Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways Launches Free Doha City Tour For Transit Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: remdk
Trip report of the tour with pictures and answers to some ambiguity.

http://focusedflyer.com/2016/01/06/qatar-airways-free-doha-city-tour-review/

In post 135 of this thread Brighterside suggests that the free tours have been replaced by tours costing QAR 40. This has yet to be confirmed but be warned that changes may be happening right now.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways Launches Free Doha City Tour For Transit Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 4:03 pm

cheltzel for nationals of 80 countries visas are no longer required. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...zens-80-2.html for more details. If your nationality is not mentioned then you may be able to use http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...hour-visa.html or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...er-2017-a.html.

But in the case of the free city tour I am sure that visas would only be issued if required for the duration of the tour. For visa free citizens however I am also sure that they will be registered for the tour and be subject to the same restrictions as previously (not leaving the tour before reaching the departure areas of the airport again etc.).
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by remdk
cheltzel for nationals of 80 countries visas are no longer required. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...zens-80-2.html for more details. If your nationality is not mentioned then you may be able to use http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...hour-visa.html or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...er-2017-a.html.

But in the case of the free city tour I am sure that visas would only be issued if required for the duration of the tour. For visa free citizens however I am also sure that they will be registered for the tour and be subject to the same restrictions as previously (not leaving the tour before reaching the departure areas of the airport again etc.).
That is what I thought the announcement meant. Thank you for confirming it.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold HH Diamond
Have a 10 hour layover (16.10 - 02.25) flying QR in and out in J and am undecided how to spend that time, -even after reviewing this thread and the STPC one. Would really welcome suggestions from those better informed than I.

Don't wish to spend those 10 hours in the terminal. My body clock is UK so to me those 10 hours will be pm and evening so sleeping is not a priority. Besides, my departure is the v long haul to AKL so plenty of time for shut-eye on that leg.

The free guided tour doesn't entirely float my boat. Am attracted more to a freestyle approach. Perhaps the STPC to get me out of the airport then use the assigned hotel as a base?

Or maybe another approach that hasn't yet occurred to me?

Whatever, your advice and suggestions very much welcomed.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:18 am

......Just seen QR free transit visa - DIY Doha night tour? which pretty much addresses my situation. But feel free anyone to suggest other options.....
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:41 am

G-ARVE if you are flying from LHR then you would not qualify for STPC since there are later, and shorter connections.
One suggestion would be to do your own thing. See qr-free-transit-visa-diy-doha-night-tour for inspiration.
One word of caution: The visa rules have changed since the thread was developed. For passport holders of 80 countries visas are no longer required. See visa free arrival for details. Here you should note it is the nationality of the passport you are travelling on that is used to determine your status. If you do not qualify then you can use the free transit visa Qatar free 96 hour transit visa has the details. You need to apply in good time before arrival.
The free city tour may be difficult because the last tour of the day is very popular and often full. It is on a first come first served basis and there are a limited number of places available.

Last edited by remdk; Nov 4, 2017 at 2:47 pm Reason: corrected link
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
G-ARVE if you are flying from LHR then you would not qualify for STPC since there are later, and shorter connections.
One suggestion would be to do your own thing. See qr-free-transit-visa-diy-doha-night-tour for inspiration.
One word of caution: The visa rules have changed since the thread was developed. For passport holders of 80 countries visas are no longer required. See Qatar free 96 hour transit visa has the details. You need to apply in good time before arrival.
The free city tour may be difficult because the last tour of the day is very popular and often full. It is on a first come first served basis and there are a limited number of places available.
Thanks for the info. Am coming from OSL so do qualify for STPC. My thinking is that it's a toss-up twixt that and +Qatar, though may not qualify for the latter because my transit is 10 hours not 12. Not sure I want to do the organised tour.

Might go for the +Qatar and if that is rejected then try the STPC.

I understand visas are no longer an issue for a UK passport.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:46 pm

G-ARVE since you are departing on Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday (dates would have been helpful) you qualify for STPC. You do not qualify for +Qatar since your transit is under 12 hours. That said the rules for +Qatar seem to be interpreted in a very relaxed fashion so you may get lucky!

Sorry there was a typo in a link in my previous post which removed important parts of the post. It is now corrected. There was a link to the list of visa free countries, which includes UK.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by G-ARVE
Thanks for the info. Am coming from OSL so do qualify for STPC. My thinking is that it's a toss-up twixt that and +Qatar, though may not qualify for the latter because my transit is 10 hours not 12. Not sure I want to do the organised tour.

Might go for the +Qatar and if that is rejected then try the STPC.

I understand visas are no longer an issue for a UK passport.
Just do your own tour! Grab a taxi to either the Souq or MIA (you can walk between both). It will be evening so the best time to visit. You can also walk along the corniche and take a quick Dhow trip. Evening weather is fantastic right now. Plus no Visa fee anymore for UK passport holders.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:42 am

I did the tour a few weeks ago and while it was interesting it was also hot as hell (30C°) and we only had 15~20min free time for pictures and stuff and ~30min walk around the Souk.
Wish I could've visited the skyscrapers area instead

​​​​​​I also suggest you do your own thing if you have that much time!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:33 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Had the same decision to make for our ARN-DOH-AKL in J next week. Figured some food in the arrivals longe, a laze around in the hotel pool and a nap, leaving for the airport about 11pm would pass the time better. Also, there is a chance the tour will be booked up, there was a line for it last time I was in the airport.

We've been given a room in the Movenpick hotel (the better one). Could anyone tell me if we will be given a car both ways, or have to use a shuttle bus that stops at several hotels? Thx
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by EccTama
... it was also hot as hell (30C°) ....
Oh, my! I gather that you haven't spent a lot of time in SEAsia, say, Bangkok.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Oh, my! I gather that you haven't spent a lot of time in SEAsia, say, Bangkok.
Haha not really! I've only been to Taiwan and it was 28° with 80% humidity... In April. Which is enough SEA for me for a while
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Haha not really! I've only been to Taiwan and it was 28° with 80% humidity... In April. Which is enough SEA for me for a while
HA!! Bangkok in April? Add 10º or more, but not as much humidity.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:11 pm

I did the tour a few weeks ago and while it was interesting it was also hot as hell (30C°)
30 degrees? That's like a beautiful winters day here in Doha!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I did the tour a few weeks ago and while it was interesting it was also hot as hell (30C°)
Probably not so much the temperature as the fierceness of the sun.

Temperatures don't drop all that much in the evening, but we are starting the period when that is a delightful time for walking the corniche

I could've visited the skyscrapers area instead
Probably just as well you were spared that. It's not pedestrian friendly, and really only interesting if you're on the upper floors of one of the skyscrapers. Otherwise, much better admired from afar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.