Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways Launches Free Doha City Tour For Transit Passengers

Old Jan 6, 16, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: remdk
Trip report of the tour with pictures and answers to some ambiguity.

http://focusedflyer.com/2016/01/06/qatar-airways-free-doha-city-tour-review/

In post 135 of this thread Brighterside suggests that the free tours have been replaced by tours costing QAR 40. This has yet to be confirmed but be warned that changes may be happening right now.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways Launches Free Doha City Tour For Transit Passengers

Old Mar 16, 16, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
As there is mixed reports I guess on this tour, and having around 11 hours in transit (afternoon through to early hours in morning) do you think just paying 770 local notes for the transit hotel makes better sense for up to 8 hours..
Old Mar 17, 16, 6:34 am

What is the realistic chance to make 8 pm tour for a couple in J who's arrival time is 5:35 pm from JFK on Thur?
Old Mar 17, 16, 9:57 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by kiyotaka View Post
What is the realistic chance to make 8 pm tour for a couple in J who's arrival time is 5:35 pm from JFK on Thur?
Are you looking for someone to blame if you don't make it
50 - 50, look at the post above your first post in this thread, the op hit the booking desk at 6pm and missed out.
J doesn't help secure a place on the tour.
J does help you get off the plane quicker, and to the tour desk quicker.

As said, the presence of this free tour has made its way onto Tripadvisor.
Good luck.
Old Mar 18, 16, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by w000t View Post
tried to sign up for the tour the other day but the agent said I was ineligible as my ticket was not ticketed by QR (i was on an AA award). oh well, ended up paying for the visa and went into town myself
Is this true? Anyone with the same experience?
Old Mar 18, 16, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH DIAMOND IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G)
Originally Posted by RiBeag View Post
Is this true? Anyone with the same experience?
Mine was on an AA award and had no issues

Was your boarding pass issued by AA? Maybe that confused a clueless agent? If something like this happened, I would complain with the lounge manager.

Last edited by palermo; Mar 20, 16 at 5:19 pm
Old Mar 19, 16, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Is the tour busier in certain seasons? I am travelling in December, landing from IAH at 1800 and taking off to JNB at 0245.
Based on what I'm reading here I have a cat in hell's chance of getting on the evening tour, right?
If so, what would you recommend as an independent tour option within a reasonable cab ride from the airport? I am just looking for some fresh air and a decent dinner, after 15 hours in a metal tube. Somewhere down by the waterside maybe?
Old Mar 19, 16, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by palermo View Post
Thanks for clarifying!
Old Mar 30, 16, 1:49 pm

If my inbound is not on QR but the outbound is, would i still be eligible for a free tour?
Old Mar 30, 16, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by kaiotes View Post
If my inbound is not on QR but the outbound is, would i still be eligible for a free tour?
According to the TR which is linked in the wiki, you will not be eligible:

You must be flying both the inbound and outbound flights on Qatar Airway, regardless of class of service.
Old Mar 31, 16, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by palermo View Post

Was your boarding pass issued by AA? Maybe that confused a clueless agent? If something like this happened, I would complain with the lounge manager.
no, it was on QR F card stock. i was connecting from a QR J flight with a forced 18 hour connection onto a QR F DOH-DXB flight. the person manning the desk looked at the e-ticket number printed at the bottom of the boarding pass and said I was not eligible as it was not a ticket issued by QR. didn't fight it, who knows if she was making up the rules or maybe I got agent that was actually enforcing the rules
Old May 29, 16, 1:37 am

Any chance on taking this tour if you fly into Doha on Qatar but leave on Ethiad to AUH (less than 24hours). Or am I correct that I would have two problems?
Old Jun 21, 16, 10:23 am

Went to the desk and 6pm.it was full. Asked about standby and rejected. No standby. Lesson learnt, do not choose a longer transit just for the tour. Now am stuck at the lounge.
Old Jun 21, 16, 10:43 am

tboons there are a number of postings on this thread that state that the 8pm tour is heavily booked and many are disappointed. So arriving at 6pm when reservations have been open for an hour is very risky. There are posts that say they have succeeded but there are many more that have failed to get on that tour.
Like many others you took a chance and lost. Sorry but that is the way it works.
Old Jun 21, 16, 10:49 am

Registration for 8pm tour opens 4pm. This is usually "full" but the bus still has plenty of seats available as per my experience.
Old Jun 21, 16, 3:07 pm

I went out in my own by taking public buses. There are two buses which goes from Airport to bus terminal in Doha and it's just next to the Souq. Bus 747 and 109. The trip takes about 25 to 30nins with no jam. I thought the souq will be interesting during Ramadan but unfortunately, it's kind of too touristy. Had a better experience in Amman.

So if anyone has long transit, can use the buses. Quite a good experience. After arrival, turn right to the end and exit there are coach berths and look for 109 or 747.

Search this Thread