Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Robert, generally you would only use a Passport Agency office for a rush. I've always used one, and the turnaround is from same day (if you're flying that night or the next day) to a couple of days. 7-10 days is well beyond their turnaround times, I think both times, I had mine back in 3 days.
Old May 29, 2011, 5:01 pm

I agree it's wise to renew a passport at the six-months mark, just in case you need to visit a country that requires a six-months validity.

However, to state that "all" or "most" countries require six months is a vast overgeneralisation. Some require six months. Some require three. Many simply require a passport to be valid for the intended duration of your stay.
Old May 29, 2011, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by catocony
Just check on-line for each country's rules. I entered Brasil once on a passport that was expiring in 3 weeks. As long as the passport is valid the day you enter, you're fine.

One piece of advice on your passport renewal - always go to a Passport Agency office, if you live in a city with one. You get your passport in 3 days or less, and you don't have to worry about it getting lost in transit. This is particularly important for people who have visas, since at the Passport Agency, they just punch holes in your old passport to invalidate it and hand it right back to you when you submit paperwork for the renewal. I've known too many people who have had to redo visas when their old passport wasn't returned with their new one when using standard mailing or even FedEx for the mail-in processing.
This is simply not the case. There are many countries which specifically require a specified time period remaining on the passport on the entry date. There is conflicting information on the web. The sole reliable information is the consular official of the nation you are visiting who issues your visa (or if no visa, a senior consular official). The USA has tightened its restrictions for foreign visitors and other countries reciprocate. These things change often and they don't get better. Not worth the problems.
Old May 30, 2011, 8:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
The sole reliable information is the consular official of the nation you are visiting who issues your visa (or if no visa, a senior consular official).
They certainly are not the sole reliable information provider, although it's usually a pretty good bet. Unfortunately even persons in such roles as you mention are not necessarily reliable.
Old May 30, 2011, 8:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I agree it's wise to renew a passport at the six-months mark, just in case you need to visit a country that requires a six-months validity.

However, to state that "all" or "most" countries require six months is a vast overgeneralisation. Some require six months. Some require three. Many simply require a passport to be valid for the intended duration of your stay.
Indeed, including because there may be other conditions/circumstances that may be applicable for a foreigner who presents himself/herself/dependents at a port of entry.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I'm only speaking about Brasil, which should have been clear but I guess not.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're traveling to countries in the so-called "Six Month Club" you should be okay with a soon-to-expire passport. It is, however, prudent to renew if you can.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...n_04162008.pdf
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Should I renew my US passport?

Hi All,

Should I renewals my passports? When my passports is expired. Those date is on November 8, 2017. Can I travel to Europe? How I can get a renewals passports for another 10 years? Any suggestions?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:41 am

Your passport should be renewed about 7 months before the expiration date. As it is a simple renewal you will be able to renew by mail. Send in the renewal form, new passport photos, and your current passport. And of course, your $$!

Here is the information and form you need:
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...rts/renew.html

My rule for my family is that your current passport is fine for traveling to Europe until 6 months before the expiration date.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
There is no 6-month rule for Europe (although there is for some countries).
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It might not be worth paying to renew the passport when the time comes unless you have definite international travel planned, particularly if you tend to purchase tickets far in advance to save money. Even expired USA passports can be renewed for at least several years using the standard mail procedure.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:54 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi All,

Should I renewals my passports? When my passports is expired. Those date is on November 8, 2017. Can I travel to Europe? How I can get a renewals passports for another 10 years? Any suggestions?
I think renewing your passport is a very good idea. It is always good to have a valid passport just in case you decide to go on a last minute trip to Switzerland. In 2017, around May, I suggest going to a post office where you can renew your passport. You will have to have new pictures taken, which you can do at a CVS. Bring your old passport with you. It will be returned with your new passport.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I don't know the rules for every country but my brother had 5 months left on his British/European passport before expiry, a visa for China require his passport to be valid for at least 6 months.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:49 pm

The OP is asking about Europe, in particular. I don't know the rules for every single European country, but for the Schengen countries passports only need to be valid three months beyond the date of intended departure, and for the UK they need to be valid only for the duration of intended stay.

As the OP's passport does not expire until November 2017 there is currently no rush whatsoever!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
The OP is asking about Europe, in particular. I don't know the rules for every single European country, but for the Schengen countries passports only need to be valid three months beyond the date of intended departure, and for the UK they need to be valid only for the duration of intended stay.

As the OP's passport does not expire until November 2017 there is currently no rush whatsoever!
Thanks for your helps. I already bought a ticket in a few weeks ago. I got cheap price and the tickets price is $872 RT all-in. I don't have any problems with my passport. I'm going back to BSL on February 24, 2017. When I come home from trips. I will do renew my passport. We will work on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.