Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways Launches Free Doha City Tour For Transit Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: remdk
Trip report of the tour with pictures and answers to some ambiguity.

http://focusedflyer.com/2016/01/06/qatar-airways-free-doha-city-tour-review/

In post 135 of this thread Brighterside suggests that the free tours have been replaced by tours costing QAR 40. This has yet to be confirmed but be warned that changes may be happening right now.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways Launches Free Doha City Tour For Transit Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:19 am

can i just check if anyone has any experience leaving the tour half way. meaning one registers for the tour, then paid for the visa, then after the tour, head to marriott for own travel plan.

is this possible?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:08 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by tboons
can i just check if anyone has any experience leaving the tour half way. meaning one registers for the tour, then paid for the visa, then after the tour, head to marriott for own travel plan.

is this possible?
Probably not. You don't pay for the visa, but that means you need to get back with the tour. If you're asking whether you can choose to pay for the visa yourself and still take the tour: that might be, but the guy there seemed a bit.. clueless.. to me, so don't expect too much.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by arabiamark
To answer my own question, no you can't leave the tour in the middle. It's because of not having a visa. If a passenger ever went missing the people who run the tour would be in big trouble.

I did the 7 pm tour. At this time, immigration is quite busy. Surprisingly (or not surprisingly for those of us familiar with this part of the world), the tour hasn't coordinated with immigration to fast track people through. So it's possible that a large part of the 3 hours allotted for the tour could get eaten up standing in the passport line. In our case the tour guide found a friendly immigration officer who opened up a special booth for us.

It can also be a problem if the bus gets stuck in traffic. In our case we had to cut out one stop and the last stop at Souq Waqif was very brief.

Anyway, it's a good diversion if you have a long layover.
Did the tour last week and there is a now fast track, using gcc and local lines, for the passengers on it. We were brought to the front of the smallish q and it was really a very nicely conducted tour, enjoyed the sights and sounds of Doha. Absolutely worth going on any layover more than 6 hours.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:50 am

Anyone try joining this tour with a 12-hour overnight layover after staying at a landside hotel? I'm arriving midnight and departing 12:30 PM for 12.5 hours of layover time. Since they are not providing a hotel, I booked a room in Doha. Was thinking of going back to the airport and catching the morning tour, if possible.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:18 am

Hello all, may I know if the complimentary tour is still available now?

Thanks very much!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
I went through DOH a few days ago and there certainly was a desk and signs for the Doha city tour in the transit area. It was in the middle of the night, so it was not staffed, but I am pretty sure they still have it.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by B-HXG
Hello all, may I know if the complimentary tour is still available now?

Thanks very much!
Yes we did it on 22nd March and it helped break up an 8 hour layover ....Shame it was raining mind .
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Is it available for miles reward passengers in J?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:31 pm

If you look at http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...city-tour.page you will see the following:-
Terms & Conditions
Prebooking is not required.
The tour will take approximately two hours and 45 minutes and visit the Museum of Islamic Art, Katara Cultural Centre, the Pearl-Qatar, and Souq Waqif.
An English speaking guide will accompany the tour and guests will be provided with a bottle of mineral water.
Eligibility is subject to immigration approval and is available on a first come, first served basis.
The tour is available to customers with a transit time of 5-12 hours who arrive in Doha between 04:00-19:00 local time (GMT +3).
Additional terms and conditions apply. Please check with the Doha City Tour staff for eligibility.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by iztok
Is it available for miles reward passengers in J?
Yes, we took the city tour during an US award booking flying QR J. You also have access to the Al Mourjan lounge.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Possible to combine with STPC

I'm arriving at 5 pm on May 1st and already have STPC arranged, is it possible to combine the STPC with Free Transit Tour?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Anyone had any luck with visa that is not from the countries listed? I.e. I have Slovenian passport (European Union).
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:33 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by DELANRDFW
I'm arriving at 5 pm on May 1st and already have STPC arranged, is it possible to combine the STPC with Free Transit Tour?
combination might be difficult since the two are handled separately...
For STPC you don't go through transfer security screening, but head to the transfer accommodation counter -> Al Maha -> hotel

For the city tour you usually go through security and then to the city tour counter. I imagine it's too much for them to combine.

But at that time of day, I suggest you just head out on your own, either to the museum of islamic art if it's still open, or to suq waqif for evening stroll and dinner. The suq is basically the highlight of the city tour, but with limited time there - so just do it on your own and take as long as you want/have some food if anything seems appealing.

Last edited by zehbra; Apr 9, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
If you look at http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...city-tour.page you will see the following:-
Terms & Conditions
Prebooking is not required.
The tour will take approximately two hours and 45 minutes and visit the Museum of Islamic Art, Katara Cultural Centre, the Pearl-Qatar, and Souq Waqif.
An English speaking guide will accompany the tour and guests will be provided with a bottle of mineral water.
Eligibility is subject to immigration approval and is available on a first come, first served basis.
The tour is available to customers with a transit time of 5-12 hours who arrive in Doha between 04:00-19:00 local time (GMT +3).
Additional terms and conditions apply. Please check with the Doha City Tour staff for eligibility.
Thank you very much everyone!
May I know if there is a fixed departure time for the tour? Or I can just go at anytime between 4am to 7pm?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by B-HXG
Thank you very much everyone!
May I know if there is a fixed departure time for the tour? Or I can just go at anytime between 4am to 7pm?
Read post 28 of this thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.