Cost:
SEK 4,200 per year.

1. An additional Platinum card for the main cardholder.

2. An additional Platinum card for spouse or live-in partner.

3. Additional Gold cards for up to four other family members over 16.

- Lounge access:
Complimentary Prestige Priority Pass membership for the main cardholder. Must be applied for and is automatically renewed each year. Guest Visit Fee: USD 27

- Loyalty programme membership (e.g., airlines, rental cars, hotels):
Complimentary membership of Hertz #1 Club Gold.

No other programs, apart from Fine Hotels & Resorts and Cruise Privileges

- MR scheme:
Included in the annual fee.

Expenditure on all cards credited to central MR account.

- Fine dining restaurants:
All countries listed here, including Sweden.

- Nightclub priority:
Skip the line for six people, and no entrance fee for two people at selected nightclubs. Must be reserved in advance.

- Insurance:
Travel Accident coverage: up to SEK 2,000,000.
Travel Delay over 4 hours: up to SEK 3,000 for food & lodging expenses.
Baggage Delay over 6 hours: up to SEK 4,000 to replace necessities. Additional SEK 5,000 after 48 hours.
Etc.

- Platinum Card Assistance:
MedicalAssistance
MotorAssistance

Last edited by Bandini; Oct 8, 2004 at 6:06 am
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:09 am

Singapore Platinum

- Cost:
SGD 1200 per year (approx USD712, GBP500)

1. An additional Platinum card for the main cardholder.
2. 2 additional Platinum cards for spouse/family members over 21 (or 18 for students studying abroad)

- Lounge access:
Complimentary access to Plaza Premium Lounge at SIN, KUL, SYD
Selected NW lounges

- Loyalty programme membership (e.g., airlines, rental cars, hotels):
Complimentary membership of Hertz #1 Club Gold.
No other programs, apart from Fine Hotels & Resorts and Cruise Privileges, The Platinum Hotel Program

- MR scheme:
Included in the annual fee.
Expenditure on all cards credited to central MR account.
Double points for life
10 times points at Platinum Bonus Partners

- Fine Dining Programme
limited number (10 restaurants) in Singapore only

- Membership to St James' Club

- Platinum Golf Club Access
1 Singapore golf course
5 Malaysia golf courses

- Insurance:
Centurion Travel Insurance
Return Guarantee
Purchase Protection
Extended Warranty

- Platinum Card Assistance
Calls answered by locals - no offshore call centres
24x7
call collect/reverse charge if out of country

Last edited by epigram; Oct 12, 2004 at 6:19 am Reason: To reflect new privileges announced in Oct 04
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:03 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Just thinking of getting the UK Platinum card. Cost 275. Was thinking of getting an additional card for the wife. Will she get the benefit of Priority Pass, Gold Hhonours & Gold SPG? If not what benefits would she get?

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by obs
Will she get the benefit of Priority Pass, Gold Hhonours & Gold SPG? If not what benefits would she get?
She won't get any of those benefits. If you want the Priority Pass for her, I believe you can pay to get it - it's a discount on full-price if I remember correctly.

The benefits she'd get are those associated with having a Platinum coloured American Express charge card - for example, the DL, CO etc. lounge access.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.