Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
After about 30 visits to Al Mourjan this year, I had my first ever experience of Al Safwa this week, and, WOW, what a lounge. From the truly personalised service to the nap rooms to the genuinely first class wine selection, I was seriously impressed.

Perhaps the best thing about the place for me was the original Keith Haring artwork hanging on the wall to the right of the entrance. Clearly someone in Qatar Airways senior management has a wicked sense of irony!

I was even lucky enough to have my plane to Dubai changed to the 'all first class' A319. Which, with 4 passengers and 6 cabin crew on board, was predictably outstanding.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Hi guys! How may i reserve a nap room? Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:01 am

Jonathan Ppang nap rooms cannot be reserved. They are on a first come first served basis. However staff servicing them will usually have a waiting list.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Lounge access

Apologies if this has been answered but my family of four will be arriving from ORD in J and then two of us will be flying F to DXB while the other 2 are flying Y to DXB. Can our whole family (mom, dad, and two 7-year olds) access the First Class lounge or just the 2 of us in F? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:24 pm

batmandds welcome to the QR forum. You will find the dashboard a great help in getting answers rapidly.

Access to Al Safwa lounge is for holders of QR or OW first class boarding passes only. No guests are allowed. But you should be able to use the First Class lounge and invite guests. Regarding guests in the First class lounge, much depends upon your OW status since the lounge is primarily aimed at OWEs. Al Safwa has a much, much higher standard than the First class lounge.
If you are thinking that the two adults would travel in F and the two children in Y then you can almost certainly forget it! It is very unlikely that QR would permit two unaccompanied seven year old children to travel alone!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by remdk
batmandds welcome to the QR forum. You will find the dashboard a great help in getting answers rapidly.

Access to Al Safwa lounge is for holders of QR or OW first class boarding passes only. No guests are allowed. But you should be able to use the First Class lounge and invite guests. Regarding guests in the First class lounge, much depends upon your OW status since the lounge is primarily aimed at OWEs. Al Safwa has a much, much higher standard than the First class lounge.
If you are thinking that the two adults would travel in F and the two children in Y then you can almost certainly forget it! It is very unlikely that QR would permit two unaccompanied seven year old children to travel alone!
Thanks for your help! We are definitely splitting up so my lovely wife will be in Y with one child.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by batmandds
Apologies if this has been answered but my family of four will be arriving from ORD in J and then two of us will be flying F to DXB while the other 2 are flying Y to DXB. Can our whole family (mom, dad, and two 7-year olds) access the First Class lounge or just the 2 of us in F? Thanks in advance.
On one occasion I have seen an adult F passenger (European) get access to Al Safwa with his children travelling in economy . He did appear to be the only adult . Sadly his behaviour in the lounge.... There was no one at the bar and he kicked off as his children were dehydrating perhaps about to die ,and on the flight he was nothing short of embarrassing " vocally to FA "are you offering a service on this flight ? I've had no towel or welcome drink !" . but his DYKWIA attitude got his kids into al safwa and into the F cabin for disembarking . YMMV
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

chance to get a nap room

We would be arriving from DXB around 8:30pm and then departing to BKK at 3am (both flights are in F) - is there a good chance to get a nap room between 11pm and 2am for a few hours of napping? (assuming we first go eat after entering the lounge).
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:29 pm

Happy that is the peak time at the lounge so I would suggest you try to get a nap room and then go and eat. You should be given a key to the room so that is possible.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remdk
Happy that is the peak time at the lounge so I would suggest you try to get a nap room and then go and eat. You should be given a key to the room so that is possible.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Will try to secure a nap room first then.

Other than the nap room, is there some quiet area with low light and comfy chairs in the lounge?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by stargold
Quite simply the F->J connection means you hold a business class boarding pass for departure from DOH, and this is the primary determinant of which lounge you can access.

The reverse is true for J->F - you hold an F boarding pass out of DOH, so you can use Safwa.

Long-haul incoming F is a specific exception which overrides the default position.
I wanted to check that the exception noted above would hold true for SYD-DOH-LHR when SYD-DOH is in first and DOH-LHR is in business. It seems that it would, however the Wiki does not mention Sydney. Any recent experience or positive confirmation would be appreciated!
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:56 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Microwave
I wanted to check that the exception noted above would hold true for SYD-DOH-LHR when SYD-DOH is in first and DOH-LHR is in business. It seems that it would, however the Wiki does not mention Sydney. Any recent experience or positive confirmation would be appreciated!
It will hold true, and you will have access to the Al Safwa Lounge after your flight in from SYD.

Do keep your SYD-DOH boarding pass in your pocket, just in case the Lounge Reception team question you.

M
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Perfect. Ta!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:01 am

Microwave thank you for pointing out the missing destinations on the list of longhaul First destinations. I have already updated the Wiki to show the true state.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Got redirected to al Safwa from al Mourjan today because of "renovations". Other passengers at al Safwa were being redirected the other way for being at the wrong lounge, so al M wasn't completely closed. I'm QR plat, probably made the difference.

Flying in business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.