Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Novotel London Canary Wharf : super top stay and a big rejuvenation to the Novotel br

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novotel London Canary Wharf : super top stay and a big rejuvenation to the Novotel br

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
That indeed seems like a hotel to avoid. That paint alone is not excusable. And I have checked rates there a few times and it is always quite expensive. Definitely one of the most expensive novotels I have ever seen.
This certainly not an hotel to avoid. I stayed again recently and had another good stay (even if not 100% perfect this time, but nothing major). I will do my best to post my review soon if I manage to find some time to do it. Of course, the issues wkndtraveler faced are not acceptable, especially when he should have been under extra scrutiny and care after a first disappointing stay. I have now stayed there 5 or 6 times and only had good experiences. I will return in September. Add the view and the restaurant and it makes a quite unique Novotel. And do not forget, when we review amenities or services like the lounge that it is a Novotel and not a Pullman or a Sofitel (despite it is way better than some Pullman). This being said, the lounge closing is a very bad news . Like wkndtraveler, I am not surprised because they do not advertise it at all. But this is a very stupid decision as it costs them virtually nothing if there are few people showing up. Indeed, its not in a separate room that could be used for other services, they dont prepare fancy canaps and basically if there is no one in view, they just put the wine bottles back to storage until the day after and thats it.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:10 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
I've now talked to a general manager. She said the lounge won't be closing and the information I've been given by a guest experience manager isn't entirely correct. They will introduce a new executive package which will include complimentary mini bar "as many of our executive guests have advised that they would prefer this so they can have drinks and snacks in their room."

While the complimentary mini bar is nice to have its hard to believe that anyone or at least majority would prefer to have crisps and beer in the room if one could choose to enjoy upgraded drinks and canaps in the cosy lounge with a colleague, family members, the special one or even alone. Of course it becomes handy in case there is no time to visit the lounge. Since I don't travel much for work but mainly for pleasure and leisure, plus pay my stays from own pocket I surely appreciate all extra benefits such as the lounge.
gilbertaue and Goldorak like this.

Last edited by wkndtraveler; Jul 13, 2018 at 4:19 am
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:17 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I worry that this is a complete misinformed trend of understanding customers need by a Manager who has little experience in the best way to structure it.
​​​​​​
A flagship Novotel such as this, with a lounge, and business travellers, could do very well with having an ex Asia based GM of a Pullman run it.

It's no use to tiptoe around a product benefit if there is a lack of understanding of it in the market (Europe) and having someone/or some people make decisions of it who may possibly be inexperienced in the actual needs and experiences of World travelling guests.
starflyergold and Goldorak like this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:56 am

I can actually believe that a lot of people would prefer the comp minibar compared to a lounge. No time restrictions for a start plus not everyone wants to sit in a lounge on their own. If travelling alone and given the option I’d probably opt for the minibar.

Re the new GM - is it Jacqui McMillan? She was at Blackfriars when I was there in December. She was part of the opening team at Novotel Glasgow and is a very experienced Novotel GM.

Last edited by chrism20; Jul 13, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I worry that this is a complete misinformed trend of understanding customers need by a Manager who has little experience in the best way to structure it.
​​​​​​
A flagship Novotel such as this, with a lounge, and business travellers, could do very well with having an ex Asia based GM of a Pullman run it.

It's no use to tiptoe around a product benefit if there is a lack of understanding of it in the market (Europe) and having someone/or some people make decisions of it who may possibly be inexperienced in the actual needs and experiences of World travelling guests.
I could not agree more with you my friend !
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
The second floor lounge could be converted into a nice more relaxed lounge bar. Bokan is often packed and not that relaxing for just a drink.

The check in experience still looks awkwards. Staff trying to stab away at tablets, wondering where the PDQ machine has been put and no proper queue system.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:51 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by chistery
The second floor lounge could be converted into a nice more relaxed lounge bar. Bokan is often packed and not that relaxing for just a drink.

The check in experience still looks awkwards. Staff trying to stab away at tablets, wondering where the PDQ machine has been put and no proper queue system.
I agree with you about the front desk. Every time I passed it, went to ask something or reported issues there were a long queue. There were clearly too few workers for the amount of customers yet too many for that tiny table they are using. There is no privacy at all to take care of things since you are standing very close to a next guest and also a separate concierge desk is missing. So, if you want a map or ask a restaurant recommendation, for example, you need to queue and talk to a front desk agent. And the queue behind is just growing. Annoying.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Another good stay (the 5th) at Novotel London Canary Wharf

Novotel London Canary Wharf

Map| 9 Reviews | 78% Recommended

40 Marsh Wall London, GB E14 9TP

Another good stay (the 5th) at Novotel London Canary Wharf (18 Photos)

I stayed again there recently, but this time it was a personal stay (all other previous stays were for work). The Canary wharf location was definitely not a problem as it was convenient to reach via metro or taking the boat on the Thames (very pleasant way to go around). Overall it was another good stay, although not 100% perfect but nothing major. Hotel was running at 100% occupancy and was definitely very busy, also at restaurant and bar.

Check In

I had booked a Superior room (entry level) at a decent price during a special sale, with BF included. I had no prior arrival communication with the hotel. I was upgraded( spontaneously) at check-in to Deluxe and the drink voucher was given. They also told me they ensured I have the best possible view with my room, which was true. Late check-out at 4 pm was granted without discussion.

Room

Room was not huge, but of decent size. It was a corner room with the stunning downtown London view on one side and CW view on the other side. As a satellite note: I am always astonished by the number of constructions on-going in CW. I wonder if this will all be successful in term of sales and renting with the Brexit. Also there is a big empty field at the foot of the Novotel on the London view side and it seems that there is preparation for construction there. If confirmed, the Novotel could lose a big part of the splendid view one can enjoy now. Bathrobes and slippers are provided.

ADF1F765-34FB-45DA-B667-B10340B77655.jpe8967567C-32A9-4A5A-81DC-589A37F5E059.jpe3599E3E5-D91A-4474-A0FA-D5323CD34805.jpe35FF9BCA-84EC-4558-93C9-1A91FDD90472.jpeF4C25A8D-DD44-423A-8EB4-DCFE1C7F4955.jpe36C77785-8D19-4DB0-B19F-6FDC222332A2.jpe29B80C91-4C08-43C4-B899-8CF280C07096.jpe38D493B2-70B3-4213-BFB7-A7E270EBDE54.jpe41D5D7DE-D035-4F39-8842-49FBAC15118B.jpe504EBB2D-CC4A-433D-8E0A-4E4A2F850135.jpeED19C87C-4D31-4386-96C8-9080BB732794.jpeACE235A9-4085-4ECC-9B9C-5C7BA9956EEB.jpeD58BE987-5A7D-4D8D-A26B-EE93129B409B.jpe34130F63-246C-4252-9B28-B888D966D36D.jpe

As already pointed by wkndtraveler, plenty of water (still & sparkling) available but minimal welcome gift.

I said above in introduction that the stay was not 100% perfect. Coming back around 5pm from a full walking (and boating ;) ) day in London, the room has still not been serviced :( . This was promptly addressed after calling the front desk, but still unpleasant. I don’t know if this was because they just forgot my room or if they didn’t have enough staff with a full hotel.

Dining

Breakfast was good with a large choice of cold and warm items. I can only regret that they serve American-style bacon instead of the English one (shame as we are in London). The restaurant was of course very busy but it was not a zoo. Buffet was refilled regularly.

The Bokkan restaurant is so good and the view so incredible that we decided to have dinner there the 2 evenings. I think the chefs are French and at least half of the servers are French, so it was nice to chat with them. Their degustation menu is a killing and at a very decent price. The restaurant was always full but it was never a problem to get a table booking the same day. Reservation is highly advisable. Beautiful sunset from the restaurant:

5AE129C6-4130-4E24-8179-53737891DAE7.jpeF672807D-E1B3-467B-A9DE-82F91EEB94AC.jpeAB2E4054-6442-4FC9-959A-7B0B7EE8661A.jpe83EE99F9-AF7B-40ED-937F-C81F3A87694F.jpe

Regarding the lounge, there were about 10 people. As reported before, apart the soft drinks, you have Prosecco and one red, one white and one rosé wine + a few canapés. Definitely not like in a “regular club lounge” but this is a Novotel and it is definitely better than nothing. I was happy to read the updated news of wkndtraveler saying the lounge will not close anytime soon. 

Overall

Overall another very good stay (apart the housekeeping issue) with very good Platinum recognition and treatment. This is definitely my Accor hotel of choice in London. My next (work) booking is for September :)

Another good stay (the 5th) at Novotel London Canary Wharf

Would you like to write a review on the Novotel London Canary Wharf?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
deleted

Last edited by 1flyer; Dec 11, 2018 at 1:21 am
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

I stayed one night last week. Nothing new to report (upgrade OK, restaurant still excellent, etc) but :
- very long check-in. One guest seemed to have a cumulation of problems and she was obviously very unhappy of her stay and at the 2nd counter, some people were paying several rooms in cash and were bringing enveloppes full of cash to the counter and were counting tons of banknotes on the counter (re-counted by the hotel agent). Overrealistic, really...Staff looked under big stress, running around doing 1000 things at the same time. Not a feel welcome impression
- I encountered again (for the 2nd time) an housekeeping issue with a dirty towel (stained with I don't want to know what). Last time it was the room not done one day and, when done, not well and now this.

At check-out, the agent was very apologetic of course and said it was unacceptable. She asked me to send her the picture for further action. But that's all and I didn't even receive a further communication from them afterwards.
This hotel which was at 0 fault with me is now moving to my "under surveillance" list after those housekeeping problems. It seems that the new management is not as good as the original one when the hotel opened.
starflyergold and tris06 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:50 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I stayed one night last week. Nothing new to report (upgrade OK, restaurant still excellent, etc) but :
- very long check-in. One guest seemed to have a cumulation of problems and she was obviously very unhappy of her stay and at the 2nd counter, some people were paying several rooms in cash and were bringing enveloppes full of cash to the counter and were counting tons of banknotes on the counter (re-counted by the hotel agent). Overrealistic, really...Staff looked under big stress, running around doing 1000 things at the same time. Not a feel welcome impression
- I encountered again (for the 2nd time) an housekeeping issue with a dirty towel (stained with I don't want to know what). Last time it was the room not done one day and, when done, not well and now this.

At check-out, the agent was very apologetic of course and said it was unacceptable. She asked me to send her the picture for further action. But that's all and I didn't even receive a further communication from them afterwards.
This hotel which was at 0 fault with me is now moving to my "under surveillance" list after those housekeeping problems. It seems that the new management is not as good as the original one when the hotel opened.
It does not take more than 2 seconds to check a towel after it is washed and dried if stains did not come out. If more action was made to recover the situation like offering complimentry drinks on the top floor you might feel they will be serious with dealing with the situation as it was an economic loss for them by compensating you. Still we would try this hotel again unless Sofitel was not that much more exspensive (Now no lounge, Did they give you free mini bar?)

Last edited by tris06; Oct 6, 2018 at 9:57 am
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by tris06
It does not take more than 2 seconds to check a towel after it is washed and dried if stains did not come out.
Exactly, when they fold them it's easy to detect stains like those.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:00 pm

My third time in one year in this hotel was a dissapointing one. I booked an executive suite as a treat for my girlfriend.
At check in i told the receptionist it was our third visit. She then looked to my girlfriend and asked if she was with me the previous visits .......she got a angry replyfrom my girlfriend.
The reservation confirmation e-mail invited us to come to the lounge for drinks and snacks between 18 an 20hr.
We went to the lounge for a quick drink but it was empty....the receptionist told us we only can get free coffe and tea, at the lounge. As a compensation the minibar was free of charge (except gin and whisky).
We went to the Bokan bar to cash in our free drink voucher but our prosecco was not included in de voucher... I asked to charge the prosecco to our hotel bill, but the waiter refused because we had not made a deposit at checkin. ( the receptionist asked my creditcard at checkin but forgot to finish the transaction).

The carpet and sofa had several red and black stains. We made our complaints to a quality control assistant but nothing happened...

At check out we complained about the stains, lounge and the inability to charge expenses to the room bill. After a short negotation we got a decent discount.

If it were not for the view i would not come back.
tris06 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

It’s sad to see this great hotel going somewhat down the hill after a great beginning. The devil is hiding in details and those details are not that hard to solve in this hotel.
tris06 and Londonlover like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Also very sad about this. All of us should talk with the manager when we stay there and also inform that the hotel will likely lose customers to other Accor options in London if they don't turn things around. Maybe they need to start random spot checks with some kind of bonus to those staff with consistently well looked after rooms/ suites. Any mark that cannot be cleaned should be noted down so when a check is done it wont penalised. I know this will eat slightly into profits but then they have in the past charged quite a bit for their rooms. I think we paid 300-400 GBP per night for our executive suite last year the room should be spotless.
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.