Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SASs intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:50 am

CPH-MUC-CPH, both legs 44€ each. Flight in 2nd December week.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by fassy
CPH-MUC-CPH, both legs 44€ each. Flight in 2nd December week.
MUC - CPH is for me 39€ in February.

And I just got upgraded on ATH - ARN for 39€ (but I applied for it already a month ago).

Last edited by Jainzar; Nov 29, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:43 pm

Btw, just applied for a long haul OT and there the price for both legs differs based on length of flight and fare paid per leg. (At least based on my observation)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: A3*G
Fare Class changing on OT upgrade

I have used OT to upgrade 9 reservations SAS Go to SAS Plus for intra Europe travel. Each time, when a successful upgrade was processed, my Fare Class was changed to Z. As I credit to A3 Miles+Bonus rather than SK Eurobonus, this resulted in 200% mileage earning. All of these upgrades were fully processed and nothing had to be done at the gate. When I checked SAS Manage my Booking, this clearly showed SAS Plus and even additional ticket numbers.

I recently paid for IAD-CPH with OT and was upgraded but not automatically. It had to be done at the gate in IAD-Washington just prior to departure. I asked the gate agent to confirm the Fare Class was changed and she claimed it never changes. I completed travel and as I credit to A3 Miles+Bonus, I only received 100% rather than 200% which I expected based on prior experience.

Now some departments in SAS are claiming "extra miles" are for Eurobonus members and that program only. A supervisor at CPH airport however disagreed and said I was due to have either Y or P Fare Class and that the upgrade wasn't processed correctly. Further one department has said sometimes SAS "does not have time to re-issue tickets" before travel and this is why my Fare Class didn't change to reflect SAS Plus.

Now I'm in a nasty battle trying to get a clear answer on what I'm actually entitled to and if I'm entitled to a different Fare Class, to get those miles retro claimed to credit to A3 Miles+Bonus.

Has anyone similar experience? SAS Customer Care is leaving a lot to be desire both in terms of an efficient response and having their people have a consistent answer.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by eurotexan
I have used OT to upgrade 9 reservations SAS Go to SAS Plus for intra Europe travel. Each time, when a successful upgrade was processed, my Fare Class was changed to Z. As I credit to A3 Miles+Bonus rather than SK Eurobonus, this resulted in 200% mileage earning. All of these upgrades were fully processed and nothing had to be done at the gate. When I checked SAS Manage my Booking, this clearly showed SAS Plus and even additional ticket numbers.

I recently paid for IAD-CPH with OT and was upgraded but not automatically. It had to be done at the gate in IAD-Washington just prior to departure. I asked the gate agent to confirm the Fare Class was changed and she claimed it never changes. I completed travel and as I credit to A3 Miles+Bonus, I only received 100% rather than 200% which I expected based on prior experience.

Now some departments in SAS are claiming "extra miles" are for Eurobonus members and that program only. A supervisor at CPH airport however disagreed and said I was due to have either Y or P Fare Class and that the upgrade wasn't processed correctly. Further one department has said sometimes SAS "does not have time to re-issue tickets" before travel and this is why my Fare Class didn't change to reflect SAS Plus.

Now I'm in a nasty battle trying to get a clear answer on what I'm actually entitled to and if I'm entitled to a different Fare Class, to get those miles retro claimed to credit to A3 Miles+Bonus.

Has anyone similar experience? SAS Customer Care is leaving a lot to be desire both in terms of an efficient response and having their people have a consistent answer.
Your long haul upgrade was to Plus or to Business? If Plus it should not change the booking class to Z as that is a business class bucket for long haul. I think earlier people have been talking about booking class A. It is in the thread somewhere.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Your long haul upgrade was to Plus or to Business? If Plus it should not change the booking class to Z as that is a business class bucket for long haul. I think earlier people have been talking about booking class A. It is in the thread somewhere.
Intra Europe change to Z for Plus. I understood transatlantic Plus to change to P (or Y or A). I found that on the wiki and that's partially what drove me to pay.

SAS is claiming though that even though I paid for SAS Plus that my ticket should remain (and mileage earning) in Fare Class K which is very clearly SAS Go. Not what I paid for. Not what I expected. Not how it's worked for me in the past. To me, post-Upgrade the fare class should reflect the appropriate bucket for SAS Plus or Business, as the case may be.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Did you pay with cash or points at the gate? A gate upgrade is usually done with points in which case your revenue class doesn't change and you get points according to the original paid booking. If you upgraded with cash through OT through the regular process then your tickets gets reissued in a higher booking class for which you will earn points accordingly.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by eurotexan
Intra Europe change to Z for Plus. I understood transatlantic Plus to change to P (or Y or A). I found that on the wiki and that's partially what drove me to pay.

SAS is claiming though that even though I paid for SAS Plus that my ticket should remain (and mileage earning) in Fare Class K which is very clearly SAS Go. Not what I paid for. Not what I expected. Not how it's worked for me in the past. To me, post-Upgrade the fare class should reflect the appropriate bucket for SAS Plus or Business, as the case may be.
The change to A would also have been my understanding. And for the upgrades I have done the booking class has changed. And as you say, they advertise more points, without limiting it to their own members. Maybe you should point them to their own website if they do not yield.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Did you pay with cash or points at the gate? A gate upgrade is usually done with points in which case your revenue class doesn't change and you get points according to the original paid booking. If you upgraded with cash through OT through the regular process then your tickets gets reissued in a higher booking class for which you will earn points accordingly.
Paid with cash directly through OT, more than a week before the flight.

Last edited by eurotexan; Dec 1, 2015 at 5:05 am Reason: Added detail about when I paid
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The change to A would also have been my understanding. And for the upgrades I have done the booking class has changed. And as you say, they advertise more points, without limiting it to their own members. Maybe you should point them to their own website if they do not yield.
I have spent more than 6 hours on phone calls to SAS, OT, and Aegean and have pointed to the OT website about the more miles. Both OT and SAS claim the extra miles are for Eurobonus members which makes no sense and is completely irrelevant when the Fare Class is updated correctly. SAS has treated my cash-paid upgrade like an Op Upgrade and is claiming the "didn't have time" to re-ticket me at the gate, which I find absolutely ridiculous.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
OT upgrades usually clear a few days before the flight. If they are unable to upgrade you the upgrade is usually rejected, which then doesn't mean you can't get a points upgrade.

Did you get any communication from OT prior to getting to the gate about the upgrade being successful or not? If you have that you can tell SK to retro-apply the correct fare class.

Otherwise it sounds like a SOL situation and a lesson never to accept a OT upgrade without a changed fare-class. Experience has taught that trying to solve this with a company like SK is not going to happen, their (lack of) customer service is clueless on these matters.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
OT upgrades usually clear a few days before the flight. If they are unable to upgrade you the upgrade is usually rejected, which then doesn't mean you can't get a points upgrade.

Did you get any communication from OT prior to getting to the gate about the upgrade being successful or not? If you have that you can tell SK to retro-apply the correct fare class.

Otherwise it sounds like a SOL situation and a lesson never to accept a OT upgrade without a changed fare-class. Experience has taught that trying to solve this with a company like SK is not going to happen, their (lack of) customer service is clueless on these matters.
Yes I have an OT confirmation that came through the day before but it was "subject to availability" meaning the flight was very full. The gate agent had to confirm it. As it was done this way, it didn't get processed normally and automatically which results in ticket reissue and correct fare class. I have explained this over a dozen times to SAS staff / customer care / Eurobonus gold desk (who is involved). The supervisor in CPH from SAS sides with me as does a manager in the call centre in their main location. I wouldn't be wasting my time if I did not feel I deserved it based on what I paid, but I do. But this is like a lottery as to whether OT and SAS process the hogs consistently. Which really sucks. And I feel like everyone here should know my experience in detail, and SAS's handling of it, as in my opinion they are breaking their contract. At a minimum they are discriminating in what benefits they give depending on when an upgrade is given which makes me not want to take any risk because I paid quite a lot of money (4 passengers).
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:03 am

Hmm, yes... tricky if the ticket wasn't reissued. I had that a couple of times but as I credited to EuroBonus a short mail to OT support fixed the point awarding.

I think I heard from both SAS and OT before that OT needs to resolve it - but since you credit to A3 I guess they have no way of doing so and SAS would need to credit the miles to A3.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: SK-EBD
Had a somewhat strange but in the end - pleasant upgrade recently.

For my flight SFO-CPH in low eco I had requested Optiontown upgrade to both classes. Later I also opted for upgrade for points to both classes.

Approximately 72 hours before departure I was cleared to Plus with Optiontown. 48 hours before I got the unfortunately-mail from SAS. No point upgrade.

But then 24 hours before this: Youve been upgraded to SAS Business! We know that you spend a lot of time onboard our aircraft, and we appreciate it very much! To show you just how much, were offering you an upgrade to SAS Business when you travel from San Francisco to Copenhagen.

It even added: The offer applies to you and your traveling companion in the same booking! It was only me in that booking, though.

The wording was not completely clear, it didnt say it was a gift, but no points have been withdraw.

Very nice. Must be a Diamond-perk? Or?

But I still wonder why they wouldnt have my money or points for the Plus-Business upgrade. At time of check in, less than half of the seats in both cabins was reserved. At departure, both cabins where almost full.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Very nice. Must be a Diamond-perk? Or?
Sounds like the courtesy upgrade they introduced last half a year. Still waiting on my first one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.