Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PV speaks out on Phil's case

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by Bcteagirl
Blog updated. They are however still making it sound as though he was 'uncooperative' and that was the reason the alternate was stopped.

He was acquitted, but it was all his fault for not cooperating.
Of course.

Bob and the TSA are working diligently to get their "Certified Propogandists" credentials.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 2:40 pm

Thanks, Bob.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:06 pm

Perhaps if the TSOs had just been dealing with one issue, the lack of ID, things would have gone well for them, and Phil might have passed through the CP after he had undergone the alternative processing. Add a second layer, the camera, and suddenly they had more (two simultaneous processes) than their training could handle. Throw in a third layer, that Phil remained calm but stood up for his rights, and suddenly the LEO community was necessary. Multi-layered civil disobedience is effective. ^ What would have gone down if there had been 20 layers of civil disobedience?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:10 pm

ABQ arrest: What disobedience?

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Multi-layered civil disobedience is effective. ^
Just to be clear: the only people I disobeyed were Mr. Breedon, the security guard, and Mr. Romero, his shift manager. I followed the rules (best I can tell, given that TSA refuses to publish them), obeyed the law, and did everything the police ordered me to do (with the exception of showing them documentation of my identity, which was impossible).
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps if the TSOs had just been dealing with one issue, the lack of ID, things would have gone well for them, and Phil might have passed through the CP after he had undergone the alternative processing. Add a second layer, the camera, and suddenly they had more (two simultaneous processes) than their training could handle. Throw in a third layer, that Phil remained calm but stood up for his rights, and suddenly the LEO community was necessary. Multi-layered civil disobedience is effective. ^ What would have gone down if there had been 20 layers of civil disobedience?
A TSM was on scene. If a person of that level in TSA does not know the rules or is incapable of reacting to an unusual situation then TSA needs to go back to square one on every aspect of TSA training and promotion qualifications.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jan 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
He's still lying by implication:

Originally Posted by Bloghdad Bob
TSA verification processes must proceed quickly and without interference. Any passenger holding a camera in the face of TSOs as they try verify identification should not be surprised if asked to step aside so that other passengers in line can be processed expeditiously without further disruption.
Phil was not asked to step aside, nor was any evidence presented that he was interfering with the screening any way.

The TSO falsely told Phil that he was not allowed to film at the check point. Period. End of story.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
He's still lying by implication
If Bloghdad Bob actually told the truth - the whole truth - in any new post, I think maybe a third of the regular readers of PV would simply die of shock.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by pmocek
Just to be clear: the only people I disobeyed were Mr. Breedon, the security guard, and Mr. Romero, his shift manager. I followed the rules (best I can tell, given that TSA refuses to publish them), obeyed the law, and did everything the police ordered me to do (with the exception of showing them documentation of my identity, which was impossible).
I understand, and I think that civil disobedience is a positive way of expressing a viewpoint. I admire what you accomplished. My comment was more about the TSA training and lack of ability to deal with more than one facet of an issue at a time.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Thanks, Bob.
With friends like Blogdad Bob, who needs enemas?

Originally Posted by Caradoc
If Bloghdad Bob actually told the truth - the whole truth - in any new post, I think maybe a third of the regular readers of PV would simply die of shock.
No, I would inquire if his login was hacked.

I understand, and I think that civil disobedience is a positive way of expressing a viewpoint. I admire what you accomplished. My comment was more about the TSA training and lack of ability to deal with more than one facet of an issue at a time.
If you're expecting WalMart greeter rejects to walk and chew gum at the same time, your expectations are way too high.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Originally Posted by n4zhg
No, I would inquire if his login was hacked.
In my humble yet uninformed opinion ... I think there's a simpler explanation.
(Obligatory disclaimer: these are my uninformed opinions only; your mileage may vary.)

I've been reading the TSA Blog almost since its inception. I can remember a time when Bob made postings directly in response to users within items. Granted, Bob has always offered the official TSA position on issues, but at least he answered questions. At times, he admitted where TSA's policies were weak. Heck, he solicited questions from time to time.

As my memory serves, that all changed when Kip Hawley left TSA with the arrival of the Obama administration in January 2009. At that point, others took over the leadership of TSA. Gale Rossides held Hawley's position until Pistole was finally confirmed. I'm sure there were other changes in the leadership of TSA along the way as well.

I noted a gradual change in the tone of the TSA Blog after that point. Bob became less responsive to inline questions, often not responding at all. Lead postings seemed to read much more like TSA press releases, after they'd been edited by many editors, concerned more with repeating official position statements than providing responses to public questions.

I wonder if the post-Hawley TSA decided to reign in Bob's ability to speak freely on the blog. That would explain much. (Of course, there's no way to prove or disprove such speculations; TSA would deny it did any such thing, whether or not it actually did so.)
Old Jan 30, 2011, 4:58 pm

ABQ arrest video: airport security manager Romero appears at 0:32

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
A TSM was on screen.
TSM = airport security shift manager. In this case, it was Gerald Romero, who becomes visible at 0:32 into the video. He's the man in plain clothes who scowled at me, reached for me and/or my camera, refused to tell me his name when I asked him to do so, and repeatedly asked, then ordered, me to put my camera down. He had no authority to compel me to do so, and I did not do so.

Despite Officer Dilley requesting a statement from TSA staff who were involved, and specifically asking for one from Mr. Romero (in one of the police radio recordings, Dilley is heard saying, "Can you get statements from all the TSA people? We need written statements from them. Ask them to be detailed please, especially Gerald.") there was no statement from Mr. Romero in the public records I received from the City of Albuquerque. The state planned to call him as a witness, and we interviewed him, but after the DA saw my video (we voluntarily provided it when I was down there last month), the state's witness list was reduced from eight to two.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If a person of that level in TSA does not know the rules
I know people have heard me harp about this for years, but until we can read the rules, there is no way to know whether or not anyone is following them.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bcteagirl
Blog updated. They are however still making it sound as though he was 'uncooperative' and that was the reason the alternate was stopped.

He was acquitted, but it was all his fault for not cooperating.
As pointed out above about the updated blog:

TSA verification processes must proceed quickly and without interference. Any passenger holding a camera in the face of TSOs as they try verify identification should not be surprised if asked to step aside so that other passengers in line can be processed expeditiously without further disruption.
I find this to be quite chilling. That I am recording an interaction with the TSA with no impediment to the TSO doing his job can be grounds for stopping the procedure is unconscionable.

Then again, the fact that Phil's video was erased while in the custody of the government is no less chilling.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Can someone explain the first sentence of the update to me:

I referred to recent media coverage (which was all about Mr. Mocek's acquittal).
Where did Bob refer to recent media coverage in the initial thread? This sentence means nothing - the only thing I see that it does is to finally acknowledge in writing on the blog that Phil was acquitted.

Perhaps Bob was flustered as a result of hearing today from the OIG?

Last edited by doober; Jan 30, 2011 at 7:29 pm
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Where did Bob refer to recent media coverage in the initial thread?
The first line of Bob's original posting makes a non-specific reference to the media:

A recent case - New Mexico v. Phillip Mocek - is making the news recently.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSM = airport security shift manager. In this case, it was Gerald Romero, who becomes visible at 0:32 into the video. He's the man in plain clothes who scowled at me, reached for me and/or my camera, refused to tell me his name when I asked him to do so, and repeatedly asked, then ordered, me to put my camera down. He had no authority to compel me to do so, and I did not do so.

Despite Officer Dilley requesting a statement from TSA staff who were involved, and specifically asking for one from Mr. Romero (in one of the police radio recordings, Dilley is heard saying, "Can you get statements from all the TSA people? We need written statements from them. Ask them to be detailed please, especially Gerald.") there was no statement from Mr. Romero in the public records I received from the City of Albuquerque. The state planned to call him as a witness, and we interviewed him, but after the DA saw my video (we voluntarily provided it when I was down there last month), the state's witness list was reduced from eight to two.

I know people have heard me harp about this for years, but until we can read the rules, there is no way to know whether or not anyone is following them.
Phil, in your video it really looks like TSM Romero made contact with you or possibly your camera. Did he touch you in any way?

I completely agree with you on TSA's secret rules and not being able to comply with them all while TSA is requiring compliance with significant fines or even getting law enforcement involved for not knowing what rules must be complied with.

It is truly a ridiculous situation and certainly not one which any person who respects our Constitution would be party to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.