Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Y SIN-MEL vv

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2006, 1:21 am
Original Poster

SQ Y SIN-MEL vv

I had to be back home in MEL for a conference and a friend's 21st. So decided to come home for a week b4 heading off to Singapore and Europe again. This trip report will be in 2 parts, with part 2 of the report posted after my next flight.

SQ217, SIN-MEL Y seat 36H
ETD - 0955
ATD - 1012
Aircraft - B777-300

Check-in

I had requested for an emergency exit row seat prior to checking in. The phone check-in agent confirmed my request and gave me seat 36H upon my inquiry of aisle seat availability. Was told to pick up my boarding pass at either rows 3 or 4 at Changi.

Arrived at Changi at approximately 2 hours before departure. Row 3, the row designated for internet/phone check-ins was filled with long queues and I headed for row 4, the Star Alliance Gold row where 'queues' were at a maximum of 1 pax. At Changi Airport, in an effort to minimise queues, Krisflyer Elite Gold and Star Alliance Gold customers flying in economy on SQ check in at a designated row seperate from the Raffles Class rows. SATS check-in agent was extremely efficient but slightly surly in typical SATS style. Said agent noted that my boarding gate was right at the end (F59 - eep!) and invited me to use the SATS Lounge (now known as the SATS Premier Club). However I noted that he forgot to ask the mandatory security questions.

Lounge

As with check-in, non-SQ PPS Club Star Alliance Gold passengers (including Krisflyer Elite Golds) flying in economy on SQ at SIN are sent to the SATS Premier Club, an apparently inferior lounge to the SKL at SIN. Food was decent - a choice between chicken congee and mee siam (or laksa - can't remember). Limited selection of alcohol - only a few beers and 2 choices of red wine (a Shiraz and a...Shiraz Cabernet!), 1 type of champagne, and 2 choices of white wine (didn't notice what they were). To top it off, there were coffee makers all over the place. Seats were good and plentiful. The business centre was poor - only 3 computers with internet access, but no printing facilities. Overrall I thought it was a very decent lounge but then I havent been enchanted by the SIN SKL yet. :P The lounge receptionist kindly reminded me that I had to leave the lounge by 0930 in order to make it to the gate on time.

Boarding

I arrived at the gate just as boarding has commenced. No priority boarding zones at all, however the SATS agents were very efficient at clearing queues. Onboard, I was greeted by a smiling Singapore Girl who promptly gave me the standard directions to my seat.

Onboard service

Seat 36H had lots of leg space. I almost felt guilty taking it as I didn't need that much extra legroom, especially when there were a few very tall people sitting in the areas near me, but at the same time I could do without people climbing over me to get to the lavatory. The crew distributed hot towels before take-off. At this point I accidentally snuck a peek at the flight manifest and noted that at least 20-30% of the flight had Gold status of some description. So I must have been very lucky to snag an emergency exit row seat!

The crew sprang into service delivery as soon as the seat belt sign was off as the a/c levelled to its cruising altitude. Menu cards and headsets were distributed. Some pax at the exit/bulkhead row seats had difficulty getting up their PTVs and were promptly assisted by the crew. Nothing seemed too much trouble for the crew and I observed that the crew call button was responded to in under 10 seconds. Very regular drink runs were also made.

A continental breakfast was served after take-off:

Fruit
Fruit appetiser

From the bakery
Assorted breakfast rolls
Butter - Fruit preserve

Hot beverages
Coffee - Tea

Standard SQ Y class continental breakfast for flights under 12 hours with a main meal to be served. Nothing to rave about, the muffin was tasty though.

I decided to ask for a glass of red wine as I settled down to watch a movie. One of the ever friendly SQ Girl (regrettably I can't remember her name) suggested some peanuts to go along with the red wine. She came back with my glass of wine along with 2 packs of nuts, and a brief description of the 'French Shiraz.' Most impressive! The wine was delicious and I was tempted to ask for its name before I realised that it would taste different on the ground.

At this point I noticed that the crew on this flight was extremely professional in going about their duties. Efficient and attentive without being overly intrusive. It had none of that SQ robotic-ness that others enjoy complaining about. The Girls (and Boy) in my aisle were totally friendly. I also noted that almost all of the Singapore Girls (and Boy) were extremely young. I hope it's only because the airline puts junior crew in economy and more experienced crew in business and first, and not because it discriminates on the basis of age (and I might add - appearance) like Virgin Blue (who was sued successfully in court by ex-AN cabin crew).

Lunch was served about 3 hours prior to landing:

Appetiser
Pasta and ham salad

Main courses
Panfried chicken in mustard sauce with skewed vegetables and new potatoes

OR

Braised fillet of fish in hoisin sauce with Oriental mixed vegetables and steamed rice

Cheese
Cheese and crackers

Dessert
Ice cream

From the bakery

Roll and butter

Hot beverages

Coffee - Tea

I chose the main course of chicken which was absolutely tasty. The meat was very tender. The appetiser was yummy too but I would have preferred a healthier selection of starter like the often fresh garden salads on QF. I asked for a glass of white wine. There happened to be a choice of 2 white wines on board and when the Singapore Girl (Miss Janice Foo) saw me hesitate she let me taste both wines. In the end both were just as good as each other so the ever smiling Janice offerred to serve me both wines. I didn't want to look greedy so I asked for the 2nd glass of wine to come along a while later. Sure enough when the ever friendly Janice saw that my glass was empty she topped it up with a second glass of wine. The wines were a French Chardonnay and a German Riesling respectively. Both were sensational.

Krisworld was great as usual, especially with the Wisemen 3000 system. Watched 2 movies ('In Her Shoes'; 'Fantastic 4' )and a couple of sitcoms. Unfortunately there was no 'Friends' - my fave of faves. Thankfully there were 'Little Britain' and 'Kath and Kim.'

Have you ever heard that one drink in the air = 3 drinks on the ground? It must be true because by my 4th glass of wine (I also had 2 cans of beer b4) I was already feeling tipsy and asked for water instead. The ever efficient Janice (and her colleague whose name I can't remember) noticed that my face was red and ensured that I had a liberal supply of water. I chatted with Janice and her colleague and upon learning that it was my first time in a long time on SQ/*A I was given some SQ postcards and soft toys, which I decided to keep for my 2 year old nephew.

Landing was very smooth. We parked at the terminal about 5 mins behind schedule.

In summation SQ inflight service was faultless. However SATS ground staff needs to smile a bit more. Hopefully there'd be 'Friends' on my next flights with SQ.

pics to come...

Last edited by Keith009; Jan 15, 2006 at 1:30 am
Old Jan 15, 2006, 2:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador
You've gotta love how the Singapore Girls tend to give pax extra stuff when you carry out a nice decent conversation with them, and I totally agree how the ground staff at Changi needs to pull up their socks (or even start putting it on!) if they want to continue winning awards this year.

As for Friends, I think they've removed it and replaced it with Joey now that Friends has ended and Joey's the spin-off. Not really as good but well....
Old Jan 16, 2006, 5:32 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by QF009
I accidentally snuck a peek at the flight manifest and noted that at least 20-30% of the flight had Gold status of some description.
Very interesting! There are plenty of frequent flyers out there....

You didn't see how many were PPS, did you?

Enjoyable report, thanks -- a route I have done a few times . Looking forward to your report from the return trip: I have found the service and food to be less good on the MEL-SIN, for some reason, and wonder if you will agree.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LZ-HMI
Very interesting! There are plenty of frequent flyers out there....

You didn't see how many were PPS, did you?

Enjoyable report, thanks -- a route I have done a few times . Looking forward to your report from the return trip: I have found the service and food to be less good on the MEL-SIN, for some reason, and wonder if you will agree.
Saw quite a few PPSes here and there.

Food on the return comes from the QF kitchens so that could explain the difference in quality. Service - the crew might have exhausted themselves partying in MEL the night b4. The last time I flew MEL-SIN was in Dec 2004 and on SQ 228, and I found the service to be pretty good, except the IFE which crashed. It wasn't as memorable as my last flight in that nothing special happened, but then I was in a window seat then, which means I might have had less 'access' to the crew, and was without any status then. I dont know how much *G means onboard SQ though cause oneworld sapphire seemed to mean crap all on QF.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 2:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Great report so far QF009. Sorry I just missed getting you into the F lounge - my flight just left too early. There are lots and lots of high status pax between Australia/NZ and asia or north america. The large distances come to into play and those based in Australia/NZ who need to travel can clock up a lot of miles (and hence status) while they are also popular travel destinations for europeans and north americans in particular.

On SQ *G status is recognised in terms of service, but ranks behind their own PPS (top SQ status levels). That said, service is good anyway even if no status.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:36 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by QF009
I found the service to be pretty good... but then I was in a window seat which means I might have had less 'access' to the crew
Yes, I agree this makes quite a bit of difference. Especially when you're on your own.

I do always choose the window, though. Better still, I fancy the seats where you are both window and aisle . We can all dream!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LZ-HMI
Yes, I agree this makes quite a bit of difference. Especially when you're on your own.

I do always choose the window, though. Better still, I fancy the seats where you are both window and aisle . We can all dream!
I chose the window when I first started flying. Then after that it got old and I realised that being stuck in a window seat for hours is no fun cause I fly on my own a lot. Now I'll choose the window only when I'm travelling with family and friends, and even then only when I'm landing at an airport I've never been to.

Last edited by Keith009; Jan 17, 2006 at 7:51 am
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Great report so far QF009. Sorry I just missed getting you into the F lounge - my flight just left too early. There are lots and lots of high status pax between Australia/NZ and asia or north america. The large distances come to into play and those based in Australia/NZ who need to travel can clock up a lot of miles (and hence status) while they are also popular travel destinations for europeans and north americans in particular.

On SQ *G status is recognised in terms of service, but ranks behind their own PPS (top SQ status levels). That said, service is good anyway even if no status.
No worries Kiwi! Thanks for offerring to help in the first place.

I totally second ur sentiments about good SQ service. I still remember my pre-Flyertalk status-less days of flying. :P
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:00 am
Original Poster

SQ228 MEL-SIN Y seat 39C
ETD - 1700
ATD - can't remember
Aircraft - B747-400

Check-in
*Gs use the Raffles Class counters in MEL where there were hardly any queues. I had checked in on the phone and had been given 39C, another emergency exit row aisle seat. MEL check-in agent was simultaneously curt and inefficient. He did not ask any of the security questions, and he only put the priority tags on my bag after a reminder.

Silver Kris Lounge at MEL
Good business centre with 3 broadband enabled PCs, and printing + faxing facilities. Good general lounge area. Wines were dissappointingly limited, a choice between 1 type of red wine (Merlot) and 1 type of white wine (Sauvignon Blanc). There was also a bottle of champers. Decent selection of beers and spirits. The lounge attendant was a very pleasant woman who remembered each pax's name and made an effort to chat with everyone. A boarding call was made at 1630.

Onboard service
Was characterised by the efficiency and friendliness one has come to expect from SQ. The plane was like a sauna when I boarded but it's not really SQ's fault as the temperature in MEL was 42 degrees C that day, and the plane had been on the tarmac since 6am after operating to MEL as SQ227. Both cabin and cockpit crews were quick to assure annoyed pax that the plane would cool down once in the air. I chatted with the Leading Stewardess (Miss Jaclyn Ng) who was seated in front of me during taxiing and take off. The bubbly Jaclyn explained that the Singapore Girl kebaya was rather suited to hot weather, but cheekily added that the Singapore Boys were sufferring in their big suits.

A drinks run was made after take-off. I was glad that SQ made the initial drink run on the full trolley rather than on trays like some of my other flights with them. It meant that pax could have whatever they wanted without being limited to whatever was on the tray. Saved the cabin crew from having to run back and forth from the galleys. Shortly after, dinner was served:

Appetiser
Coleslaw salad with ham

Main courses
Braised beef in Chinese wine-five-spices with vegetables and steamed rice

OR

Pan fried chicken in red wine jus with seasonal vegetables and potatoes

Cheese
Cheese and crackers

Dessert
Ice cream

From the bakery
Roll and butter

Hot beverages
Coffee - Tea

I decided to check out the beef as it sounded interesting, even though I usually get the western meal to be safe. Jaclyn informed me that there were usually extra meals floating around and I could have the western meal if I didn't like the beef. My selection of main course turned out to be excellent - the beef was tender and rich in flavours. Rice was bland if not for the beef gravy - I prefer the fragrant jasmine rice served on some other airlines.

After dinner I asked Jaclyn if she would be so kind as to take a photo with me. She decided to introduce me to her colleague instead as the latter was deemed the 'public face of the company' due to her blue uniform (Jaclyn as Leading Stewardess was in green).

I was sitting near families with babies and I observed that Jaclyn and her team were extremely talented in dealing with both infants and toddlers. They offerred to carry the kiddies without being asked when the a/c landed so their stressed-out parents could get their bags out of the overhead compartments.

Drink runs were regularly made. Unlike the initial drink run these were done with trays. I suppose it made sense as half the pax would be asleep or occupied with the IFE by now. And people could always press the crew call button if they want anything else in between drink runs. Needless to say I had copious amount of the delicious wines served by SQ, plus the odd can of VB.

IFE was the same as SQ217 but that was cool as there was so much to choose from. I watched 'Just like Heaven' and a few sitcoms. Still no 'Friends.'

A snack was served 90 minutes from landing:

Light bites
Penne pasta in tomato-olive sauce

OR

Chicken and leek pie

Dessert
Snack bar (tim tam!!!)

Hot beverages
Coffee - Tea

I chose the pie which was lovely - nicely cooked with a great taste. My seatmates and I asked the Girls for more tim tams and were rewarded with a generous handful of tim tams each.

We landed 40 minutes ahead of schedule. Another great flight with SQ, an airline with first class service across all classes.

My bag appeared on the baggage belt as soon as I arrived at the belt - amazing!

Some pics have been posted here . Wasn't able to post all of them as for some reason my connection died while uploading the pics.

Last edited by Keith009; Jan 23, 2006 at 1:05 am Reason: clarification
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:11 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Nice report. I flew SQ in Y BKK-SIN-SYD last year in July, and had a similar experience--sat in exit rows, was treated very well by a young, efficient, and interested-in-their-job staff (I've flown on plenty of western airlines where that's not the case!).
A question: did you choose the daytime flights on purpose? The only negative thing about my flights was the outbound, overnight flight to SYD. No matter what airline you're flying, a 7-hour flight with 2 meal services allows precious little time to sleep--maybe only 3 hours. I was just wiped out upon arrival into SYD!
Next time I will choose my flight times more carefully, though I did also enjoy the other overnght round trip in BA WT+ for just slightly more cost than SQ Y ex-SIN.
Great report!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Nice report. I flew SQ in Y BKK-SIN-SYD last year in July, and had a similar experience--sat in exit rows, was treated very well by a young, efficient, and interested-in-their-job staff (I've flown on plenty of western airlines where that's not the case!).
A question: did you choose the daytime flights on purpose? The only negative thing about my flights was the outbound, overnight flight to SYD. No matter what airline you're flying, a 7-hour flight with 2 meal services allows precious little time to sleep--maybe only 3 hours. I was just wiped out upon arrival into SYD!
Next time I will choose my flight times more carefully, though I did also enjoy the other overnght round trip in BA WT+ for just slightly more cost than SQ Y ex-SIN.
Great report!
Yeah I've always preferred daytime flights and choose them over red eyes whenever possible when travelling in Y.

For SIN-MEL SQ217 is the only daytime flight.

For MEL-SIN, theres SQ238 which departs at 1010, and SQ228 as above.

Last edited by Keith009; Jan 23, 2006 at 10:28 am
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:49 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Hi,

I did SQ 228 a few weeks ago here's an excerpt of my trip report which I didn't post on Flyertalk:

Friday 6th January 2006 - Part I
Melbourne (MEL) - Singapore (SIN)

Today I had to go home after spending 12 fabulous days in Australia. After a frantic dash to the airport along the Monash & Tullamarine Freeways I dropped off my hire car just after 3.30pm and had a bit of a struggle with my luggage to get over to the international terminal. I detest airports which charge for the use of luggage trolleys. Why aren't they free? Anyway, I got to the Singapore Airlines (SQ) check-in zone at the far end of the terminal building at about 3.40pm and saw a very long line for Economy Class. So I joined the Raffles (Business) Class / Star Alliance Gold line where there were only a handful of passengers waiting. In theory, as a Star Alliance Silver member, I shouldn't really use this line but there was no way I was going to join the Economy line.

Earlier in the week, I had called SQ reservations and asked how much 10kg of extra baggage would cost as I am only entitled to 20kg in Economy Class and wanted to bring home 30kg. The friendly agent said, oh that should be fine, no extra charge for you, sir. He made a note on my reservation regarding this so that I wouldn't have any problems when I checked in. When I was in Sydney I also called them to input my Scandinavian Airlines (SK) flight details onto my SQ reservation so that my luggage could be through-checked all the way to London. This was done and I had priority tags attached to my bags as well. I asked the check-in agent how heavy my bags were and he said I was actually over 30kg! The case with the abalone weighed in at 16.4kg. The other larger case containing 3x 1.2kg boxes of Weet-Bix (yummy!) was even heavier! Lucky I wasn't charged extra for going over my allowance. As I had checked-in online earlier in the morning all I needed to do was pick up my boarding pass. I knew the flight was going to be pretty full so I chose an aisle seat nearest the front of the Economy cabin for speedier disembarkation. Check-in was complete five minutes after 4pm.

The flight was scheduled to depart at 5pm and I went through passport control and security just after 4.30pm. I didn't bother browsing the duty free shops as the last call for Flight SQ228 was being announced. I was glad Gate 3 was nearby so I didn't have far to go. I boarded the Boeing 747-400 Megatop and settled into my seat, 38C, and given a hot towel to freshen up. We took off at 5.20pm and the flight time was estimated to be exactly 7 hours. It was a pretty full flight in Economy.

Drinks and nuts were served shortly afterwards and then dinner. There was a choice of beef or chicken with ice-cream to follow. I chose the beef which was pretty average. Service was excellent as usual. I spent the flight watching a few films and catching up on some sleep. A light refreshment was served before landing, chicken pie or pasta with olive and tomato sauce. I had the pasta which was quite lame, just like the one I had on the Qantas flight from SYD-MEL the other day. Flight SQ228 touched down in Singapore Changi, the most fantastic airport in the world in my opinion, at 9.21pm local time. I was soon off the plane and by 9.45pm I was relaxing in the SQ SilverKris Raffles Class Lounge in Terminal 2 awaiting my onward connection to Shanghai at 0115.

The lounge itself was very busy when I arrived as many of SQ's departures to Europe leave between 11pm and 12am. There are several PC internet work stations, a self-serve buffet of light meals and snacks as well as a wide range of drinks. There is a good selection of international newspapers from all over the world, reflecting SQ's global network, and magazines. I made good use of the seperate smoking lounge and had a refreshing shower just before leaving the lounge a little under 3 hours later. Stay tuned for the next part of my journey to Shanghai...
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:42 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Some (exciting?!) photos here:

http://www.byphotos.com/album/2402795
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing, UK Flyer ! Great work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.