Community
Wiki Posts
Search

award for medical assistance?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

award for medical assistance?

I am a MD and have recently provided a 2hr patient care as a leading physician on the board of the UA plane heading from BKK to NRT. I was told by some passengers (some even described what they received from UA in the past for similar services) and UA FAs that I should be expecting a "thank you" note and some "reward" from UA soon. Have not received anything yet... Should I be expecting anything at all? I did even give up my C class seat for landing. Any comments, suggestions or advice?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

maciek504, I do not have any personal experiences to share with you, but I suggest you visit this thread: it's the only time I remember having seen this topic discussed on FT. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:49 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by maciek504:
I am a MD and have recently provided a 2hr patient care as a leading physician on the board of the UA plane heading from BKK to NRT. I was told by some passengers (some even described what they received from UA in the past for similar services) and UA FAs that I should be expecting a "thank you" note and some "reward" from UA soon. Have not received anything yet... Should I be expecting anything at all? I did even give up my C class seat for landing. Any comments, suggestions or advice? </font>
Bill the patient if you don't hear from UA.

Also see my signature line.

------------------
If you receive a reward, you deserve it. If you expect a reward, you deserve nothing.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:09 pm

Programs: I love Gold,AA-Gold, Movie Watcher-Gold, Reward zone-Gold
A thank you note? Yes it is a high possiblity, depending on whether or not someone in Customer Relations was notified with all the details.
A reward????? Do you expect one?

I agree with the poster JS above me. Nice signature line!

Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:28 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flybride:
A thank you note? Yes it is a high possiblity, depending on whether or not someone in Customer Relations was notified with all the details.
A reward????? Do you expect one?

I agree with the poster JS above me. Nice signature line!

</font>
I disagree. If UA used his services, the physician was entitled to expect payment for 2 hours of his time--and he didn't ask for payment. Barring that, he is certainly entitled to ask whether he will be compensated for giving up 2 hours of his time in the service of UA, on a flight when he was actually paying for them to service him.

The airline doesn't provide its services for free; why should the passengers be expected to?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CollegeFlyer:
I disagree. If UA used his services, the physician was entitled to expect payment for 2 hours of his time--and he didn't ask for payment. Barring that, he is certainly entitled to ask whether he will be compensated for giving up 2 hours of his time in the service of UA, on a flight when he was actually paying for them to service him. The airline doesn't provide its services for free; why should the passengers be expected to?</font>
If an announcment is made asking if there is a Doctor or Medical person on board to help with a possible problem, NO ONE is "expected" to respond and the Doctor has taken an oath. I truly find it hard to believe that any Doctor or Nurse could sit quitely and not help out. I don't think any airline expects passengers to provide services for free. They ask for medical personal to volunteer to help out.

I agree with an earlier posted the Doc should send the bill to the person he helped if he wants something for it...
This what's in it for me attitude stinks...

[This message has been edited by Flybride (edited Mar 08, 2004).]
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:42 pm
cxn

Flew FRA - JFK on Delta. About 3 hours into the flight, an older man died but had two medics working on him for maybe 2 more hours as the plane turned around.

They put the medics in First.

Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:46 pm

I talked to this lady who was bored for about an hour one time. Can I be compensated for being her in-flight entertainment?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CollegeFlyer:
I disagree. If UA used his services, the physician was entitled to expect payment for 2 hours of his time--and he didn't ask for payment. Barring that, he is certainly entitled to ask whether he will be compensated for giving up 2 hours of his time in the service of UA, on a flight when he was actually paying for them to service him.

The airline doesn't provide its services for free; why should the passengers be expected to?
</font>
UA didn't use his services, the patient did. If the poster wants "compensation" he should bill the patient.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:51 pm

Some questions....Did you show a medical ID before working on passenger? Did the purser take your name and address? Did you use the medical kit from the cockpit? And then allow some time for the flight reports to get in, people to read them, and the the options on what UAL is going to do. As Flight Attendants we never knew for sure what was the follow-up but believed it was geared to the situation.

In any event, I am sure the patient is very grateful and as another human being you did the absolutely right thing and you will be rewarded in some way or another throughout your life. It all comes back.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TheBigDuk:
I talked to this lady who was bored for about an hour one time. Can I be compensated for being her in-flight entertainment?</font>
LMAO Your check is in the mail....

Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TheBigDuk:
I talked to this lady who was bored for about an hour one time. Can I be compensated for being her in-flight entertainment?</font>
Depends on what city you were flying over... don't some have laws against that
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
i believe in that other thread, it was stated that good samaritan laws and such are based on services rendered without compensation

seems these docs are greedy *******s by reading these threads. isnt your profession about helping people in need??

its a good thing there is rarely a need for immediate legal assistance on board. i can see the lawyer there with huge legal tome in one hand, and a stop watch for calculating billable hours in the other...
Old Mar 9, 2004, 4:19 am

Programs: United 1k
Come on take it easy on the doc. He was told by others he might be compensated, and he hasnt been. He has a legitamate question, and FT is exactly the place for this kind of question.

From what I understand he is not insisting on anything, but rather was lead to believe that UA has set compensation for such occurances.

Now, if indeed UA has no set compensation for such an event, and the doc gets beligerant that he wants an SWU or something, then I think you can call him whatever is meant by all those starts - *******.

Edited to add constructive comments - My advice would be to call UA and ask if there is any set comp for such an event.

[This message has been edited by UnitedBozo (edited Mar 09, 2004).]
Old Mar 9, 2004, 4:27 am

Programs: United 1k
dup

[This message has been edited by UnitedBozo (edited Mar 09, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.