Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Happy Hour Thread

Plane Spotting

At SFO:
  • The new SFO outdoor observation deck “is located at the far end of the G side (United/Star Alliance) of the airport's international terminal. It will be open daily from 7:00 am until 11:30 pm “as of Wednesday, 6 Feb 2019. “Only passengers using Terminal 3 (United) and the International G-side will have access to it...The 2,997 square foot, roofless deck, offers expansive 180+ degree views of the ramp and runways on the north side of the airport and beyond.” Link to full article and slideshow from sfgate.
  • (TEMPORARILY CLOSED DUE TO COVID) the SFO Sky Terrace is landside (pre-security) in Terminal 2: "... open to the general public seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. There is no cost to enter and you don’t need a ticket or boarding pass. Visitors will undergo a security check. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted."
Outside SFO:
  • Assuming typical "West Plan" operations, Coyote Point Recreation Area (https://goo.gl/maps/DAUZv7A9bFS2) is an excellent location. There are a few overlooks on the trails by the water, depending what angle you want. Vehicular access is via Coyote Point Dr and costs $6 per vehicle.
  • For free alternatives consider parking at Ryder Park (https://goo.gl/maps/h48Dk8PhNGk) or Seal Point Park just down the street. There is a flat paved path between here and Coyote Point, although there are overhead power lines along the shore. (Coyote Point and Seal Point parks have unobstructed views however)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: Diamond HH, Gold Marriott, UA "Plebe"
Taking RT BART for 5.5hr. Layover at SFO

Will be flying IAH-SFO in May. Will be flying F on UA with Continental PC membership. Is there any storage (locked or unlocked) at UA RCC? I have a 5.5 hr. layover on the way to KOA, and thought I would take the BART to the Embacadero. If no storage at RCC, are there large lockers in SFO terminal 3?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by imssc1
Is there any storage (locked or unlocked) at UA RCC?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rpet-club.html
Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
All the RCC's (AFAIK) have luggage storage areas that are meant for you store stuff in while you're visiting. I don't think it would be a problem for you to leave yoru stuff there while you go downtown for a few hours. However they are not secured or monitored so you'd be leaving it there at your own risk.

Personally since you're continuing on to KOA I think you should just check your bags at IAH...that way UA will hold onto them for you. Maybe carry on something small and easy to carry like a knapsack with essentials.

Otherwise, according to flysfo.com, there are storage facilities available here:

Storage Facilities
Storage is exclusively available at the Airport Travel Agency. Items such as luggage, dog kennels, golf equipment, surf equipment, skis, bicycles and canoes may be stored. Prices vary according to item size, please contact the Airport Travel Agency for complete information.
International Terminal, Main Hall, pre-security
hours: daily, 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
phone: 650.877.0422
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Another option = find a hotel in downtown SF and tip the bellman well
Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Storage Facilities
Storage is exclusively available at the Airport Travel Agency. Items such as luggage, dog kennels, golf equipment, surf equipment, skis, bicycles and canoes may be stored. Prices vary according to item size, please contact the Airport Travel Agency for complete information.
International Terminal, Main Hall, pre-security
hours: daily, 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
phone: 650.877.0422
IIRC, this company is fairly expensive to store luggage. I looked at using them when I had a seven hour layover before I flew to SYD.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 9:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's a review on yelp from 2 weeks ago where a poster says he was charged $12 for a medium size bag.

Here's a 2008 price list that was posted on tripadvisor:

We have just arrived home.

I picked up the price list at SFO.

Here it goes:

Small purse or camera bag= $6

Suitcases from $8 to $12 and up

Oversize bags from $12 to $15 and up

Golf bags, skis from $12 to $15 and up

Surf equipment from $15 to $30 and up

Bicycle from $15 to $25 and up

Canoe, bass violin from $20 to $30 and up
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...alifornia.html
Old May 31, 2011, 2:06 pm

4.5-hour layover in SFO

Hi folks,

Is it advisable to slip into town on the BART and back to SFO on a 4.5-hour layover? Probably for a quick bite and some sightseeing, nothing fancy.

I arrive in SFO at 0930 and my connecting flight is at 1400.

I've searched this thread but found scant advice on <5-hour layovers.

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2011, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Backward
Hi folks,

Is it advisable to slip into town on the BART and back to SFO on a 4.5-hour layover? Probably for a quick bite and some sightseeing, nothing fancy.

I arrive in SFO at 0930 and my connecting flight is at 1400.

I've searched this thread but found scant advice on <5-hour layovers.

Thanks!
It's doable. I'd limit it to just lunch at the Ferry Building, which is a block from the Embarcadero Bart station. If all goes well, you'll have about an hour there.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:53 pm

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2011, 9:10 pm
SST

You could get a little extra time cushion by coming in only so far as 16th St and having lunch in the mission district at one of the taquerias (lots of restaurants around the station), or Powell Street (cable cars above the station.... decent food on the basement level of the San Francisco Centre, connected to the station. A lot open for food early, so you can get headed back at noon).

The ferry building, at Embarcadero, has the big farmer's market with plenty to munch on on Saturdays, and a smaller version of it on Thursday mornings.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 1:35 pm

Thanks SST, but when I got in, it was pouring, so I decided take a rain check!

Will note this for next time...
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by rjque
It's doable. I'd limit it to just lunch at the Ferry Building, which is a block from the Embarcadero Bart station. If all goes well, you'll have about an hour there.
I just did this on a whim, after planning to hang out at SFO. Landed at 5:40 pm, got to Ferry Building just over an hour later, enjoyed a dozen oysters and a glass of wine at an outdoor table overlooking the water at the Hog Island Oyster Company -- overpriced but delicious and fun. Was through security before 9. The BART ride is about 30 minutes.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:57 am

6 hour layover at SFO - need suggestions

My incoming SQ flight lands at 1115hrs and domestic connection on Horizon Air leaves at 1740hours. I will be arriving with luggage to check in and a hand carry bag. Since this is the first time I'm able to get out of SFO to the city, I'm hoping to grab lunch at the Ferry building or Fisherman's Wharf then head back to SFO. Oysters, clam chowder or crab sounds really good to me.

If you were in my shoes, how would you manage the check-in, what would you do with the bags and where would you go to eat? Suggestions please!

Last edited by WestofSIN; Jan 3, 2012 at 7:00 am Reason: Put in food cravings. :)
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
There's a baggage storage service in the international terminal (pre-security). Not sure how much they charge per hour.

You can take a taxi or BART to the Embarcadero to get to the Ferry Building. For Fisherman's Wharf you'll be better off taking a taxi.

Have fun.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
I hate to say this but I would not risk getting out to the city from AGO. Traffic is unpredictable and you may get stuck in traffic and miss your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.