Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It might not be worth paying to renew the passport when the time comes unless you have definite international travel planned, particularly if you tend to purchase tickets far in advance to save money. Even expired USA passports can be renewed for at least several years using the standard mail procedure.
Yep, you can renew by mail as long as the passport was issued within the last 15 years to a bearer who was at least 16. For 98% of cases, this means you can renew by mail 5 years after the passport expires.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I think renewing your passport is a very good idea. It is always good to have a valid passport just in case you decide to go on a last minute trip to Switzerland. In 2017, around May, I suggest going to a post office where you can renew your passport. You will have to have new pictures taken, which you can do at a CVS. Bring your old passport with you. It will be returned with your new passport.
He can just do it by mail which is much easier, as long as his name hasn't changed or he wasn't a minor when his last passport was issued.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
He can just do it by mail which is much easier, as long as his name hasn't changed or he wasn't a minor when his last passport was issued.
Exactly. Going to the main post office in person and waiting in line is required when applying for one's first passport.

However, if you need the new passport quickly or if you're nervous about following the instructions to renew by mail, you can easily go to a passport agency to take care of this efficiently.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hi All,

We just sent it out my passport by last week. So they already got it over last Sunday. So now, the passport application is being processed. So I can't wear a glass? We went to Walgreens to take a passport photos. Is that new rules for glasses? So I can't wear it or should I keep it on?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:59 am

trusted to provide own pics

i find it interesting that your country trusts the citizen to provide the pictures.

some insist that all images be taken on official state cameras and computers.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi All,

So I can't wear a glass? We went to Walgreens to take a passport photos. Is that new rules for glasses? So I can't wear it or should I keep it on?
Really? How hard is this?
No glasses in US passport photos since November 2016.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:49 am

Whilst many countries in Europe only require a passport valid for your length of stay (from the British FCO so may only apply to UK passports), airlines may not let you board if you have less than 6 months validity.

Hi All,

We just sent it out my passport by last week. So they already got it over last Sunday. So now, the passport application is being processed. So I can't wear a glass? We went to Walgreens to take a passport photos. Is that new rules for glasses? So I can't wear it or should I keep it on?
Don't know about American passports, but British ones don't let you wear glasses
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is folly not to renew your passport in a timely manner such that it is always valid for any travel which you might possibly require.

FT is full of examples from people who suddenly require international travel, require travel to a country which has lengthy expiration deadlines, want to expand an existing trip to include such a country, and so on.

While it is possible to obtain a passport on the day of travel in an emergency, that requires a physical trip to a Passport Agency. The closest PAs for OP are in Los Angeles & San Diego.

So, yes, you can obtain a quick passport, but it causes a lot of stress, may cost an eye-popping amount of money (for travel to a PA) and is disruptive in the extreme.

Just keep your passport on a schedule where it is renewed such that you always have at least 6 months left and you won't go wrong.

As an arithmetic matter, this will cost you a few dollars over a lifetime, but that pales against the cost of just one emergency effort.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Generally speaking, if you travel internationally for work or have relatives/business outside the US that might require a last-minute flight, then always us a Passport Agency office. Whether you mail your passport out after it expires or a year early, it's still out of your hands and unavailable for a few weeks. It's not stressful to set up an appointment a week or two in advance at an office, go in, drop off your paperwork and current passport, then either wait for it or come back 1-3 days later for pickup.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by frobozzelectric
i find it interesting that your country trusts the citizen to provide the pictures.

some insist that all images be taken on official state cameras and computers.
Everyone does their first passport application at a Post Office or other facility in person. That's where they verify that the photo is you. After the first one, on renewal, they just match the new photo submitted with your renewal app to the photo on your old passport.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:10 am

convenient

my that is absolutely convenient.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Yes, they did. Because it's new rules. You can't wear glasses. It was too hard to see, but my eyes can barely see it. I still wear a glasses.

Originally Posted by nmh1204
Don't know about American passports, but British ones don't let you wear glasses
Yes, because it's new rules. You can't wear a glasses, but it was too hard to see.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by nmh1204
Not true.

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

You can’t wear sunglasses or tinted glasses. You can wear reading glasses but your eyes must show fully through clear lenses without glare or reflections.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:11 pm

Yes, they did. Because it's new rules. You can't wear glasses. It was too hard to see, but my eyes can barely see it. I still wear a glasses.

Yes, because it's new rules. You can't wear a glasses, but it was too hard to see.
Too hard to see what? You stand in front of a white backdrop, take your glasses off, someone takes the photo, you put your glasses back on.

Were you trying to take your own passport photo or something?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Those are the requirements for a VISA photo not a passport photo:

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ts/photos.html

That said passport photos also mention no glass.

As to why is is hard? Because many of us have renewed passports multiple times and the rules have changed recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.