Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:56 pm

Thanks all, I'll send in an expedited renewal and post a reply about how long it takes when I get the new passport.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by randywvt
Thanks all, I'll send in an expedited renewal and post a reply about how long it takes when I get the new passport.
This busy thread on passport turnaround would be a good place to offer feedback: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/...port-wait.html
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Many countries demand 6 months remaining validity of passport to enter. That routine effectively cuts dow a 5 year passport to 4.5+ years
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pinniped
This. We're 4 weeks out, might as well renew it now while you can still do it with an expedite process that isn't one of those in-person processes.

It's the check-in agent that worries me the most. We've had cases here on FT where an internal airline rule is showing an incorrect thing, the passenger knows the correct law, and the passenger can't convince the check-in agent to look at TIMATIC or do whatever he/she needs to do to validate it. Passenger is correct, but still misses the flight.

I worry less about the border agent, assuming you are in fact following their laws.
It's quick and easy to do in person at a passport agency if there's one near where you live.

However, if OP will renew by mail, there are big advantages is doing this now during low season rather than waiting to late spring.

Since OP will need to renew the passport anyway--unless he/she is certain that this is the last foreign trip that he/she will ever take,and even then the passport is handy for ID and to prove citizenship, for example upon being hired by a new employer--I would suggest doing the renewal "early" to avoid the risk that some airline GA will insist that every country requires six months validity or that the requirement is three months beyond the last day you could leave without being required to have a visa. Unfortunately, for many GAs, their personal "beliefs" about entry requirements trump what TIMATIC says, even if we assume that they know how to use TIMATIC properly.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by onobond
Many countries demand 6 months remaining validity of passport to enter. That routine effectively cuts dow a 5 year passport to 4.5+ years
You forgot the months you lose when renewing (since you won't renew the day before you're supposed to leave). That said the cost of a new passport is in most cases negligent compared to the expenses one has while traveling.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by onobond
US passports are good for 10 years except when issued to children under 16. Renewing every 9.5 years instead of 10 is a nonissue for me. Last time I renewed it earlier than that anyway because it filled up.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I'm waiting to hear how long this takes. My passport expires mid 2020. So I'm thinking ahead now, when do I need to renew my passport?

PS - You need new photos for the renewal, yes? This is my first passport. I've never renewed one before.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
My passport expires mid 2020. ... when do I need to renew my passport?
You can renew at any time, as far as I know. Some people renew years ahead of expiration, for a variety of reasons: passport is about to be damaged through use beyond acceptable condition, passport is out of pages, or one is about to get a multi-year visa from another country that's valid only in the passport it's affixed to.

PS - You need new photos for the renewal, yes?
Yes.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
There are dozens of situations here on FT where people have played this particular situation just a bit short.
I don't remember ever reading of one, nor could I find one via search just now. There are lots of cases of people being improperly denied boarding due to mis-interpretation of passport rules, but none related to passport expiration that I could find. There are lots of posts above that refer to some other set of these posts, along with general advice to not take the risk, but the situations of it actually having been a problem seem few and far between, if any. Personally, I would not worry about it. At least on the major US carriers, I would expect the passport expiration rules to be enforced by computer, so as not to allow for agent error. A side benefit of this is that an agent is less likely to make up their own rule or be mistaken on the expiration validity rules.

Things I would worry about are the things that people actually report as having been problems: TWOV rules for China and what "travel via or to third country" means, passport must be signed prior to arrival for entry to Germany, vagueness of rules when entry country to Schengen region is to different country than intended destination or "longest portion of stay," and so on. But passport validity, not so much. In fact, I've traveled internationally with less than 2 weeks validity remaining in my US passport, going to a country which required "passport must be valid upon arrival." I had no problems with airlines or Immigration in either direction. Since I was within the published validity period, nobody even raised an eyebrow. YMMV.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the TS/S Forum (Practical Safety.....)
Thanks
Obscure2K
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.