Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas "challenge" to reinstate expired points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:28 am
ATD
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.

Hi, I was dismayed to find that my admittedly smallish number of QF points had recently expired without warning. I had used to keep it alive via Optus or Woolies.

Anyhow, I called Qantas to see what could be done and was offered a "challenge": earn at least 2000 points from two sources in the next six months, call in to report this, and they would reinstate my expired points.

For my son (8), it was 600 points from one source.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but thought to share if it helps anyone in a similar situation.

--ATD
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Thankyou for posting, it's good to se the challenge still is available.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: qantas frequent flyer
Hi ATD,

Any good news with your points regarding the reinstated points so far? It just happened to me yesterday when I checked my email that I was so shocked that all my points has expired on 30 June 2017. No warning.

I had lost my points for the first time in the past year and got them back and keep the account active by joining Wollies reward. Since then, I always check my Qantas newsletter from my email to see my points still there (without log into the QantasFF account). I always check any expiry notice (in fine print). I also kept all the Qantas Point Balance Newsletter. Coincident or not, when I checked my email yesterday, I did not have the email from QantasFF for Month of May and June. (The month where the expiry notice likely to be sent).

Just yesterday after reading all the problem with expired Qantas points, that I also realise while I keep shopping at Wollies, no points has been transferred into the Qantas as Wollies has changed their program.

So today I spoke with the Qantas FF, they offer me the reinstated points within next six months from 2 sources. I wonder if it has work with you and whether you have get your points back already. Any advice for the 2 sources?

Thank you ATD.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Qantas cash card? Your frequent flyer card basically. Booking activities via Qantas website which covers non Australian regions also. Epiqure wine? Credit card sign up? Rental car?

Did you have enough Woollies points to transfer to Qantas? I thought they had reinstated this but it's a tougher earn.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Here's a good way to keep points ticking over and earn 2000 points:
LINK
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:01 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by Granlor
Here's a good way to keep points ticking over and earn 2000 points:
LINK
Too late, the Qantas link has now removed the offer to update your QFF details and earn points.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:54 pm

Qantas points expiry

Hi guys, I've had a similar issue with my Qantas points expiring this year without any prior email warning me.

I had an email in 2015 warning me my points would expire within a month, so I topped up my account to keep the points active.

Roll on to 2017, I didn't get the email this time. I lost 60,000 points!

I talked to Qantas & they say that an email was sent & that they can't resend the email as proof, as I requested. I recovered all emails dating back to February 2017 (the points expiry email should've been sent at the start of March - points expired March 31). The earliest recovered email from Qantas was in May. So no emails in Feb/Mar/Apr!

I then contacted the Airline Customer Advocate & they apparently fought for me, but Qantas wouldn't budge, as apparently it's my responsibility to keep tabs on my account. That's fair enough, but I'm supposed to get email notifications, like the first time my points were about to expire in 2015.

Can anyone tell me if they've been in a similar situation?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:07 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by Matthew Covich
Hi guys, I've had a similar issue with my Qantas points expiring this year without any prior email warning me.

I had an email in 2015 warning me my points would expire within a month, so I topped up my account to keep the points active.

I talked to Qantas & they say that an email was sent & that they can't resend the email as proof, as I requested. I recovered all emails dating back to February 2017 (the points expiry email should've been sent at the start of March - points expired March 31). The earliest recovered email from Qantas was in May. So no emails in Feb/Mar/Apr!

I then contacted the Airline Customer Advocate & they apparently fought for me, but Qantas wouldn't budge, as apparently it's my responsibility to keep tabs on my account. That's fair enough, but I'm supposed to get email notifications, like the first time my points were about to expire in 2015.

Why aren't you a little bit proactive in ensuring your points don't expire?

With only one forced activity to your account over three years QFF probably isn't the program for you.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:47 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Regarding post #8 , Its quite reasonable to have FF accounts with multiple airlines - particulsrly as you churn through programs after you start disliking a program for whatever reason.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I had an email in 2015 warning me my points would expire within a month, so I topped up my account to keep the points active.

You will get little sympathy here.
From the 2015 email you now how the ffp works with expiry. So no eligible activity in 3 years.
From your profile you are in NZ. A JQ NZ domestic flight would have earned QF points (For JQ NZ do not need a bundle to get QF points)

Did you have an activity with a QF partner (car, hotel, etc) that you may be able to retro claim?

This thread has links to other threads on this topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...0k-points.html
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:23 am

What happened to you and alp0k4t has also happened to me. No emails from Qantas at all between May-July so no notification about points expiring, but come August, I find that all my points have already expired. Checked with Qantas and they say that the system sent out (nowhere to be seen) emails in May. Sounds like something's a tad iffy with the Qantas FF system. They've offered me the challenge for completion in 6 months. You should ask for it too.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:50 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by goldy999
What happened to you and alp0k4t has also happened to me. No emails from Qantas at all between May-July so no notification about points expiring, but come August, I find that all my points have already expired. Checked with Qantas and they say that the system sent out (nowhere to be seen) emails in May. Sounds like something's a tad iffy with the Qantas FF system. They've offered me the challenge for completion in 6 months. You should ask for it too.
Hi goldy999. Welcome to FT.

It sounds like QF now has system for addressing the expired points issues. A challenge as described seems a reasonable solution for people who are not regularly crediting activity to their QF FF account. Is the challenge to just credit some points - somehow, or is there a specific target?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:46 am

I just unknowingly lost 234,017 points in June 30th without proper warning, paying 2 x ANZ Frequent flyer credit cards fees since 2002-2015 and spending 100;s of thousands of dollars to accrue these points, I'm not happy. How I found out they had expired, was my friends father died 2nd August, so I was going to use points to fly to funeral on 7th August, that's when I seen it was zero, so after I contacted them, that's when they said about inactivity in 18 months, that I didn't know.
So I contacted ACCC, and they said before they take on my case to contact ACA "Airline Customer Advocate" so I did on 3rd August, haven't heard anything, so not holding my breath, as apparently this department is funded by the Airlines, so could be biased. In the meantime I've been going back and forth with QFF department, me arguing that they only sent me a monthly Newsletter and in the smallest black deceiving writing in newsletter when points expire, no one would see this, only if they was looking for it, as everything else in newsletter is Big Bold bright colours/pictures that distracts you away of the most important information, is points, they should of sent a proper expiry email, stating in subject line, warning of expiry, but no, they hide it in newsletter, what a joke. We'll I'm going to give them a long hard time, as they keep changing the story, every different person that responses to my emails, as this fiasco has been going on for a month now and I'm not giving up, they also said about the points challenge, but we shouldn't have to do this, as its there deceiving points correspondence that's unacceptable that's caused a lot of members problems, they've phoned me twice this week and the incompetent person on the other end frustrated me and I hung up, as they didn't even know the points procedure. If ACA don't resolve it, I'll be contacting ACCC and see what next to do, maybe Office of Fair Trading. I got hold of apparently Alan Joyce email address and sent him a email last night on what's going on,( it didn't bounce back and I got a "Read Reply" this morning that it was read at 5.04am, so see if its ligate) and wanting to put a formal complaint against Qantas Frequent Flyer program about how deceiving this program is about points expiry correspondence and the incompetent of staff, so we'll see how I go there, If ACCC cant do anything and the last resort is I'll be contacting Channel 7 news and tell them what's happened and I'll send them my Monthly Newsletter that's has in the smallest black writing on page about expiry.
Everyone that has had the same points expiry should contact the ACCC and let them know, as If everyone does it, they will then act on our behalf, as I ask if anyone else has reported this problem and he said he hasn't heard, as I'm not giving up until I get my points back and to make sure QFF send everyone of there members a proper email stating specifically about points expiry and not hide it in newsletters so they can rip us off.

Last edited by Brewy; Sep 1, 2017 at 4:54 am
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brewy
I just unknowingly lost 234,017 points in June 30th without proper warning, paying 2 x ANZ Frequent flyer credit cards fees since 2002-2015 and spending 100's of thousands of dollars to accrue these points....
The rules of the QF Frequent Flyer program rules are in the web site. They have had the 18 month no activity clause for a very long time. Its not hard to get 1 or more QFF points every 18 months: even flying on QF gets a point. @:-)
ACCC, Office of Fair Trading, Channel 7, AJ and others will do nothing as you have not complied with the t&c's.

Many airline ffp's have a similar no activity clause. And other have a use them or lose them clause (fixed expiry).

Edit: Another thread on losing QF points
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...0k-points.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 1, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The rules may be all well and good, but about two years ago Qantas began to obfuscate that a member's points were soon to expire.

They removed the last activity date indication from Qantas.com and buried the notification at the bottom of the monthly emailed statement that looks more like junk emal/spam.

I suspect if were not for these there would be no 'challenge'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.