Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Premium Cabin Cost Cutting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Delta Premium Cabin Cost Cutting

Hello! Reporting from First Class on Delta 65 ATL-LAX. Dinner tonight there was no appetizer (just small salad ) not sure if there usually is one but the meal was mediocre. Definitely not an improvement over UA or AA.

The dinner itself self wasn't bad, just nothing special but was was surprising was Deltas dessert on a 5 hour flight. It was a Mini Milky Way bar. Flight was still a bargain $600 one way for a flat bed seat but this is sad and pathetic. I asked the flight attendant if they forgot to cater dessert. He confirmed "Seperate dessert or ice cream is only on Delta One transcons"' I asked another flight attendant and she confirmed there is no dessert anymore on this flight. Not sure if they are right or wrong. But be warned. Small cost cut but who knows what else is to come. Prettier glassware in April but less food??
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sounds like catering issue. There's normally some type of desert along with dinner. It can be a slice of cake or a small single serving size cup of ice cream or a Dancing dear cookie. (Separately served ice cream sundaes are only on D1) As for appetizer I don't think those come on non D1/transcon services.

Meal just two or so weeks ago on this route was salad, bread, meal/veggies, and a cup of (honey vanilla?) Ice cream. All served on one tray.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Hmmmm I hope flyerCO is right but still. This is not competitive with AA/UA on "almost" transcons
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aero0729
Hmmmm I hope flyerCO is right but still. This is not competitive with AA/UA on "almost" transcons
AA serves awful meals. You might get an app., but that doesn't mean that DL isn't better. Read the AA threads or those in others comparing food. Basically the only plus is on AA you can pre-select which awful meal you wish to have. Also most flights just get a re-warmed cookie for desert.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Yeah AA is pretty bad but tonight's meal was nothing better. Delta still wins in the long run
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:27 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I'd be pretty upset if I was served a candy bar on an airline, especially in any kind of premium cabin. I've never had an experience like this on Delta, so I'm also hoping flyerCO is right that it's just a fluke catering issue.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I actually find AA's meals decent, certainly more creative. Also like their mixed nuts and warm cookies. Now AA's wine and coffee are really bad, but at least there are other options.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I actually find AA's meals decent, certainly more creative. Also like their mixed nuts and warm cookies. Now AA's wine and coffee are really bad, but at least there are other options.
Wine is where I think AA actually does better. DL only thinks people like Chardonnay (blech!), but AA at least on transcons manages to board 2 white options. DL One still only has one white option on transcons and it's always Chardonnay.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Mar 26, 2017 at 6:54 am
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:27 am

Last flew flew JFK-LAS and was pretty disappointed in the meal choices. Small salad with not much in there besides lettuce. Entree was a VERY overcooked steak, served with broccoli rabe (which i enjoy but i know many find to be bitter) and some extremely garlicky mashed potatoes. Bread served 10 minutes after i got my meal and the dessert was some pretty solid ice cream. Other option was some pasta and I was specifically asked NOT TO order it if i eat beef.

I know it's not D1, but this was probably the worst meal i've had on Delta in a while. Breakfast on the return wasnt bad but after 5 nights in Vegas I really just wanted to sleep.

D1 meals continue to be solid though.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by aero0729
Yeah AA is pretty bad but tonight's meal was nothing better. Delta still wins in the long run
So....there was a catering error (which happens to all airlines, AA included), but DL wins in the long run. In other words, this is a thread about nothing but the lack of a bad Dancing Deer cookie.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
So....there was a catering error (which happens to all airlines, AA included), but DL wins in the long run. In other words, this is a thread about nothing but the lack of a bad Dancing Deer cookie.
I used to get a really nice plate on the side with fruits, cheese and a really nice piece of cake.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:07 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by C W
I'd be pretty upset if I was served a candy bar on an airline, especially in any kind of premium cabin.
"pretty upset"

lol

Yeah, that dancing deer cookie is so much better.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
definitely a catering issue here
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Unfortunately, these "catering issues" have become more and more common as of late. Did you happen to notice which company catered your flight?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by WWads
Unfortunately, these "catering issues" have become more and more common as of late. Did you happen to notice which company catered your flight?
Yup.....catering issues yesterday at LGA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.