Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond. Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you dont need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:42 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by C_snapper
what will traffic be like on Sunday? will it be the dreaded california traffic, or it'll be pretty light?
I've been making that drive quite often lately (SFO area into the city around noon Sunday)... traffic has been moderate. Figure 10 minutes more than Google's recommendation.

If you have a data-capable phone, you can check traffic before you leave the rental car facility. You can either take 101 directly to the city or take 380 to 280 into the city, to avoid a backup.

Leaving the city Sunday night should be fairly light. The key here is that you don't have to cross any bridges, which are usually the worst part of Sunday night.

You're also doing quite a bit of driving inside the city, which can be confusing, because many streets have 90 degree turns downtown. Might actually be a good investment to add a GPS to the rental (and hide it in the glovebox).
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:05 pm

Location: Born in TPE, moved to America in 1978, now living in MSY since 1987.
I have a 17 hour layover at SFO on UA from MSY on March 28. This might be a stupid question but can I leave the terminal and take just my carry on with me so I could stay at my Cousin's house in Oakland and my checked luggage will still be sent to the final destination on UA's first flight to TPE (since October 2012)? UA wouldn't know if I left the airport and pull my luggage out?

On the return trip, I'm just gonna wait out the 10 hours and use the free pass at the SFO United Club until the evening flight back to MSY.

Last edited by apjung; Jan 29, 2014 at 10:24 pm
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:08 pm

Location: Born in TPE, moved to America in 1978, now living in MSY since 1987.
please delete this duplicate post

Last edited by apjung; Jan 29, 2014 at 10:14 pm Reason: please delete this duplicate post
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
For a short just over 3 hour layover, a couple of questions. Is Pier G separated (security wise) from the rest of the airport since I'm arriving and leaving from that pier? I pre clear immigration in Vancouver, so I won't be forced out of the security zone after immigration.

Anything worth to kill time in pier G - airplane spot, etc...? I'm worried about the mess that some US airports seem to have with security these days. I'm travelling in F (award) if that changes the security picture at all.

I have a long 10 layover on my way home but have already planned something.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
International-G is connected airside with Terminal 3F and 3E, so there are quite a few bars, restaurants, retailers and other businesses you can visit without exiting security. That said, you have so much time that I would consider venturing out landside in the international terminal. Check out the museum if time permits. http://www.flysfo.com/museum/aviatio...urs-directions
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Trying to start an at least once-in-a-while happy hour meetup sort of thing, seems worth mentioning in this thread too

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ur-thread.html
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
I have an upcoming transit in SFO from YYZ to HKG on AC753 (arrives 7:07pm) and SQ1 (Departs 1:15am). This is the first time I will be going thru SFO and I want to try and visit the city a bit. I know I'll clear US CBP in YYZ. Will i need to pick up my bags? Do I have enough time? How do I get to the downtown area and where should I go in the evening?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I don't know about bags?

Originally Posted by DreamHigh
I have an upcoming transit in SFO from YYZ to HKG on AC753 (arrives 7:07pm) and SQ1 (Departs 1:15am). This is the first time I will be going thru SFO and I want to try and visit the city a bit. I know I'll clear US CBP in YYZ. Will i need to pick up my bags? Do I have enough time? How do I get to the downtown area and where should I go in the evening?
Maybe some else will know. But you don't have a ton of time - do you want to try and get a meal? If you arrive at 7 and your bags get checked through you will have more time of course. Otherwise you will have to be back at SFO certainly by 11 PM or so.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:52 pm

I get into SFO at 830am on a Sunday and need to be back at the airport by 5pm. First time in San Fran and want to see a few landmarks and take a photo or two. Travelling solo with no bag, trying to keep it cheap.

I know I can take BART into the city. From that point, would it be recommended to take a hop-on/off bus or should I take transit on my own from tourist area to tourist area?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:24 pm

I'm not a fan of the hop on hop off bus is abd here they're very slow.

Lots of narrow streets to navigate at Cetera. What landmarks do you want to see? Knowing what is important to you would make it easier to give you advice!

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I get into SFO at 830am on a Sunday and need to be back at the airport by 5pm. First time in San Fran and want to see a few landmarks and take a photo or two. Travelling solo with no bag, trying to keep it cheap.

I know I can take BART into the city. From that point, would it be recommended to take a hop-on/off bus or should I take transit on my own from tourist area to tourist area?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by squeakr
Lots of narrow streets to navigate at Cetera. What landmarks do you want to see? Knowing what is important to you would make it easier to give you advice!
Thank you for the reply!

I'm happy with seeing Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz (just seeing it from land), fisherman's wharf, union square, and walking about downtown (CBD or otherwise busy area downtown).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:48 pm

If you just want to drive by various sites

You could rent a car for a day - I usually don't suggest that but if all you want to do is see some sites and not walk around that may be the easiest. You've got about 7 hours altogether so you could totally see everything.
Not sure what you want to see in Union Square - it's crowded, lots of construction which makes even walking a pain and it's a bunch of high end chain stores you can see anywhere. (IMHO)
Or take BART to downtown, Cable Car from Powell St up the hill, or F car (streetcar) to Fishermans Wharf, then Uber to GG bridge. From the Bridge - Uber to ?Maybe the Haight Ashbury - lots of restos and funky shops. Then a Bus back downtown to BART to the airport.

( I don't have a car anymore and use public transport and MUNI for everything)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Thank you for the reply!

I'm happy with seeing Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz (just seeing it from land), fisherman's wharf, union square, and walking about downtown (CBD or otherwise busy area downtown).
Just take BART to Montgomery or Embarcadero and walk up along the waterfront as far as you want. You could walk all the way to Crissy Field and then uber or bus back to BART. Easy walk if you like walking and are not in a rush. It's not a big city.
R likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I've got a 12 hour connection at SFO later this year (noon to midnight). I'm thinking about renting a car and heading down Skyline Blvd, grabbing a late lunch at Alice's Restaurant, cutting over to Pescadero and then coming back up the PCH. Figure I'll drop off the car between 8 and 9. I'll probably use Silvercar.

Silly idea? It's been years since I drove on Hwy 1 so I don't have a good sense of what speeds are like on that stretch to figure out if I'm leaving myself enough time to not be overly rushed.

I've been to SF many, many times so I don't have a ton of desire to head into the city.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:35 pm
R
formerly PrePress420

FYI, Half Moon Bay area along HWY 1, and HWY 92 back to SFO, has had a lot of build-up and there is a lot of traffic, so allow for that.
Otherwise, sounds like agood idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.