Old May 9, 2011, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
BKK-CDG on TG's 77W

BKK-CDG
TG930
777-300W
First

I was greeted at the entrance and led to my seat, 2K. I was quickly offered the amenity kit, PJ’s for the flight, and a glass of Dom, which I gladly accepted. I began to look around at all the features of the seat and it was just plain fun to play around with everything. The differences between one economy seat and another are close to nill so there's no "exploration" phase that is akin to getting a new car, but F sure offers that option!

There were obvious signs of wear and tear, but I encountered no issues with the AVOD or the seat controls. I did have some difficulty in closing one of the doors when I was ready to get some rest and it required a slight nudge inward before it would pull out.

View from my seat

Looking across the cabin from 2K

We took off a few minutes later then scheduled, but were soon in the air with 4/8 seats taken in F.

BKK-CDG TG930 Menu
Menu A: JAN/APR/JUL/OCT

First Serving
Oscietra Caviar with Garnitures

First Course
Tiger Prawn with Pressed Tomatoes and Pesto Sauce
Basil and Chili Sorbet

Main Course
Grilled Lamb Chop, Brown Mint Sauce
Roesti Potatoes
Mixed Vegetables Western Style

OR

Roasted Guinea Fowl with Morel Cream Sauce
Stir-fried White Cabbage and Bacon, Baby Vegetables

OR

Beef with Eggplant in Green Curry
Steamed Thai Hom Mali Rice, Vegetables

OR

Stir-fried Tiger Prawns with Guilin Chilli Sauce
Oriental Fried Rice, Sauteed Vegetables

Bread Selection/Butter
Assorted Cheese/Fresh Fruits

Dessert
Pear Tart Tatin / Vanilla Ice-cream
Tea, Coffee, Espresso, Cappuccino
BKK-CDG Wine List

White Wine
Meursault 2008
Chassagne Montrachet Le Divin 2008
Chateau Le Thil Comte Clary 2008

Red Wine
Chateau Belgrave 2007
Nuits-Saint-Georges 2008 (Pierre Gruber)
Nuits-Saint-Georges 2008

Champagne
Veuve Clicquot Rose Vintage 2004
Dom Perignon Vintage 2002
Meal service would finally begin after 1am, but I had already rolled back my clock to CDG time to try and trick myself into thinking it was still early evening. Surprisingly, all 4 F passengers elected to indulge in the full meal service.

Table setup with some amazing garlic bread

Caviar to start

Prawns with pesto sauce

Basil and Chili Sorbet that was frozen solid so I only had a few spoonfuls

Pre-ordered Chinese Roast Duck

The presentation of the meal was great, but the meal itself had its peaks and valleys. The garlic bread was the highlight (and oh boy was it great), and though the caviar and the prawns were great, the roast duck dish just weren’t very good. The duck was rather dry and the noodles were dry and bland. As I am Asian myself, I've had similar dishes in the past and this just wasn't very good. I almost felt like I wanted to add some of the sauce they use for the Y class dishes to alleviate the dryness.

Mood lighting kicking in with Tron: Legacy on the screen

After dinner service I was given a blanket and I waited an hour to turn in for the night in order to try and acclimate myself with the destination time zone.

The mood lighting is fantastic

After struggling with closing one of the doors, I was finally able to able to get the suite door closed. I settled in for the night and was able to get 5 or so hours of rest, only waking once or twice for a brief moment or two. There was almost no turbulence so it made for a comfortable flight. Unlike on Lufthansa, I was not provided a water bottle (or good night chocolates) prior to settling for the night.

When I awoke, we were about 2 1/2 hours out of Paris. I opened my suite doors and decided to watch a few of the TV shows. Now granted, I wasn’t thirsty enough to request something to drink, but at no point during the next hour, until breakfast service started, was I asked if I needed anything. In fact, I never once saw anyone checking on F passengers. I had heard about the inconsistencies in Thai F service, so I must have experienced the poor version. It basically seemed as if, once the dinner service ended, that was the end of service until breakfast, and I believe the private nature of the suites lends itself to this style.

The F cabin was kept cold, the coldest flight of any on the trip and the coldest in recent memory. The blanket and the PJ's were enough to keep me warm, but when I awoke and went to use the lav, I noticed how warm the galley was relative to the cabin itself.

BKK-CDG Breakfast Menu

Fresh Fruits
Plain Yoghurt, Fresh Yoghurt
Cereals

Main Course
Spanish Frittata
Prawn in Tomato Sauce
Premium Pork and Herb Sausage
Roesti Potatoes with Cheese and Bacon

OR

Pancake stuffed with Cream Mushroom
Tomato Cream Sauce
Grilled Back Bacon
Premium Pork and Herb Sausage
Grilled Mushrooms and Vegetables

OR

Cold Cuts Platter
(Salami, Ham and Cheese)

OR

Noodle Soup with Fish and Shrimp Balls

OR

Soft Boiled Rice with Salmon

Assorted Bread, Butter, Jam, Honey
Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocolate

Some fruit to start with

Yogurt in the container

Pancake stuffed with cream mushroom

Dawn in Europe

Arriving into Paris

Nice touch to end the flight - what do people do with this though?

Saying goodbye to the 77W

All in all, the hard product on this plane is great. The seat is comfortable in bed mode and also while sitting. The privacy of the suites really makes it difficult for FA’s to keep an eye on the cabin without making it obvious what they are doing by stopping next to your suite door. Of course, this was no issue on this flight outside of the meal service as there was no patrolling of the F cabin, (for at least the 2 hours I was awake outside of the meal service), something I can find even in Y class. While the ride in F was still amazing given my experiences in Y class, the service was mediocre and I found the C class KUL-BKK marginally better than this, an F class product.

Last edited by Pingtung; May 9, 2011 at 5:09 pm
Old May 9, 2011, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Transfer at CDG to LH

This was my first experience with CDG so I wasn’t sure what I was doing when I got off the plane. I was given a fast track pass after exiting the jetway and I began to follow everyone else out. I was looking for a transfer desk since I didn’t have a BP for the CDG-FRA leg yet, but unfortunately, I couldn’t find one for Lufthansa and tried using the signage to get to connections. Those signs led to connections in other terminals so I decided to just ahead and enter the Schengen area. Even though I had a fast track pass, there was no line, so I was quickly stamped in. I kept looking around for a transfer desk or something to get a boarding pass and finally when I asked someone at the security checkpoint in front of the LH gates, I was told I had to go downstairs.

At this point I realized that I would have to go down to departures to get a BP, but the signage led to arrivals so I just followed those. At various points I had to stop and consider which direction I was actually going as I didn't have confidence in the signage. Once I got there it took me another few minutes to figure out how to get down to the departures level and I ended up taking an elevator because I couldn’t find an escalator.

After all that, I finally had a boarding pass and went back to the security checkpoint in front of the LH gates and promptly went through security. A long 45 minutes later, I was finally airside. I think in the future, I will do my best to avoid coming through this airport.

Long tunnels leading out to the various satellite piers

then headed to the Senator Lounge which offered some snacks and drinks, still a cut above any RCC in the USA.

Dining area in the LH SEN lounge at CDG

Seating areas

The lounge offers no views so that's one downside, otherwise it's a typical LH lounge. Boarding neared so I headed to the gate. Given the small sizes of these satellite piers, it was a quick walk to the other end of the building to reach the gate.
Old May 9, 2011, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by francophile
Excellent photos, Pingtung.

What, you don't like to look at HSBC propoganda about being the "World's Local Bank" when you board and disembark an aircraft?
It's funny you mention that - I had no idea I had taken and uploaded a photo with the HSBC ads everywhere. I guess I was too excited at getting to the prize at the end of the tunnel

Originally Posted by brahms77
Pingtung, nice update! the 10 hour transit is quite long even though you have the FCL facilities to enjoy! By the way, in the Spa lounge, there seems to be steamed sauna and jacuzzi tub (this I have seen before)... I was wondering if they would allow both my wife and I (we are traveling in F with TG to SYD in October) to use both the sauna and the tub after our 1 hour massage We have about 4 and half hours to kill before our flight (after long long flight from EZE on LH and LX F! ). Sauna would be really nice.
No idea on this one, you'd have to access the experts over on the TG forum for guidance. Flights just never seem so long when you're in F, in fact it's quite the thrill

Originally Posted by lincoln76
A great trip report not only requires good photos but more importantly the story/descriptions and so far, Pingtung you have totally nailed it! It takes a long time to upload and describe that magical journey, but we will be patiently waiting for your BKK-CDG TG F journey report!
Thanks for the kind words - it is quite a time consuming process to sort through everything, but I've taken that magical journey through others' reports so far so I'm glad I could do the same for you.
Old May 9, 2011, 6:44 pm

Nice update with TG F suites! Unfortunately, for me and my wife, we won't be experiencing TG F suites... I really wanted to work it into the itinerary, but routing dragons with UA seemed to be a big concerned with the back tracking... (my flight EZE-FRA-ZRH-BKK-SYD... which is already well over MPM and going against the 'common' route via the pacific). So, I settled for LH F, LX F and TG F (BKK-SYD on A346).

At any rate, suites seems like a very nice way to fly in F. TG F meals never impresses me. It just seems so mediocre.

By the way, did you end up getting the Rimowa kit on your flight with TG?

Lastly, I saw that you visited KUL during your trip. How many days were you there? I am also thinking of visiting this October and was thinking of 2 days in KUL before heading to Khao Lak in Thailand.
Old May 10, 2011, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

CDG-FRA in LH C and a stop in Frankfurt

CDG-FRA
LH2418
A319
Business

Lufthansa A319 tail

Prior to boarding, I noticed the GA going around and taking a look at the amount of carryon baggage that people had. I later found out that this bird featured the new Y seats so she must have been gauging the amount of luggage that passengers had. Boarding was quick, though I found it odd that they only made one announcement for boarding, simply stating that boarding would begin shortly. A few minutes later, they just started scanning boarding passes and the process had begun.

New LH seats

United morning arrivals

AF A380 coming in June to IAD

The flight was under an hour so it went by rather quickly. It would be nice to see UA cater like this for a flight like this, but who am I kidding, it’s just a silly dream.

Breakfast

Arrival into Frankfurt

We parked at the far end of Terminal A, so I walked and walked and walked to the main terminal. It was close to a 10 minute walk and I am a fast walker who utilized all of the moving walkways. For those that are slow, this walk can easily take over 20 minutes.

Early in my walk

Empty baggage claim area

There weren’t many of us waiting for luggage as I’m sure many were transferring, but my priority tag did work and my bag was the first one off the belt.

I caught the S-Bahn into the city, though I actually went the wrong way at first (stupid me for not reading where the final stop was) so I had to get off at the next stop and switch directions.

While on the S-Bahn

A few shots from Frankfurt

Bayern Munich was in town and staying at the Westin

Old May 10, 2011, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brahms77
Nice update with TG F suites! Unfortunately, for me and my wife, we won't be experiencing TG F suites... I really wanted to work it into the itinerary, but routing dragons with UA seemed to be a big concerned with the back tracking... (my flight EZE-FRA-ZRH-BKK-SYD... which is already well over MPM and going against the 'common' route via the pacific). So, I settled for LH F, LX F and TG F (BKK-SYD on A346).

At any rate, suites seems like a very nice way to fly in F. TG F meals never impresses me. It just seems so mediocre.

By the way, did you end up getting the Rimowa kit on your flight with TG?

Lastly, I saw that you visited KUL during your trip. How many days were you there? I am also thinking of visiting this October and was thinking of 2 days in KUL before heading to Khao Lak in Thailand.
The suite was great and I really got a kick out of the mood lighting and the use of a "sunset" and "sunrise" setting to help align your body.

I did indeed get the Rimowa kit on the TG flight, I'll briefly cover the Amenity Kit in the conclusion.

I was in KUL for 2 full days - I'm not sure how familiar you are with Asia, but it wasn't a bad place to stopover and is similar to other mega cities in Asia. I didn't get a chance to really go and explore anything outside of the city, but the public transit system does work well. One annoying aspect of it is the fact that they are all independently run so you have to buy a new ticket when you transfer and the transfer stations are rarely in the same building so you have to walk a little bit.
Old May 10, 2011, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pingtung
The suite was great and I really got a kick out of the mood lighting and the use of a "sunset" and "sunrise" setting to help align your body.

I did indeed get the Rimowa kit on the TG flight, I'll briefly cover the Amenity Kit in the conclusion.

I was in KUL for 2 full days - I'm not sure how familiar you are with Asia, but it wasn't a bad place to stopover and is similar to other mega cities in Asia. I didn't get a chance to really go and explore anything outside of the city, but the public transit system does work well. One annoying aspect of it is the fact that they are all independently run so you have to buy a new ticket when you transfer and the transfer stations are rarely in the same building so you have to walk a little bit.
Thanks Pingtung, for your comments. I am looking forward to the Rimowa kits... it will complete our Rimowa collection (large 27 inch Topaz and small carry-on Topaz)

My wife and I are planning for two days in KUL as well. I guess the Public transit is a bit like Tokyo set up where different lines are owned by different companies... that's too bad.

When you have a chance, leave me a comment on my TR thread
Old May 11, 2011, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Frankurt LH First Class Terminal

After an afternoon and evening in Frankfurt, I caught an early 6am train to the Frankfurt Airport. Once I was at ground level, I started my walk to the FCT. I actually went the wrong way at first, but a few minutes of a delay wasn’t going to make a difference. After passing the waiting taxis and making the turn, I could finally see the terminal.

First sighting of the FCT

Lower level entrance

I approached the lower entrance and upon entering saw a sign on the desk that said to take the elevator up to meet the personal assistant. After exiting the elevator on the 2nd floor, I was met by an agent who was to take care of me during my stay. The first step was to check on access to the terminal – I told the agent that I would be connecting in ZRH to Swiss F and provided her with my passport. She came back a minute later and said that she couldn’t see the F segment from ZRH-YUL and wanted to know if I had a confirmation number or an e-ticket number. After providing an already used BP with the e-ticket number, she quickly found my reservation and directed me to security. After quickly passing through security, my assistant asked if it was my first trip here and I said it was - so she showed me around the lounge area. After which, I settled in at the dining area for breakfast and she let me know that she would be back with my boarding passes in a little while.

I hadn’t had anything to eat yet as I had planned to eat breakfast here so I was looking forward to finally getting some food. The breakfast buffet spread is extensive and you can request made to order omelets if you so choose.

Buffet area

Hot dishes

Some of the seating in the dining area

After getting seated I was immediately asked if I would like some coffee which I declined. I did end up going back twice to get more food as I was quite hungry.

Some selections from the buffet

The food was great and I would love to come back one day to try out their lunch and dinner dishes. One issue I did have was with the freshly squeezed orange juice. Now, I don’t know if they really really wanted you to know it was fresh, but the glass I poured ended up having small bits of seeds and bite size pieces of orange. In other words, it was as if they removed the peal and then just pressed the orange and stuck it in a blender – not quite freshly squeezed.

During breakfast my personal assistant came to provide me with my boarding passes – she did mention that she was unable to print the final Montreal-Washington BP out as she couldn’t seem to check me in. She said that she had tried various methods and none worked so I would have to get the BP later. I thanked her and felt satisfied that she had really made an effort to try and check me in, excellent service even though the result wasn’t positive.

I took a seat in the lounge after breakfast and, given the empty terminal, was able to take a few photos of the lounge.

Some of the seats with view of...buildings

Massage chairs

Bar area

Only showing flights of passenger in the lounge

Sink area in the bathroom, such elegance

I had about an hour before my flight so I made use of the wi-fi to get myself reconnected with the world. I was sitting out in the open and was left undisturbed for a good 30 minutes before I decided to make my way to the bar myself to request a drink. I guess the bartender that was moving around just forgot about me. The bartender took my request and let me know that she would bring it by my seat.

Strawberry smoothie at 8am, yum!

At about 30 minutes before departure, my personal assistant came to let me know that it was time to board. She led me downstairs and handed me off to the driver. After a quick check of my boarding pass, I was on my way.

Direct transport to the plane

Being escorted onto the Avro jet

On our way to the plane we had to wait a minute for a massive Singapore 747 to pass by – it was an absolute thrill to see that big bird taxiing right in front of me! When we arrived at the plane, I saw the bus full of passengers pull up as well. As I was getting out of the car, I noticed the ground agent and the FA signaling to the bus driver to hold on for a second until I boarded. As soon as I entered the plane, the bus doors were opened. It felt a bit funny to get such special treatment, but it was indeed an experience.

The FCT was great, though the service wasn't quite as attentive as MUC and BKK, it offered top notch facilities and is a fantastic aspect of the LH F experience.

The shot you can get when you're first on

Last edited by Pingtung; May 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm
Old May 12, 2011, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

FRA-ZRH in LX C and ZRH FCL

FRA-ZRH
LX1069
AR1
Business

What to do when you've got nothing to do

Thai in retro livery

Prior to takeoff I was offered a water bottle to have for the quick hop over from Frankfurt. As we were taking off I got a glimpse of quite a few folks on a hill I can only imagine is for spotters, lucky them.

As was the norm for all of my European hops, I had a set of 3 seats to myself. I wasn’t expecting much in terms of a meal, but shortly after takeoff I was provided with a nice fruit plated. Again, why can’t this be offered in the US in domestic F for short flights?

Breakfast on a 35 minute flight

View across the row

The flight flew by quickly and in no time, we were landing in Zurich.

Taxiing in Zurich

Not much to report about this short flight, but the meal was a pleasant surprise and the scenery out the window was plenty to keep me entertained.

We arrived at a remote stand and had to board a bus that would take me back to the terminal. After arriving at the terminal and taking the escalator up, the FCL was right in front of me. I elected to walk around to get a glimpse of the airport first before heading over.

Inside Zurich Airport

ZRH FCL Entrance - you have to push the button to open the door

I went up the stairs and handed over my boarding pass to the agents at the front desk. I also asked to see if they could also try checking me in for the UA flight I was connecting too. They were able to do so and were surprised to see that I had come from Frankfurt and was connecting in Zurich and then Montreal…just to get to Washington. I’m sure they were thinking – why didn’t this guy just get on a direct flight? They welcomed me in and told me to meet them at 12:15PM at the front of the lounge for the F shuttle to the E gates.

Self serve bar on the quiet side of the lounge

Nice decor in the lounge

Buffet area

More seating with a great view outside

The lounge food was the plainest of the F lounges I visited on my trip. It had all the basic offerings along with some warm food, but it was otherwise unspectacular. I did have some chocolate and some of the snacks, but I didn’t feel the need to get a photo of it. After an hour in the lounge, it was really beginning to become full so I decided to head to the front of the lounge to see if I could catch an earlier shuttle. There was room on the shuttle before my designated one so I joined the group and headed downstairs. There we went through a security checkpoint that is designated for employees only and after finishing, walked a few feet over to a special passport control.

I was first through security so I walked up and handed my passport and boarding pass. He looked through for a minute and seemed perplexed. He came back to me and said that there was a problem with my entry into the Schengen area. He showed me the stamp from Paris and pointed out that it was dated for a date after the present date! I had in fact been stamped in 4 days AFTER the current day. Well that was clearly wrong so I gave him my BKK-CDG ticket stub which clearly showed that I had entered yesterday. He called his supervisor to see what he should do and during this time I felt bad for holding up 5 other F passengers in a process that normally takes seconds. 2 minutes later, he got off the phone and said that he would stamp me out anyway and so he stamped right on top of the Paris entry. He said that his colleagues in Paris made a big mistake and this was not good. I wonder how many passengers the border control officer in Paris stamped in with the wrong date…

We finally boarded the van and headed to the E gates. There we were escorted into the elevator and dropped into the terminal. I had heard about the double security that flights to the USA encounter, but if you’re going anywhere else you avoid any wait time by going through private security, passport control, and van service, so I did find the service useful.

Gate area in Terminal E

Bird to Montreal (sorry about the glare)

Boarding had already begun when I arrived so I quickly made my way to the empty Business/First line. There was a border control officer at the gate who inspected everyone’s documents and asked a few questions about why you were traveling in the Schengen area (a customs check I assume). Finally I boarded – it was time for my final F experience of the trip.
Old May 12, 2011, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Swiss F on ZRH-YUL

ZRH-YUL
LX86
A330-300
First

View across from 2K

LX F seat

I was the first F passenger on board and I made a quiet entry so I was able to get a few photos in before an FA came out to take my coat. She immediately came back and offered the amenity kit and menu for the flight. She then offered me something to drink and I gladly accepted some champagne. About two minutes after being given the champagne, another FA came out and offered an amuse bouche – a duck with pineapple chutney.

Champagne with an amuse bouche

F menu for the flight

Two other individuals traveling together eventually joined the F cabin and with that, boarding was complete. While on the ground, the FA who would be the one to mostly handle the F cabin was very friendly so we chatted for a few minutes. Later on she noticed I was playing around with the seat controller so she offered to show me how to use it. A few minute before taxi, I was given a special chocolate bunny in honor of the upcoming Easter holiday, but I placed the bunny inside the compartment which has a light that is always on – so when I went to eat it, it had kind of melted

Immediately after takeoff

Seat controller

The seat had all sort of adjustable features which were great to play with. As I had an entire row to myself I could, without drawing attention, continually adjust the seat and play around with all the features. I wish I could’ve tried the seat on an overnight flight, but it was very comfortable for the 8 hours I was on board. I’m not the tallest person the world, but I was able to reach the ottoman across the seat in a reasonable fashion in recline mode unlike on the TG 77W.

Lunch on Switzerland-North America

First Courses
Fillet of Balik Salmon
Langoustine cocktail with ratatouille
Selection of air-dried meat specialties
Aubergine tartare with fresh herbs on roast Nicola potato

Mediterranean cream of vegetable soup with chervil

Seasonal salad with grilled artichokes and confied tomatoes

Main Courses
Roast fillet of beef
Grated Belper Knolle cheese, brown butter
Risotto with green asparagus

Roast corn-fed chicken breast, morel sauce
Timbale of potato with vegeatbles, sauteed spinach

Pike and prawn terrine, lemongrass sauce
Sepia linguine, baked spring onions in sesame tempura

Rocket ravioli with tomatoes and olives

Cheese
Selection of Swiss artisan cheese

Desserts
Panna cotta timbale with turmeic, biscuit ice cream
Rhubarb compote with strawberry sauce
Sprungli chocolates and pralines
Espresso and a selection of coffees and teas
ZRH-YUL Wine List

Sparkling Wine/Champagne
Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle

White Wine
Wannenberg Chardonnay AOC 2009
Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons 2008
Eidos de Padrinan - Rias Baixas DO 2008

Red Wine
Kloster Sion Pinot Noir Reserve Klingnau AOC 2007
La Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion AOC 2006
Vina Real Gran Reserva Rioja DOCa 2001

Dessert Wine
Sauternes Cru Barrejats 2004

Port
Graham's Tawny 20 years

The table setup

Trolley service for the appetizers

My selection

Closeup of Aubergine tartare

Cream of vegetable soup

Chicken breast morel sauce

Dessert that looked and tasted great

Tea to finish off lunch

Lunch was just spectacular. I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the meal including the service. The chocolate at the end of the service was a unique aspect. The chicken breast was juicy and flavor – I don’t know how they kept it so juicy but it tasted great! The pace was to my liking as well, but I suppose it’s so much easier with only 3 in the cabin. My drinks were constantly refilled all the time and my plate was always quickly removed when finished. It’s not that my other F flights were slow in removing finished plates, but Swiss was just on top of their game at all times.

After a wonderful dinner I elected to get a bit of rest, not actually sleeping, but just resting my eyes. The FA brought a blanket out for me and offered to make the bed for me, but I declined as I was only looking for half an hour or so of peace. Halfway through my rest I awoke and noticed a bottle of water was placed on the arm of my seat, much appreciated!

I eventually sat up and began to watch some movies to pass the time. During this time, the purser, who was working the J cabin, came by the F cabin and offered us some ice cream which I gladly accepted. A minute later, the F cabin attendant came by to provide a metal spoon instead of the plastic one that came with the ice cream.

Ice cream was great for a snack

F cabin inflight

I had never seen the flight information program that Swiss uses and I found it to be a nice upgrade over the one that’s standard across the industry. Throughout the rest of the flight, I was checked on every 15 or so minutes to see if I needed a refill or if I needed anything else.

Nice view of the northern reaches of the American continent

About an hour and a half before arrival, a snack service commenced.

Arrival Service A La Carte

Chicken Caesar Salad

Olive focaccia with Parma ham, Parmesan cheese and rocket

Spring onion, potato and Zuger Alpkase quiche

Fresh seasonal fruit

Zuger Kirchtorte - Kirsh sponge cake from Zug

Chicken Caesar Salad

Sandwich

Some fruit to end

Snack service provided a nice meal before arrival. The salad was great with the ingredients tasting fresh. The sandwich was mediocre; I found the bread a bit too dry, though the contents of the sandwich were tasty. After this snack service, it was time to begin preparation for landing.

Hello there Canada!

The landing was extremely rough as the pilot battled the crosswinds and you could still feel the plane flexing back and forth as we touched down, at one point when we were 50 or so feet from the ground I thought we might have to go around as the plane was jolting around quite a bit. After exiting the runway, the pilots welcomed us to Montreal and made a joke by sarcastically calling it an easy and smooth landing in the strong winds.

Strong winds at Montreal

Cloudy day in Montreal

From my one experience, I found Swiss F to be just spectacular from a service vantage point. The FA’s were always smiling and felt genuinely pleased to help. To go along with the service, the food was far and away the best of the four F segments I took. I did not get a chance to try out the bed, but the seat was comfortable while dining and while lounge reclining. I was sad to see my time in F come to an end, but I still had one more segment to go before I would be home.
Old May 12, 2011, 7:23 pm

Nice pictures Pingtung!

Your pictures are such a great preview of my LX F flight to come (albeit the seats will be older F on 340). Someone in the LX forum mentioned earlier that Swiss has improved their catering and presentation of the meals (which were already great to begin with) and it really shows in your picture. The soup bowl is very nice... something that we'd buy for our home

I really like the 'freshness' of the F cabin in LX. Why can't other airlines follow? TG, for instance... really aweful interior, in my opinion. They certain could have better utilized their national color - purple - much better than their current interior scheme.

LH is getting better, but not to the level of LX. EK is too flash. NH is a bit too plain, almost to that of US carriers. OZ is a bit odd as well... I don't think grey and yellow goes well. Nonetheless, whoever designed LX's interior should be given an award for its excellence - is there such thing as aircraft interior awards?

Anyway, nice pictures... certainly sad that it's coming to an end though.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Transfer at YUL and YUL-IAD on UA Express Y

I was surprised to see someone holding up a sign with my name on it when I deplaned, but a woman was there to greet me and she informed me that she would be helping me transfer to a USA bound flight. It later appeared that she was working for the airport so I don’t know if I was given special treatment because I was in F or if it was because I was transferring to a USA bound flight.

I had been expecting to just walk down the special corridor for passengers going international-USA, thus able to bypass Canadian customs, but the agent told me that before we could do that they had to see if my luggage was with the first group (which I suspect is the bundle for connecting flights. We waited at the intersection between customs and the special corridor for info from the baggage crew. A few minutes later they called back saying that my luggage was not in this group so I would have to pick it up from the arrivals belt and go through customs. My luggage had been tagged all the way to IAD so I’m not sure what would happen if someone wasn’t met at the gate like I was. I suppose their luggage would get the Dulles eventually, but I don’t think it would make the connection.

Empty Immigration lines

I filled out an immigration card and approached the border control officer. She asked what the purpose of my trip was and how long I was staying – I responded with transfer and 3 hours. She looked up, intrigued now, before asking if I would be leaving anything in Canada and such. After a quick discussion, she stamped my customs form and I was on my way.

After passing the customs checkpoint – I was finally at the baggage claim where my luggage was one of the first ones off the belt.

Waiting for my luggage

The airport agent led me to the transborder portion of the terminal where she informed me that the UA agents (though really they were contracted agents) would not be here for another hour and a half. I asked, “since my bag had been tagged to IAD already and I have a boarding pass, do I still need to see the agent?” She said yes, though later after talking with an agent after they set up shop, I realized I could’ve just gone through. As I had some time to kill, I decided to reprint my BP at the kiosk. I did so and noticed I had gotten flagged with the dreaded SSSS on my BP. Well seeing as how I already had a BP, I just stashed the new one away to never be seen again

View from the outside

The US bound portion of the terminal was always quiet during the 1 ½ hours I waited, it didn’t seem like there were too many flights that departed from this part of the terminal at any one time.

The busiest time at the US bound flight portion of the terminal

After entering the terminal, I headed over to the Maple Leaf Lounge. My credentials were checked and I was welcomed in. The lounge would remain fairly empty during my hour there (no more than 4 people) as there were only 5 more flights leaving for the states all evening.

Entrance to the Maple Leaf Lounge

Swiss heading back to Zurich - wishing I could be in F again

Seating areas in the lounge with views of the tarmac

Some of the simple offerings in the lounge

Other side of the lounge

I grabbed a bag of chips to nibble on and used the free wi-fi while I waited. Our plane would be late arriving, but I went ahead and left the lounge about half an hour before our original departure time.

Empty transborder terminal area

The plane arrived about the time we were scheduled for departure, but they turned the E-145 around in literally 3 minutes and called for all rows all passengers.

First officer doing preflight preparations

Once airborne, we were offered a beverage service as is standard on UA and UA Express flights. I had been thrust back into reality now in this all Y configured plane.

Back to reality where ads are all over your napkins

The flight was otherwise uneventful and upon landing, we had to wait 5-10 minutes before our plane could taxi into the stand position – ah, the good old A gates. I quickly headed to baggage claim where my bag was already on the belt when I arrived (I hate that UA Express bags are all placed onto one belt, it makes it fairly chaotic sometimes), I’m not sure if priority tagging worked or if I was just lucky, but I suspect I was just lucky.

End of a long journey - waiting for the hotel shuttle
Old May 13, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nice conclusion to your report Pingtung. I am looking forward to my next LX F experience. It will be in the old F seat but the food and service should still be fabulous. I wonder if they will bring back Louise between now and September.
Old May 13, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Spectacular report, Pingtung! Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful flights, which both bring back memories & inspire future travel. Bravo!
Old May 13, 2011, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Conclusion

This journey is one that I will never forget – being my first F journey, it will always be remembered for all the firsts (pun-intended) I experienced. The personal space afforded to you in F class and with F services on the ground really makes time fly so quickly in going halfway around the world. Now onto my comparisons on the F portions:

Lounge/Ground Services:
1) Thai Airways at BKK
2) Lufthansa at MUC
3) Lufthansa at FRA
4) Swiss at ZRH

Thai’s FCL at BKK is a cut above the rest – though I found the constant attention a bit too much sometimes, the offerings in this lounge make it a true sanctuary. I found the Munich FCL just a bit more attentive then the FCT at Frankfurt, but that may just be my one experience. Swiss’s ZRH FCL provided the best views of the three, but it got a bit crowded around 11am and didn’t quite feel so exclusive. The direct to plane transfer at FRA makes you feel like you are getting on a private jet – a major positive of the FCT. The longest security checkpoint I had at any airport was the Boston Terminal E checkpoint with a wait time of 4 minutes. Travel made easy.

In Flight F Service:
1) Swiss F on ZRH-YUL
2) Lufthansa F on MUC-SIN
3) Lufthansa F on BOS-MUC
4) Thai F on BKK-CDG

On my Swiss flight, they essentially took the best elements of both LH segments and merged them together to provide a wonderful experience. Everything was done with elegance (e.g. pouring at the seat and allowing you to try the wine before pouring a glass full) and pleasure. LH has no distinguishable faults and I would never hesitate to fly them again (granted I would never reject an offer to take F class). Thai was unfortunately a disappointment. It was still F and was great from that perspective, but it wasn’t even close, service wise, to what LH or LX offered. I suspect the suite style lends itself to laziness and I was pretty much on my own for the 7 hours between meal service.

In Flight F Meals:
1) Swiss F on ZRH-YUL
2) Lufthansa F on MUC-SIN
3) Lufthansa F on BOS-MUC
4) Thai F on BKK-CDG

The Swiss F meals were far and away the best. There wasn’t much difference in overall quality of the two F flights on LH – but I gave the edge to the MUC-SIN flight solely on the fact they had freshly scrambled eggs, though I do understand this might be a result of the longer flight time of that segment. Thai again rounded out the bottom I was still satisfied with the food on Thai, it just felt more like airplane food than on my other flights.

In Flight F Seat:
1) Thai F on BKK-CDG Suites
2) Swiss F on ZRH-YUL new A330-300
3) Lufthansa old F

I rate the Thai F suite seat over the Swiss F seat as I know for a fact that I can sleep well on the 77W F seat. Not many complaints otherwise – though a special positive note to Lufthansa for having a ridiculous amount of storage space.

F amenity kits:

Swiss F Amenity Kit

Thai F Amenity Kit

Lufthansa F Amenity Kit

1) Thai F Rimowa
2) Swiss F Bally
3) Luftansa F Rimowa

This really comes down to personal preferences, but I liked the Thai amenities the best. Each offered some additional amenities in the bathroom, but I didn’t keep notes on those so I can’t quite remember which flight had what. The only aspect I do remember is that the lotions and gels I saw in the bathroom on the BOS-MUC A340-600 were nonexistent on the MUC-SIN A340-300. The PJ's for fine on LH and TG (no preference for either) - I probably should've asked if I could have one on the Swiss flight, o well.

Final thoughts:

I have a lot of respect for the folks that write up trip reports, everything from the F trips to the unique Y class endeavors. It took quite a bit of time to organize and put the report together, but I hope to look back on this report one day to remember the journey I went on.

I look forward to traveling in F again one day (must keep saving up those miles!) Though I did get to experience 3 different *A F flights, I would love to one day try out NH or OZ (or if by some magic, SQ) F. After doing this travel in F and C, I am already dreading any future long haul segments I may be taking in Y class, but the chance to fly premium travel again will always be in the back of my mind. With that, thanks for reading and if you have any questions, just let me know.

Final thoughts:

I have a lot of respect for the folks that write up trip report, everything from the F trips to the unique Y class endeavors. It took quite a bit of time to organize and put the report together, but I hope to look back on this report one day to remember the journey I went on.

I look forward to traveling in F again one day (must keep saving up those miles!) Though I did get to experience 3 different *A F flights, I would love to one day try out NH or OZ (or if by some magic, SQ) F. After doing this travel in F and C, I am already dreading any future long haul segments I may be taking in Y class, but the chance to fly premium travel again will always be in the back of my mind. With that, thanks for reading and if you have any questions, just let me know.

Dreaming of the day when I can return to 2K on Swiss F

Champagne and a chocolate bunny to end the trip report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.