Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:11 am

Renew Passport via App

Hey everyone, there is an app for renewing your passport without having to go to the post office or passport center. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itse...919521841?mt=8. I used it a few months back and it was wicked easy. Also a good site for all qustions & answers about US passports: https://howtogetapassport.org . Lots of good info.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by karennickerson47
Hey everyone, there is an app for renewing your passport without having to go to the post office or passport center. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itse...919521841?mt=8. I used it a few months back and it was wicked easy. Also a good site for all qustions & answers about US passports: https://howtogetapassport.org . Lots of good info.
Adult renewals don't involve going to office or passport center to begin with. This is essentially a photo printing service.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
You could of course buy a refundable ticket for the next day and go to a passport agency, if you're willing to pay the expedite fee.
The passport agencies that I went to didn't give a rat's [rear end] about why I needed my passport TODAY. I made the appointment, showed up at the agency, went through security, handed my money and forms to the clerk. She asked absolutely nothing about why I needed same-day processing, as long as I paid the extra money. I'm pretty sure they've seen more than their share of BS excuses so they don't bother anymore. I got there when the office opened. She told me to comeback after lunch. Gave me a pick-up slip and wrote 1:15PM on it. I drove back just before 1PM, but it took me another 20 minutes to find a parking spot on the streets in DC. Walked in around 1:30PM. Walked up to the window and shed handed me my new passport. (unfortunately, the picture looked worse than my previous passport)

By the way, does anybody know why the next generation new US passport is coming? I searched here and elsewhere and they all say sometime in late 2017 or early 2018... How can the Department of State not have a release date yet?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:37 am

Yes the current generation passport has appalling photo quality. Mine is also tilted...

State is being gutted, so who knows when new passports will come. Maybe we won't even get them. They're crazy.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:59 am

US Passport expiring in less than 6 months

There is advice on airline web sites which reads:
" . . . it is a common requirement to have a valid passport of at least six months beyond period of intended stay in many countries . . "

My US passport expires at the end of April 2018.
I am flying mid-January 2018 BOS to ZRH (Zurich) and returning later ZRH-FRA-BOS.

Has anybody experienced any problems with a less than 6 month to expire passport at a European border ? Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: LH M+M
  1. All third-country nationals, regardless of their visa obligation status, who wish to enter the Schengen Area through Switzerland must be in possession of a recognized travel document that meets both of the following two requirements:
  • The validity of the travel document must extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the Schengen Area; and
  • the travel document must have been issued within the previous 10 years.
from https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...rigkeit/u.html
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by randywvt
Has anybody experienced any problems with a less than 6 month to expire passport at a European border ? Thanks.
It's not that hard to look up...

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:
  • valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
  • which was issued within the previous 10 years,
and possibly a visa
Additionally check timatic and traveldocs (you can generally find a link to either of them on the visa page of your operating airline)
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC
https://klm.traveldoc.aero

Whether your passport is good or not will depend on what
Originally Posted by randywvt
returning later ZRH-FRA-BOS.
means.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, many people have had problems.

It's usually best to check the requirements of the country you are actually entering, rather than generic airline info. www.ch.ch

Travel documents of third-country nationals for a short stay not exceeding 90 days in any period of 180 days, however, must:

be valid for at least three months after the planned departure from Switzerland and
It's up to you whether saving a few months in renewing your passport is worth betting that a few days either way won't make a difference.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta PM
Renew your passport before travel. Some countries are more of the stickler than others. Switzerland is right up there, so you will be at the mercy of the check-in agent. And it's not a battle you can win.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wxman22
Renew your passport before travel. Some countries are more of the stickler than others. Switzerland is right up there, so you will be at the mercy of the check-in agent. And it's not a battle you can win.
This. We're 4 weeks out, might as well renew it now while you can still do it with an expedite process that isn't one of those in-person processes.

It's the check-in agent that worries me the most. We've had cases here on FT where an internal airline rule is showing an incorrect thing, the passenger knows the correct law, and the passenger can't convince the check-in agent to look at TIMATIC or do whatever he/she needs to do to validate it. Passenger is correct, but still misses the flight.

I worry less about the border agent, assuming you are in fact following their laws.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I had the same problem. My passport was to expire in April. Sent the passport in, and got it back in two weeks. If you tell them your travel plans which they ask for you may get it back sooner. YMMV
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:54 am

Just renew your passport instead of cutting it close to the vest.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are dozens of situations here on FT where people have played this particular situation just a bit short.

Passport renewal is easy and, if OP lives in or near a city with a passport agency, can be done in person and the new passport issued in a few hours or overnighted back. Check the requirements on the State Department website if you intend to pursue this route.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I agree, renew it now to avoid trouble-- like refusal of entry/visa to a foreign country-- later. Look up expedited service and consider using a third-party expediter to help. They can turn it around before you have to leave in January. It'll cost a few extra $$ but I can tell you from personal experience it's worth the eliminating the risk. E.g., what happens if you need to extend your travels while you're already away from home, and you pass inside the 90-day EU limit? What if you come home from your EU trip and find you need to head to China a week later and need 180 day validity there?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: LH M+M
Just think of IRROPS taking you to where the 6 months rule applies..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.